Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kind of a strange night. I was coming home from work in Monroe, GA and going to Athens, GA. Got to Athens and was turning onto a side street right off of 316 and there was a bike in the middle of the road with a van in front of it. Apparently, the guy whose bike it was was arrested for speeding as well as having a warrant out on him for failure to appear for a previous ticket.

His gf said he had appeared for it and she was there with him. Don't really know the whole story, but he got arrested and the bike was released to her.
She had called a tow truck to come get the bike right before I got there. Since I was going slow to pass, she flagged me down and asked me if I would ride it back to her bf's apartment.

I said sure, why not.
Difference between his bike and mine was night and day. I dare say I preferred my F3 over the 1K. The throttle was way too twitchy from the start and it must have had a steering damper. The steering was extremely heavy compared to mine.

Anyways, that is my random story for the night.

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
Bahaha I wish some random foo asked me to take their 1k for a spin. Cya in a couple hours. Kinda like the guy at a gas station who asked me to sit on his wicked ass chopper so he could check the oil. "Sure, I'd love to sit on your $30,000 custom." Nice of you to help them out. The guy on the chopper said he'd asked 2 other people who refused for whatever reason.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took the bike through a couple of pretty nice turns and rode it about 3 or 4 miles. didn't really get out of 3rd gear.

Seems like if it had a damper, it needed to be set a couple of notches down from what it was on to make it easily flickable.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it was a new 1k because it had the stacked headlights. It also had around 976 miles on it if I read the odo correctly.

The gf was really distraught telling me the whole story about how he had been given a breathalyzer and all this stuff. I just thought it was really really strange.
The bike sounded like it had a pipe on it as well. It definitely didn't sound anything like my old neighbor's 02 1k.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It "felt" like it had a damper and "sounded" like it had a pipe?

Did you ride it blindfolded?

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
freeride said:
It "felt" like it had a damper and "sounded" like it had a pipe?

Did you ride it blindfolded?

That's what I was thinking, I mean did you look down at all? Because the steering damper would have been there in plain sight. :flipa

·
Registered
533 Posts
they do come w/ a damper stock right, but it's not really in plain view i thought..

but the pipe i mean... you didn't just bother to take a quick glance at it??

·
Believe It or Not........
5,339 Posts
If u didn't look the thing over before throwing a leg over, u could've been in the news!! Always do a quick once over before jumping on any bike let alone a stranger's bike!

Good of you to do btw!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did look it over before i jumped on it. it was 930 at night on a side street with no light poles so i had to go by the light from the van. the pipe wasn't badged, but had a wider opening than stock exhausts.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, not the smartest thing in the world, but Athens is pretty safe. People around here leave their garages wide open and go to work and don't worry about anything.

Do GSXR's normally have an on/off like feel to them with the throttle. To me it just seemed very abrupt when barely opening up the throttle. I know it has a lot more power and torque than my bike, but it just seems that it would still be smooth.

·
Registered
681 Posts
2 ??? was she good looking and did ya get some for the favor?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nah, I didn't get any favors for doing it being married and all. She told me to thank my wife and say sorry for taking my time since I was meeting her for dinner with some friends.

She was pretty, but nothing doing there.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Handling the throttle once it was off of idle and with input was easy. Starting from a stop, the throttle was very touchy as well as if I was decelerating then I wanted to accelerate again.

I want to ride the bike again, now....and I said I would never want a liter bike, especially not a 1K since that seems to be the popular bike for everyone and their brother.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
paulF3 said:
....and I said I would never want a liter bike, especially not a 1K since that seems to be the popular bike for everyone and their brother.
?????????????

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I meant a GSXR 1K. I would like to be different than everyone else if I get a new/newer bike.

A 600 has enough power for the street or track, and I never really saw the point in a b***** bike until I rode the one last night. You definitely don't have to bang through the gears at all. 2nd gear is probably tall enough for any street riding I would do besides the highway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts