Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys, I just recently bought a 2001 GSX-R 1000 and am still trying to get used to it. There's only 1 thing I don't like about the bike. Whenever I am riding around town and let off the throttle, when I twist the throttle even a tiny bit, it'll feel like it kicks hard. Another way to explain this is like when you turn on a light switch. It is very similar to that. It doesn't kick so hard that I can't control it, but it isn't smooth at all. I was riding at skaggs spring road the other day and I would have to always have a little throttle going into the corner or else I wouldn't be able to travel smoothly into the turn and throttle out of it. This is fine for me when I'm in the twisties, but what am I supposed to do when I'm riding home from work or school? I've never ridden any other gix 1000's, so I don't know if that is just how they are. Any suggestions from anyone?

·
Registered
97 Posts
:lol Thats just the power of the 1000 :twofinger You will get used to it. Enjoy and be safe. :alky

·
Registered
918 Posts
Fuel injection is a bit twitchy. It has a real On/Off feeling. Some people claim that a TRE will help this problem, but I have one and haven't noticed a difference.

·
Registered
137 Posts
TRE? excuse me for being ignorant... what is a TRE?

evildead said:
Fuel injection is a bit twitchy. It has a real On/Off feeling. Some people claim that a TRE will help this problem, but I have one and havnen't noticed a difference.
What is a TRE?

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
TRE doesn't do much for throttle response, at all.... Sometimes I miss my perfectly tuned carbs. Really!
FI is great but it isn't the godsend it should be.

The condition you described is exactly how mine is after my pipe install.

If you really want to get that smoooooth throttle response back, get a PCIII or EMS unit from Yosh.
Do some tuning with it and smooth that throttle right out.
It's in there somewhere, you just have to find it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jk750 said:
If you really want to get that smoooooth throttle response back, get a PCIII or EMS unit from Yosh.
Do some tuning with it and smooth that throttle right out.
It's in there somewhere, you just have to find it.
Thanks for all of your help everyone. I think I'll purchase a PCIII as my next upgrade! :)

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
how do you setup the fuel mapping to smooth out the throttle?

·
Gordon
124 Posts
on/off throttle

also check your throttle cables for lash..... :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was riding to work the other day and saw that my throttle cable jumps everytime I give it gas... I tightened the top bolt and the bolt after the curve, but it still jerks. I think this is causing the problem, how do I tighten it so that it stops jumping around?

·
Gordon
124 Posts
throttle cables

There are also some adjustment bolts under the tank where they connect
to the FI..... :egrin

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Be VERY careful adjusting those throttle cables. They have some slack in them for a reason!

Turn your bars all the way to the right and to the left. If you take out all of the slack your throttle butterflies
may open or close slightly inadvertantly from the cable tension. :eek:

The first generation fuel injection on all these sport bikes is notoriously
jerky and abrupt.

That's why Yamaha, Suzuki and others introduced the secondary ecu controlled butterflies.

It helps, but isn't a total cure. These throttle bodies are relatively HUGE compared to a car engine, and getting
them to meter properly at very low rpms is quite a challenge.

I have found that the PCIIIusb can be tuned to really help in this area.

Nothing meters like a perfectly tuned set of semi-flat side carbs, imo.
The first gen Yamaha R1 had the best factory carbs ever, and their FI is right there as well.
Suzuki FI is close in stock form, but that on-off abruptness needs to be smoothed out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree that you should not mess with the throttle cables unless you really know what you are doing. The Gixxer is known for a twitchy throttle. A Powercommander and new map helped a bit on mine at lower throttle opening but not much right off the bottom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, my brother, who has been working on sportbikes over 15 years, fixed the throttle response problem. He adjusted some fuel/air ratio screws and then sprayed wd-40 on the motor that opens and closes the exhaust valves. The bike has awesome throttle response now! What sucks though is that now I have a new problem...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tre, full Akra system, BMC street filter and PC with map from Dynojet on mine and smooth as silk :)

Start with a TRE. It works for me and the throttle has this more "crispy" feeling to it an the bike became more ridable/smooth in slow traffic.

This guy makes some. I got the switchable version which can be helpful at cold starts.

:cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts