Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this is the deal-e-o.. on my 96' F3 everyting I shift into second, it grinds or it throws itself into neutral. Now, least yr when I threw a chain I of course replaced both sprockets. The same as before, 15-45. Didn't change the manufacture or material type. Yes, I pull the clutch all the way in. It seems like as if I have to slam the living heck out of it to go in with out cruntching. I've had no problem in any other gear. It's stating to wear on me. I've looked and looked at it, till I can look no more. :feedback

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Did this start happening right after the chain/sprocket change?
Either way, it sounds like a bent shift dog to me. It happens... Only way to know for sure is to open up the tranny. :mad:
Not a major repair, but a little over my head...

Just my $.02. Good luck, Japbike!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn ittttttttttttttttt! don't tell me that, I dont wanna do tranny work.. :mad: naw, this actualy started a while back, but it's progresivly become worse. oh pooo, well, I'll just have to take a look see...

thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Does the clutch drag any?? Maybe when you're sitting at a light with the bike in gear holding the clutch lever in, the bike tries to pull forward??? If so, then check/adjust your cable where it enters the engine case to make sure it's releasing all the way.

If not, then I agree - Bent Shift dog/fork...

Scott :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
its the second gear dogs that engage into the gear next to it. if not then its the shift detent...

·
Registered
29 Posts
as stated: Second gear worn, dogs etc. Check the gear number 5 while you're in there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 95 F3 and the same thing is happening to me. Its not really bad at this point, but who knows?

Japbike: How many miles are on your F3?

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scotteq said:
Does the clutch drag any?? Maybe when you're sitting at a light with the bike in gear holding the clutch lever in, the bike tries to pull forward??? If so, then check/adjust your cable where it enters the engine case to make sure it's releasing all the way.

If not, then I agree - Bent Shift dog/fork...

Scott :(

Usually at a light Im in nuetral, but when I am sitting for a shot time in 1st, It dosent pull. So, see that's where Im at a lose. When I say I have to kick the shyt out of it, to get into 2nd, Im not kidding.

hmmmmm bent hu? well, good a day as any to look into it.
Thanks.....

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tonewhy said:
I have a 95 F3 and the same thing is happening to me. Its not really bad at this point, but who knows?

Japbike: How many miles are on your F3?

she's at about 20,000. I dont ride her as much as I should, but I also have an 01 929RR.. soI pick and chose whom to ride.

I've heard this from other F3 owners. It always seems to be just 2nd. How weird.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check the easy stuff first. The first to second shift on most bikes has the longest throw of the shifter. Make sure that the shift lever and leakages are moving as far as they should be and that nothing is binding. Too much play caused by worn fittings can cause this problem. Check this out before opening the cases. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stimy25 said:
Fairly simple repair.

well if so, then come repair it... :D maybe that'll be a "this week-end" project

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
japbike said:
damn ittttttttttttttttt! don't tell me that, I dont wanna do tranny work.. :mad: naw, this actualy started a while back, but it's progresivly become worse. oh pooo, well, I'll just have to take a look see...

thanks
It sounds like the dogs are worn and/or damaged to the point where the gear A & B cogs are not fully engaging, locking into position.

Could also be the 1 & 2 gear shift fork. Bent baby bent!

But start with some of the simpler checks before cracking the cases. Check and adjust the clutch cable as needed. Also check, adjust or replace the foot shifter apparatus. Otherwise, INTO THE CASES YOU GO!

SORRY

1 - 13 of 13 Posts