Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just bought my first motorcycle about 3 weeks ago and love it. I have approximately 250 miles on it now. I spent alot of time researching (and lurking here) before deciding to go with the FZ6. I decided I wanted a naked/sports bike and originally thought to go with the Suzuki sv650, but the FZ looks so much nicer imo and comes with extras not offered on the others. I was fortunate to have a friend who is an experienced rider and he gave me some riding lessons, and I feel pretty comfortable on the bike (except when I have tailgaters 6" from my a$$ even when doing 5-10 miles over the speed limit grr). Most guys my age or older that I know who ride (I'm 36) have a harley or a big cruiser of some sort, but those bikes just don't appeal to me. Anyhow, if there are any wannabe riders out there who are considering this bike I highly recommend it it's a blast!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Hi there.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
you have joined an elite crew...or something like that

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
Congrats. Welcome to the club. Get one of the guys to teach you the secret handshake.

·
Registered
898 Posts
And also put all your credit carda and money in a place where you cannot get to it because with all the mods and stuff here you will go broke

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I am going to try to keep it stock for as long as I can, just throw some grips and a tank pad on it, and maybe tint the windshield. But if they ever come out with a missle launcher for it I will be the first in line...

·
Registered
194 Posts
:cheers Do yourself a favor and go take a motorcycle safety course. You will learn A LOT from it. Riding a motorcycle and riding a bike are two totally different things. Just looking out for ya.. don't want to see my fellow bretherens get hurt from inexperience. :cheers Welcome :beer

·
Registered
457 Posts
Welcome to the FZ6 corner,

...abandon all wallets, ye who enter here ...

·
Registered
127 Posts
taurus574 said:
:cheers Do yourself a favor and go take a motorcycle safety course. You will learn A LOT from it. Riding a motorcycle and riding a bike are two totally different things. Just looking out for ya.. don't want to see my fellow bretherens get hurt from inexperience. :cheers Welcome :beer

+1 very good advice. The FZ6 is very "capable" once you hit 7-8000 rpm, I'd suggest taking it easy for a while until you get smooth and confident, then take it up a notch slowly. There's lots of time to enjoy riding... as long as you stay sane and do what you can to cut the risks.

edit: forget mods, buy gear! You can never have enough armor.

·
Registered
828 Posts
DrunkenBatman said:
Thanks for the advice, I am registering for a basic riders class in sept.
:dblthumb You will not regret it. Very nice insurance discount, but way more important: you'll know a lot more about how not to die riding. And that gives you the freedom to feel great riding!

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
another +1 on motorcycle safety course. besides the fact that it's educational...it's also a hell of a lot of fun!

btw, state farm does not offer a discount :(

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
My insurance company gave no discounts for the safety course I did either, which is pretty silly if you ask me. This kind of thing should be encouraged more.

I'm going back for the advanced training early, early, next spring to spruce up with.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
:welcome

Keeping it stock as long as you can: Uh huh, right. First the screen, then sliders, an FE, and before you know it you're designing your own custom parts. Just ask Mofo.

You should download the service manual and peruse that. You'll want it eventually.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Cheers,

I am older than you and I also was delighted to choose the FZ6 over any cruiser. While cruisers are popular with the older crowd, I quickly found a few riding clubs in town that ride with our type of bike (sports and touring).

Glad to hear your registered for the course - best thing you can do for the bike and yourself.

Get frame sliders on it immediately. Even cautious riders occasionally dump the bike - I saw a newbie last night have his bike fall down just after he braced it on its sidestand (guess it wasn't locked in place).

Next, get riding gear - also immediately. IE: helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, and at least kevlar jeans (leather pants are better).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts