Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has ever done or heard of doing what I'm thinking or trying to do. I got me a 636 bout a year ago, all is fine and dandy except for my car decided to break down lol. So I'm gonna need to have a car so I can get to school and work. I was thinking of trying to trade in the bike at a car dealer on a car, I can't sell the bike cause I owe more on the loan than the bikes worth and I was wondering if I could use it like you would use a car in a trade in and they pay off the balance and put it on the car?? Anyone got anything bout that?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I know some dealers will take bikes because a friend of mine traded in his R1 on a Hyundai last year. He had paid it off, so it's not the same situation as yours.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
hmmm...some places advetise they will trade for anything they don't have to feed, but not sure in your area.

·
Registered
361 Posts
dude,

I know alot of car dealerships will take a bike in trade, but if your upside down they might not (and your upside down) what about trading in the car, or just fixing the car.

If you tell me you don't have the money, think about this...

A dealership is going to give you $4500~$5K for that bike (it sucks, but it's true) you owe $7K if you buy a $15K car, you will have to pay about $1200 in taxes, tags, doc fees, etc. now if you have no money to put down, you are borrowing $18000 on a car that as soon as you leave the showroom floor it's worth $12K. and unless you keep the car for a long period of time, this viscous cycle will continue to get worse and worse. If you have money to put down, then you are not that bad off. I would find out how much that bike is worth private party and pay off the difference with your car downpayment money. Then walk into the car dealership and purchase that new car with no trade in (or trade in the old car)

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
do you have a zx-10r also?

and yes you can trade in your bike at a dealership, but it depends on the dealership, and your gonna get bent over.

·
Registered
791 Posts
why not just craiglist it at $7000 FIRM? its free to list. plus u already have another bike you greedy bastard :upyours

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Just don't understand why you have two bikes, but not enough money to fix or buy a car? Seems like your priorities and finances are a little out of whack.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
You are going to lose big if you trade-in anything that you are still upside down on. I did it with a car one time and it was a hell of a mistake. I'm betting a car dealer will bend you over - "Well, it's a bike and we don't sell bikes, so we have to send it to the auction and they aren't going to give us very much for it..." You'll be paying for the loan on that bike for years.

What I think you should so is scrape together some money and go buy a used hunk of junk and drive that back and forth to work. One of the best cars I ever owned was a 1986 Nissan 200SX Turbo I bought for 500 bucks. I spent about another $150 giving it a tune-up, changing the oil and on a pair of seat covers. After that I drove the hell out of it. The next year, when I was back on my feet, I sold it for about what I paid for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yea I have 2 bikes because one was a gift for graduation and the other I already had so yea but I spoke to them and they were gonna give me 6,000 for my bike and I was gonna put the rest on a truck I have the money to fix my jeep I just am tired of puttin money into something that aint worth it so thats where my priorities are lol. But yea I dunno it might not be that bad of deal cause I got some cash to put down but to anyone in colorado yes they do take bikes as trade in's. And yea I was thinkin of buyin another crapy car like my jeep and just drivin it till I can buy a car cash and have no monthy payment but it would be nice to have a new car.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
YammyR1 said:
Just don't understand why you have two bikes, but not enough money to fix or buy a car? Seems like your priorities and finances are a little out of whack.

I think his priorities are perfectly aligned

my car 197,000 miles
F4 29,000 miles
looking for a new car this winter but I think Ill get a second bike first :)
my advice fix the damn car, whats wrong with it?

and new cars are overrated, I cant drag my knees out the door in my car no matter how hard I try

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yea I had the jeep checked out and it lost compression so its a gasket or valve or something didnt really pay much attention when the guy quoted like 1500 or up so I was like screw it so yea, eh you might be able to drag a knee out the jeep lol just hang out haha.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
micah333 said:
Yea I have 2 bikes because one was a gift for graduation and the other I already had so yea

Just curious if they are any openings in your family?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Juggalo said:
I cant drag my knees out the door in my car no matter how hard I try

There's a pic on here somewhere of just that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol

Nah no openings in the family LOL, actually my grandma had some mutal funds or stocks set aside for me and she got me the bike with those and I have some left for school so its all good, and I own the 10r thats the one she got me, I dont wanna get rid of it for a car so looks like I'll have to try and work with gettin rid of the 636.

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
Seriously, like someone else said before, scrape up 500-800 bones and buy a junker car and keep the two bikes!!! Priorities, shmiorities! You are only allowed to be young and dumb once!

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
why didnt ur gradma pay off ur 636... ?

basically ur system of thinking will lead u to no good things

1 - 20 of 21 Posts