Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I finally got my first ticket for "lane splitting" over a double yellow line seperating the opposite side of traffic. It wasn't on a main road though, this was in a small promenade with 1 lane going each way, with cars backed up looking for parking.

Or if any of you know Huntington Beach's main shopping area that is next to the pier, I tried going around the cars there because it was packed and it didn't make sense to wait behind all the cars when I got a bike.

Well, I know it was a double yellow line, but I treated more like a dashed white line because cars are going so slow that going around them isn't that dangerous. But whatever cops wanna enforce everything and I was just an easy target. Especially being US Open of Surfing, cops are everywhere, I just thought they were after drunk people not motorcycles who wanna go around slow moving traffic.

They said I can take traffic school as long as has been 1.5 years since my last time. And from the way the cop was taking my ticket, he didn't make it sound like I was in huge trouble like if I was speeding 100 mph down PCH. Oh well, I just hope this ticket won't be super expensive and can be resolved with traffic school. I need to get all my dumb lane splitting answered by some cop because I feel there are a bunch of exceptions. But if I went to a cop for him to answer all my dumb questions so I know what the rules are, he'd be like "don't bother me", but if he writes me a ticket, he'll be happy to spend a ton of time doing a bunch of boring paperwork. If I were the cop, I just rather talk to some guy about the rules so I can say i'm doing my job rather than wait for a bunch of tickets to write up, but I'm sure cops get bonuses for writing up tickets so they rather do that and hope someone doesn't know the rules.

I mean, some of the stuff just seems to make sense, but cops hate it. It's nice we can lane split in CA, but I wish they could let us have more options to get around traffic and not only be limited to only lane splitting between cars of the same direction.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
:facepalm

you. . .you crossed a double solid. . .in traffic?
this should not need to be explained.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
:laugh

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm just grateful I never got a ticket in the M3 because that car was a death trap for getting tickets. Had a few close calls I thought I was for sure gonna get a ticket for speeding. So I barely drive it now because driving a sports car like a normal car makes no sense, and its inconvenient if you're not gonna do any performance driving.

At least I get to take traffic school. Felt I had the chance to just keep riding away because the cop was just standing on the street and just say I didn't see him, he was not in a car or motorcycle. But I dunno how good cops are at trying to find ppl who wanna pretend they didn't see a cop because all he did was the "come over here" finger gesture. Could have just said I didn't see him. I done it so many times in that area, but just because of it being a special event and the whole last year riots that happened in HB made the cops become super anal and out to ticket.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Imagine if you'd have a literbike, you'd be busted for speeding DURING lane splitting a double yellow!

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
well, i'm just grateful i never got a ticket in the m3 because that car was a death trap for getting tickets. Had a few close calls i thought i was for sure gonna get a ticket for speeding. So i barely drive it now because driving a sports car like a normal car makes no sense, and its inconvenient if you're not gonna do any performance driving.

At least i get to take traffic school. Felt i had the chance to just keep riding away because the cop was just standing on the street and just say i didn't see him, he was not in a car or motorcycle. But i dunno how good cops are at trying to find ppl who wanna pretend they didn't see a cop because all he did was the "come over here" finger gesture. Could have just said i didn't see him. I done it so many times in that area, but just because of it being a special event and the whole last year riots that happened in hb made the cops become super anal and out to ticket.
SELL ALL YOUR VEHICLES

STOP DRIVING

STOP EVERYTHING

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

(I know the answer to that. It's you're stupid.)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Your lucky you didn't get hurt, I definitely would not have been ready to lane split in general when I was just starting. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like the ticket taught you anything..

I +1 for the upgrade to a scooter

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
OP, before you continue to shame all of us Californians with a post about lane splitting, please take the time to look it up what lane sharing is, might also want to see what lane splitting actually is. Then come back and tell us how grateful you are that you only got a ticket for "lane splitting" and not reckless driving or multiply other infractions.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
^

How stupid can you be to think that crossing any kind of solid line to go around traffic is a good idea? Just because you're on a motorcycle doesn't make you special, haven't you fucking learned that yet? Especially in H. Beach. I swear that place has more cops per capita than any other city and they don't think highly of sport bike riders. Put the bike in the garage. Put the M3 right next to it. Get a bus pass. Stay off the roads. You don't have any common sense and at the rate you're going, you're going to lose your license from being an idiot or you're going to end up killing yourself. You need to grow up a little bit. Better yet, you don't want a bus pass? Get some gutless little late 90s 5 speed 4 banger. Learn how to drive, get away from mommy and daddy's money train, then try again in a few years.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well lane splitting on freeway is a little easier and usually straight forward, but surface streets is where I probably did make a bunch of mistakes I should have gotten a ticket for. So to lane split legally, I always have to be between 2 cars?

Can I lane split between a regular and right turn only lane for traffic lights? Especially ones that may have open space in between where I can wait at the traffic light. Seems legal since there are two cars between me, but then I dunno if some cop is gonna say that's not allowed.

Or how about in LA on surface streets, can I split lanes between parallel parked cars and moving traffic? Is that gonnna get me a ticket. It's not really endangering anybody and usually there is more space in that area.

It's not like I do this to break the law, but its just easier sometimes and makes more sense even if there some dumb law making things more technical.

Then what about parking, is the parking between two parallel parked cars legal for paid meters? I really hope the parking cop isn't going to make a big deal and realize me being a motorcycle is creating more parking spaces for those who decide to drive in cars. And ya I put my back tire against the curb, I heard that's the rule.

And how about crowded parking lots that don't really have a "lane" but may have a big open spot I could go around? I do this all the time at newport beach's parking lot, but I never seen a cop so maybe I wont split any yellow line, but what if it was a white solid or hashed line? I really hope cops don't expect me as a motorcyclist to wait in line with all the cars when there's ton of space next to all the other cars that I can go around safely.

But I know cops rather give out tickets than inform people of every detail of the law. If you request to be breathalyzed before you get in a car to drive home from the bar, they will refuse you so I don't understand why they don't want to help people figure out if they are okay to drive if they're trying to prevent drunk driving? But then will take all the time in the world to properly write you up if it means getting you in trouble. Just things like this I don't understand why police can't do if they're trying to prevent something.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
If you cross the center line (double solid or not), that's called "passing", not lane splitting. Sometimes it's legal, sometimes it's not, depending on the lines.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts