Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Saturday I took delivery on my Silver 2003 SV650s! I bought a Shoei RF1000 helmet, a Joe Rocket leather/mesh jacket, and some Icon gloves. Damn this shit is fun!

The bike is smooth and powerful and she handles great! I like the V-Twin a lot more than the inline-4, much more linear on the power delivery. I took her out on Saturday afternoon for just a quick ride and ended up staying out for 2 1/2 hours! Hell yeah!

Thanks to the guys who gave me advice, and I'm glad I went with the SV. Now that I have the bike, what other advice can you give me? I took the MSF back in April, and I will be practicing my low-speed skills in parking lots often. Any books I should read or techniques I should focus on learning? Thanks again, guys!

·
Registered
56 Posts
NICE~~~

glad you like the bike you purchased, its one thing buying a small bike to start out with but you should also love riding it.

Have fun with your SV,

ps. how much did you buy your RF1000 for ??

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!! Good choice. :lol

I would suggest doing all of the MSF drills on your bike to more quickly get used to it. Also practice panic stops in a nice, big, appropriate lot from whatever speed you think you will be riding.

Good books are Proficient Motorcycling and Twist of the Wrist 2 (Twist 1 is mainly for the track).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heyboy - I got the RF1000 for $260, jacket was $140, and gloves about $25.

RayOSV and nig - I will check out those books and yes, practice much!

I'll get some pictures up ASAP!

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
congrat's on the bike, have fun.

·
Registered
128 Posts
congrats to you on your new bike...since i sold my 01 f4i this sat...i'm in the market just looking for now...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Congrats on the bike. Where in Tempe are you at? I live in Scottsdale but am around Tempe a lot. Should meet up to ride some time, will bring some friends around too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is this your first bike? If so, how do you find it to be? I'm wanting to get one for my first as well but am a little wary that it'll be too much. Congrats by the way!!

Zack

PS: Where did you get the RF1000 for $260?

·
Registered
454 Posts
advice? just take it easy and perfect the basics before you start getting too much confidence. work a lot on making right turns from a stop and swerving to miss objects in the road. be VERY aware of traffic and your environment. and have fun! :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Zack - the SVS has been very good to me so far, great in traffic, much less shifting than a 600cc inline four (supersport bike), and handles predictably. I haven't scared the crap out of myself yet, and been having a blast! Plus she is DEAD SEXY on the road. :2eek

As far as the RF1000 - go to HelmetHarbor.com, its local for me though. You might have to pay more when you factor in shipping.

PICS COMING THIS WEEKEND!

·
Registered
5 Posts
nice man, congrats on the bike. i finished my msf class early september, and i also am planning on an sv650s. i hope i do as good as you. i cant wait!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts