Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a custom Power Commander map made today and as part of that I got the dyno run printout. The blue one is the before and the red one is the after. As you can see the dyno guy was able to smooth things out a bit but I was a little disappointed in only getting 89.1 rear wheel horsepower. Oh well, I guess that's what this bike will do and it is plenty fast enough for me.

The bike is still hunting at idle and I was told that synching the throttle bodies might improve that. Does anyway have any experience with doing it on this bike? The quick ride home suggests that it is a little smoother but I'll have to wait until next weekend for a thorough evaluation.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
89.1 with a PC seems a little outta place. Just out of curiosity, did you follow reccomended break-in? I just ask this in lieu of the ongoing debate. That map could use some more tweaking IMO.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ZeuSeason said:
89.1 with a PC seems a little outta place. Just out of curiosity, did you follow reccomended break-in? I just ask this in lieu of the ongoing debate. That map could use some more tweaking IMO.
The bike has 1400 miles on it and I did follow break-in procedures. 89.1 x 1.15 (drive train loss) = 102.5hp which is probably more than claimed. He probably could have spent more time and gotten a few tenths but he thought that was pretty good. They call this guy the "doctor" and word is around here that he is really good. There was a board in the shop for their HP Hall of Fame and the top R6 dyno'd was just over 113hp. Who knows what kind of work has been done on that motor.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If someone has exactly the same setup as me and wants to significantly help defray my cost ($250) I'd be willing to talk to them. However, since every bike is different, the chances of the map working as well in someone else's bike as well as it does in mine are not good.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
eprior said:
The bike has 1400 miles on it and I did follow break-in procedures. 89.1 x 1.15 (drive train loss) = 102.5hp which is probably more than claimed. He probably could have spent more time and gotten a few tenths but he thought that was pretty good. They call this guy the "doctor" and word is around here that he is really good. There was a board in the shop for their HP Hall of Fame and the top R6 dyno'd was just over 113hp. Who knows what kind of work has been done on that motor.
You did gain 4.4hp which is a nice bonus!

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
That's pretty much in line with what I have after my dyno tune. Not bad and probably not going to get any better. Changing your sprockets will yield the best gains in power "feel".

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FAZR6 said:
That's pretty much in line with what I have after my dyno tune. Not bad and probably not going to get any better. Changing your sprockets will yield the best gains in power "feel".
Exactly. I think the best mod I did that improved "driveability" was going to a 48 tooth rear sprocket when I did the 520 chain conversion. It seems to pull much better and longer and I find I need to shift less. I believe the 16/48 I have now is the stock R6 ratio.

·
Yeah it's fast...
913 Posts
That is making my hopes for 100RWHP look even more difficult. I had planned on a full system but I heard that the Stock design is good enough that manufacturers really cant improve on it. I hope that Arrow will step up and make a full system for it, a light weight design would be awesome.

But the important part isn't power, it is ridablity. I can't wait to get mine dyno tuned.

·
Registered
88 Posts
eprior said:
Had a custom Power Commander map made today and as part of that I got the dyno run printout. The blue one is the before and the red one is the after. As you can see the dyno guy was able to smooth things out a bit but I was a little disappointed in only getting 89.1 rear wheel horsepower. Oh well, I guess that's what this bike will do and it is plenty fast enough for me.
Mine put 94,2 HP on the rear wheel, so maybe those throttlebodies could use an adjustment ?
I know there can a difference between Dynofields, but still...

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Oh man, I just went back and pulled my charts. My bike was 89.34 rwhp before the tune and ended up at 92.44 after the tuning. Sorry for the wrong info that I posted before.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The throttle body sync on this bike is pretty easy. I've done mine a couple of times. The hardest part is borrowing/buying the gauges to use (I've got the Morgan Carbtune II). Once they're hooked up, it's just twiddling a few screws.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oelhunden said:
Mine put 94,2 HP on the rear wheel, so maybe those throttlebodies could use an adjustment ?
I know there can a difference between Dynofields, but still...
Since you are in Europe I would expect the difference to be down to different standards being employed to measure horsepower. Seeing FAZR6's post below has me wondering about that, though. I now wish I had a dyno run from the bike when it was completely stock to see what my mods have really done. I am not racing this bike so I'm not worried about peak hp but rather how smoothly the power is delivered.

I am going to sync the throttle bodies and see if some of the FI "touchiness" is reduced. This motor is great when you are really getting on it but sometimes its hard to be smooth at slower speeds and partial throttle openings. Does anyone have a good vendor to buy the tool from for syncing the throttle bodies?

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
eprior said:
Since you are in Europe I would expect the difference to be down to different standards being employed to measure horsepower. Seeing FAZR6's post below has me wondering about that, though. I now wish I had a dyno run from the bike when it was completely stock to see what my mods have really done. I am not racing this bike so I'm not worried about peak hp but rather how smoothly the power is delivered.

I am going to sync the throttle bodies and see if some of the FI "touchiness" is reduced. This motor is great when you are really getting on it but sometimes its hard to be smooth at slower speeds and partial throttle openings. Does anyone have a good vendor to buy the tool from for syncing the throttle bodies?
I've been told that my map is smooth as silk even on a bike with scorpions. Why not try it and compare it to yours. Wouldn't hurt. Just make sure you've saved your custom map before you over write it. Let me know.

Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FAZR6 said:
I've been told that my map is smooth as silk even on a bike with scorpions. Why not try it and compare it to yours. Wouldn't hurt. Just make sure you've saved your custom map before you over write it. Let me know.

Mike
Can you post a scan of your graph? I searched the archives and found the thread when you first had your bike done but the graph was never posted. Thanks.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
Heres some sites for gauges to sync the throttle bodies

http://www.carbtune.com/

http://www.calmoto.com/SHOP/tm.html

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
FAZR6 said:
Here is a comparson chart of before and after plotted against time and then the final run by itself.
I wonder how much of the difference can be put down to the fact that I have a California bike that is strangled by smog control. I have removed the Cat but all of the plumbing is still connected. Has anyone with a CA bike removed all that crap?

On my Triumph the dealer actually disconnected the smog control hoses when I had it in for service one time and said that it will run much better! I'm sure they would have gotten in lots of trouble if CARB knew about that. I later hooked things back up and didn't notice any difference.

I was just comparing our dyno graphs and the shape of the hp plots are almost identical - yours is just slightly higher all along the graph. The torque and A/F ratio plots are much flatter and smoother on yours though. This would probably make the "driveability" of your bike much better than mine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ejworthen said:
Heres some sites for gauges to sync the throttle bodies

http://www.carbtune.com/

http://www.calmoto.com/SHOP/tm.html
I was looking at that tool online last night. Cal Moto is a shop nearby (its where I bought my Triumph) and they also have the Twin Max which seems to be the same as the CarbTune but cheaper. Does anyone have experience using either of these tools?

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
eprior said:
I was looking at that tool online last night. Cal Moto is a shop nearby (its where I bought my Triumph) and they also have the Twin Max which seems to be the same as the CarbTune but cheaper. Does anyone have experience using either of these tools?
Most people I know just use a simple handmade manometer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts