Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is selling a gsx-r1000 K1 with less than 3000 miles on it. the only draw back is (um yeah) the frame is bent. It is not noticeable until you put the fairing back on and the front wheel clears the fairing by about an inch and a half. Does anyone know anything about the Fram Jig machines?
how much does it cost? how much does this kind of work decrease the strength of the Frame? Any feed back would be great!

·
Registered
456 Posts
how much is he selling it for? what year? best thing is buy it then buy a title'dable frame, then swap parts

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
with a bent frame? HA! I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot unbent poll....

·
Registered
681 Posts
And just how little experience(seat time) did he have when it got bent??? How much do you have when considering this purchase???

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I would not buy it unless you plan on buying a new frame, checking all previous parts you want to move to the new frame, and then install every bolt into the new frame to the torque specs of the manufacturer. In the end I doubt this is something you will want to do and riding with a bent frame is not acceptable, especially with a 160 HP superbike.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time on it.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
The steering and suspension geometry configuration for these 150 horsepower superbikes is extremely precise. There is no way I would ride the bike with a bent frame. There is so much stress and pressure that you dont even realize that gets transferred through the frame. Even a small ding can turn into a weak spot and be a prime spot for a catastrophic failure. Believe me, Ive seen it happen. Definately plan on a frame swap.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
if the price is right, i'd get it, and do a frame swap. no way would I ride it with a bent frame.

·
Registered
304 Posts
ZXLNT said:
Can you post a picture showing how bad its bent..
If it's bent badly enough to see in a picture, it's pretty much done. A doorstop.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bend is so slight you can't see it in a picture. I have been riding for 10 years. begining and advanced riders course. first bike was 92 F2 then a 95 cbr, then a 98 superhawk. I was curious about the fram gig machine, anyone have experience with one?

·
Registered
842 Posts
doesnt computrack straighten race bike frames? dial in numbers for bikes right from the factory? maybe you should consult computrack for details on whats acceptable as far as what their service team can support as something fixable under their standards... I heard though that they can bring a frame into higher specs than right off the assembly line. just heresay but maybe worth looking into...

heres the address, these guys set up frames like crazy for racers all the time. i wouldnt be afraid of buying a bent bike if its a deal enough to figure in these dudes...

http://www.gmdcomputrack.com/

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
before committing to it. you outta look into the gmd computrac as someon mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
321 Posts
ghillie14 said:
A friend of mine is selling a gsx-r1000 K1 with less than 3000 miles on it. the only draw back is (um yeah) the frame is bent. It is not noticeable until you put the fairing back on and the front wheel clears the fairing by about an inch and a half. Does anyone know anything about the Fram Jig machines?
how much does it cost? how much does this kind of work decrease the strength of the Frame? Any feed back would be great!
A while back, I ran across a phuckin tree in the road at big speed on my gixxer. Didn't go down, but did mucho damage to my gixxer. Banged both wheels, fairing and the frame was tweaked. After all the hassle with the repair shop, I was advised to take it to a frame shop(Computrak). They checked and told me the frame was tweaked/bent, and they could make it straight again. I asked the same question on the net, how would a straighten frame be??

The response I got was, frames straighten by shops such as Computrak are better than stock. Because they put the specs dead on. Also, I found out about the "sweet numbers" too. Computrak changes the geometry of the rake and trail so the bike will handle better. Long story short :), I got the frame on my gixxer straighten and the "sweet numbers" added. She falls into corners and runs straight and true..

My frame was fixed by Marc Sherwood of Computrak. Don't think his shop is there anymore, but you can find them on the internet.

ceh
2001 GSX R1000
2003 RC51
(63 & fast)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Guys, the price must be phenominal since he's not telling you vultures.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts