Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening all,

A friend of mine has a gsxf750 with the digital trip counter stuck on 99,999. He spoke to some guy at a local suzuki dealer who said it was the y2k bug? Does anyone know how to reset the counter back to '0' so he can at least keep track on how many K's he doing for servicing etc. Been given a quote of $800 bucks for a replacement. There must be a way of resetting the chip.

Help much appreciated.

Mr-b

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
jk750,

Thanks for the reply.

The bike is a DEC 98 and yes both odometer and trip counter have froze.

I got the post a little muddled up. The odemeter was working find on the bike during a ride when he noticed the odometer reading 99,997. He rode the bike further up the road to see what happens after it reached 99,999 and that's when it froze. The trip counter is also stuck on something (not sure what though). It's been like this for a few months and the battery has also been replaced on the bike during this time, so removing the power does nothing.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Hmm... that's a lot of miles on that bike. :joke

I'm not sure what the problem is, especially since it effects the odometer too.
The reset button obviosly has no effect...

I'm thinking that it is a bad instrument panel. There must be a small power source, a tiny battery in there that keeps the odometer memory after the bike is turned off or main battery disconnected... that power source may have gone bad.

I'm going to look into this further and get back to this. I'm also going to cross post this in the Help me fix it forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in Australia so the odometer reading 99,999 Kilometers equates to 62,149 miles which isn't that much for a bike that gets serviced more regularly than the average bike - It was the previous owners baby :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts