Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well before i start, please refrain from comments about me being irresponsible and stupid, i am already aware of the consequences of my actions and would rather not hear how poor of a decision i made, thanks for understanding............

well i was with a buddy last night speeding around town (i had a passenger on my bike) a state trooper pulled up behind us and attempted to pull us over -- he took off so naturally i took off as well..........well i was somewhat unfamiliar with my area (first mistake) and had a passenger who was terrified for her life, screaming and crying for me to let her off, which didnt allow me to concentrate on the road (the cop says he followed me becuz he knew i was at a disadvantage with her) at one point another officer almost turned in front of me (i believe if i didnt have a girl on board he would have tried to make me hit him -- they threw out spikestrips at my boys bike one night goin 140 and he didnt even have a helmet) well they followed me for a while and when i slowed down quite a bit to get on a sharp interstate ramp to cross the state line, he pulled up beside me and then got in front so i was forced to stop -- they booked me into jail on misdemeanor flight to avoid and misdemeanor willful reckless driving.............

now, im on basic probation cuz of an incident last year, and im hoping they dont revoke it so i hafta do the rest of my term (7 months in jail)......hopefully they can just bump me up to intensive supervised probation or something, but then again these are still TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS, not like i was doin drugs and failed a UA......and i know ya'll have some experiences with running and getting caught, what do you think will happen when i go to court (ill get a good lawyer) will i just get a hefty fine or will they take my license (for about the last 2 1/2 - 3 years my driving record is very clean) -- think ill be able to keep my license? what have you guys seen / heard about? thanks for any advice..........

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Keep your license? I hope not.

Get a good lawyer, and cross your fingers. My money is on your fucked.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why did they want to stop you in the first place? If they lit you up and then you took off I don't think the whole "I didn't see you back there" thing will work, especially if the cop was right behind you. I don't know what to tell you man, sorry I can't be of any help.

Did your buddy get caught?

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
you were recklessly evading I think your license may be theleast of your worries, isn't evading arrest a felony? (i dont know)
I would give you a good talking to but you already understand what you did.
best of luck to you and if thats what it took for you to learn the lesson than so be it hopefully others will read this as well.

I personnally always stop and I have yet to see a ticket from it (knock on wood) .

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Truck said:
Keep your license? I hope not.

Get a good lawyer, and cross your fingers. My money is on your fucked.

Sorry dude, gotta agree with the Truck on this one.....you're damn lucky you're not facing felony evading, felony reckless endangerment (your passenger) or even kidnapping to go with it. Get a good lawyer bro and you may save your reg cager license but pretty sure you are gonna kiss the M endorsement goodbye for a while. Not saying it isn't true about your friend getting spike strips thrown out to stop his bike.....but police are not permitted to use spikes against a motorcycle and the makers of the strips (more than likely Stinger) highly stresses the use of strips against bikes, buses with passengers and anything carrying haz mat. My dept. views the use of spikes as a form of lethal force and they had better be justified in their use or they could face attempted murder charges! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Amazing. I have nothing to say here that isn't (should be at least) common sense.

Oh yeah, one thing. When they take away your license, don't ride/drive until you get it back. You'll just be asking for even more problems.

·
20,852 Posts
Anytime bro.....guess I may have to put in for the "legal rep" job on the site.....LOL
Man this kid has no idea what he is in for......

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OFFICER737 said:
Man this kid has no idea what he is in for......

damn...........that dont make me feel good............

·
20,852 Posts
Bro they a lot of firepower to use against you. Though I am a cop and I do my job the best way I see fit I tell people that I have had to chase that if they would have just stopped in the first place I would only do what I HAD to do but when they run it forces us to go even further. Not trying to flame on ya man but you will probably not like the outcome of this deal. Go to court and be as courteous as possible and hope the judge is in a good mood and writes it off as a moment of young stupidity and goes leinient on you. But believe it or not, you got kinda lucky you aren't facing some felonies. Hope it is a learning lesson also and you might get lucky and the officer help you out in court also. We will do that sometimes.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't have any advice for ya, sorry... you pretty much broke all of the "rules".

1) Never run with a passenger
2) Never run in an area you don't know
3) Never run if the cop is already right behind you

Others here disagree about running, but unless the parameters are perfect and the escape easy, the odds aren't good enough to play the high risk high reward game.

Once your caught your pretty much screwed, get a lawyer and pray for mercy.

·
20,852 Posts
NASA said:
I don't have any advice for ya, sorry... you pretty much broke all of the "rules".

