Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
The Premed
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming back from school today, and pulled up next to a corvette at the
lights .Once the light turned green, the corvette began to take off before me, and the momentary lapse of common sense made my gun the throttle. So im still behind the corvette, when he slows down, and so do I.
What speed are we at ? 45-50 mph in a 45 mph zone. We go a bit further just to
have a cop pull both of us over and issued us a citation for "racing on a
highway". The cop acknowledged that we dint break any speed limits, but he said
"accelerations with 2 people beside each other is called racing". He said, if
either of you were alone and took off, it wouldnt be a problem, but since both
of you did it together, its called racing. Then I told him that even before
taking off we made no signs calling for a race, and the cop agreed to that too.
So Ive got to appear before a judge in 3 weeks. Has anyone gone through this
before ? Is there any chance this can be thrown out ? I have a clean driving
record, and this would be my first ticket. Is it good to go with a lawyer ?
Please help me.
Sunny,

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you get a lawyer best thing he or she can do for you is know the judge and get the ticket reduced, points dropped etc.. You'd still have to pay the 300+ for the lawyer though...

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
racing has become a pretty big deal, and i think alot of states have bumped it up to a felony.........

get an atty.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The judge threw my ticket out. He said that if that were the case, every car on the road is breaking the law. He said that if we had exhibited speed or a clear intent to race, then that would have fallen under the law. He told the officer(Orange county) To "use better judgement with regards to enforcing the law"

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Thats horseshit. He acknowledged neither of you sped or made signs that you were racing. So what happens at a stop light where 2 people leave at the same time? Fight it man. You were both riding or driving police magnets however, so thats not in your favor. Profiling at its best. That will kill your insurance rate if they land that bs on ya too.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
hmm, so anytime i'm next to someone at a stop light on a 4 lane highway and the light turns green we are racing because we are both accelrating?

yeah, get some representation. but i would argue ^ that point all day :D

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Truck said:
Thats horseshit. He acknowledged neither of you sped or made signs that you were racing. So what happens at a stop light where 2 people leave at the same time? Fight it man. You were both riding or driving police magnets however, so thats not in your favor. Profiling at its best. That will kill your insurance rate if they land that bs on ya too.
LOL, he admitted he was racing........

street racing is high on the radar for traffic enforement right now. alot of states are cracking down , and upping the anty for that offense. i've heard of groups of bikes getting pulled over and bikes impounded and jail time and all.......

·
Registered
706 Posts
BlazenFire said:
"accelerations with 2 people beside each other is called racing"
That makes no sense at all. Any group of cars accelerate away from a light together. If there is no "squeeling of the tires", hard shifts, or maybe erratic driving, how can they determine it is racing, especially if no one sped.
Maybe "if" the officer admits the facts to the judge in court, the judge will see it for what it is, :bsflag ,but you really have to hope to get lucky, I think. An attorney is never a bad idea, just to try and keep the points off your record.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
RACER X said:
LOL, he admitted he was racing........

street racing is high on the radar for traffic enforement right now. alot of states are cracking down , and upping the anty for that offense. i've heard of groups of bikes getting pulled over and bikes impounded and jail time and all.......

and its all thanks to F&F and Biker BoyZ. lol. here there's not many rockets(yes i said "rockets") or ricers. but watching trucks hit 60mph in a 1/4 mile sure gets your blood pumping.......

·
The Premed
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thing is that there was no speed racing. Accelerating to the speed limits with the vette next to me, just seemed normal to me. heck im gonna fight this.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
you weren't over the speed, BUT you were racing..../shurg

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Are you appearing infront of a judge, or just going to appeal the ticket?

·
The Premed
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are three choices, and this one was marked
"Criminal Violation. Court Appearance required. As Indicated below."

Then the court information was given. I am not sure whether it is a plea or a trial. But I do remember the cop tell me that if I would plead not guilty the case would go on trial and then he would have to come to the trial.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Nevrsumr22 said:
That sucks so bad. That right there is why a lot of people don't like cops.
why cuz they catch people breaking the law........ :spank

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
MAN!!! This really pissis me off. Get a lawyer, get the charges dropped and sue the shit of the police department. For what? I don't know, but sue'em anyways! :twofinger

·
Registered
346 Posts
RACER X said:
why cuz they catch people breaking the law........ :spank
damn it, dad!! calm down. I'd fight this i was you. maybe you weren't completly in the right for what you were doin, but it doesnt warrent a ticket for racing. maybe unwarrented acceleration or exhibition of speed would be more appropriate, i dunno, something like that.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts