Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, a warning, I'm a GPS noob, never used one, in fact, never even seen one. I know what they are and how they work, but I'm curious about exactly how feature rich GPS units are. For example:

Do GPS units show you a map (and roads) of the area you are currently in? If so, do they get those maps automaticcally or do you have to somehow upload them to the unit? Can you program a route into them, making it easier for you to travel by not having to mess around with a map so often?

I guess my questions really boil down to, what other features do these units off you aside from tracking your positional coordinates and your velocity?

Thanks in advance,
-Q

·
Registered
205 Posts
qualdoth said:
First off, a warning, I'm a GPS noob, never used one, in fact, never even seen one. I know what they are and how they work, but I'm curious about exactly how feature rich GPS units are. For example:

Do GPS units show you a map (and roads) of the area you are currently in? If so, do they get those maps automaticcally or do you have to somehow upload them to the unit? Can you program a route into them, making it easier for you to travel by not having to mess around with a map so often?

I guess my questions really boil down to, what other features do these units off you aside from tracking your positional coordinates and your velocity?

Thanks in advance,
-Q

www.garmin.com/mobile

www.magellangps.com

Do some research and you will find out all you need to know.

Skippy

·
Registered
70 Posts
GPS are nice when navigating Farm to Market Roads.

I use a GPS (Lowrance I-Finder..cheapo) when we go on our bi-monthly rides. Mine has base maps built in and I can opt to download more detailed maps. You can find mounts for them at www.gpscity.com or on ebay just search for RAM mounts. Mostly, I use it to find a more direct route back to the house as some of our ride destinations end in the middle of nowhere at some small town lunch stop.
Once you get a GPS, you can have some real fun with them by Geocaching. Check out www.geocaching.com. It is an addictive sport and my whole family enjoys going on geocaching treks. You would be suprised at how many caches people have hidden in parks, downtown, train stations, flower gardens, landmarks and more. It is lots of fun and gives you a chance to use that GPS!

·
Registered
130 Posts
My wife was telling me about that, then she asked if I had one of those, uumm yyess dear what are the chances of that!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, thanks for the links. These will definitely get me started.

-Q

1 - 5 of 5 Posts