1) Never run with a passenger
2) Never run in an area you don't know
3) Never run if the cop is already right behind you

Others here disagree about running, but unless the parameters are perfect and the escape easy, the odds aren't good enough to play the high risk high reward game.

Once your caught your pretty much screwed, get a lawyer and pray for mercy.

+1

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
hoz is right, invest in a bus pass or mountainbike you will not want to get caught driving on suspended or revoked DL... you will go to jail. running from the cops...while on probation...WITH A PASSENGER was not a good play, but maybe you can get a great (not good, great) attorney to keep pushing your court dates back to buy you time.

make sure you maintain a good rapport with your passenger, she could really hurt you in court if she is holding a grudge against you...which honestly would be completely understandable in this case. I dont know what else to tell you but find the Lord and pray that you can come out of it without too much damage. I'm not particularly religious, but I think you could probably use some joel osteen motivational worship right now.

last word for future reference, dont follow your friends...learn to make your own decisions in life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's hard to generalize across different jurisdictions, but here's what would happen in my state:

Where I live, fleeing an officer is a third degree felony. I'm guessing that your misdemeanor charge is a class A? Many probation sentences specify that minor traffic violations do not constitute a probation violation. However, fleeing is not a minor traffic violation (minor = class c misdemeanors such as speeding or failure to signal, etc.). My guess is that your probation will be revoked and you could face your original sentence.

Judges in my state will often give defendants one false start on probation. Meaning, if you are honest and courteous with the judge / D.A. (this is the key), they will give you a week in jail to show you they are serious and then reinstate your probation with a stern warning.

I would be dissapointed if they did not suspend your license for fleeing with a passenger.

Good luck :)

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
If you think you can outrun Motorola, try it.

You might be able to tell your lawyer that your passenger obstructed your rearview and he/she can in turn use that to your advantage. I'm not a lawyer, but it might wiggle your way out of a charge.

Next time, don't run. Some officers give warnings and especially with a cutie on board, she could've helped in that department.

One last scorn. Never, ever, put a passengers life in danger like that! You should know better. You might want to apologize to her when you get the chance, if you haven't already. She might also be of importance in your hearing.

Anyways, it's going to be a hard lesson, but you'll get over it and life will go on. No big deal. Stay positive.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
get pissed at me if ya want, but IMHO you NEED to serve the 7 mos in jail (and then some most likely) that remains on your probation, you not only fled the attempted apprehnsion by a police officer but you but an innocent person in danger, now answer this question, was what you intitially did THAT bad that you didnt pull over and now are in a world of trouble????????????? sorry to be blunt but its individuals like you and "your boy" that give us law abiding bike riders a bad name :squid BTW my harsh words are do to the fact Im also a Police Officer and take your actions as a slap in the face, and blatant disrespect for law enforcement officers and disregard for the girl on the back.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
so sad:(

it went from a $300 ticket option to a life change. And jesus christ if I was that passenger I would have had a heart attack too.

I understand your situation. The adrenaline started flowing when your buddy took off before you did, and that really blurred your judgement giving you seconds to think about it all. Been there, and now you know... if you would have just stopped the chances of the officer going after your friend would have been much higher.

:( Now you will have plenty of time to think about how you could have done it differently

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hire a lawyer and enjoy your jail time and suspended drivers license. You've earned it (not flaming, just stating a fact) In CA you would have commited a couple felonies (passenger makes all of the difference) and you would have ended up in jail as soon as the cops caught you. Buying a bus pass for when you get out of jail is good advice. If you get nabbed driving on a suspended DL in CA, the car/bike goes in impound for 30 days mandatory minimum on top of it being yet another misdemeanor with which you violate your probation. Costs about $1000 in release, towing and storage fees when the time is up. It also doesn't matter if the car/bike is yours or not. It goes to car jail for the full 30 days unless the owner (not you) can cry enough to convince the Sgt. that they really, really, really need to car. Even then, if the Sgt. lets the car out of car jail the owner has to sign a document stating that they understand that if anyone else with a suspended DL is ever nabbed driving that car it becomes property of the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I won't lie, so I'm not going to wish you any luck nor tell you I hope everything is good...

Can we make a fund to keep morons like this out of the road???

Trying to run from the police, while being on probation, puting a girl's life in danger...

Surely, you deserve whatever you'll get, if not more.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Wait, what is a 19 y/o doing riding a busa? Fast? With a passenger? Away from the police?

Sorry, this whole situation sounds like a bad episode of cops.

I'm sorry dude, but you're a friggin idiot. You deserve whatever you get, and you'll probably get the maximum.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts