Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know if anyone remembers, or cares for that matter, but...

i got my R6 back last Friday. it was starting to sputter, and would lose power on occasion. i think it finally got to where it was running on three cylinders most of the time during the last time i rode it.

when i called the dealer to see what they were doing after it had been there a few weeks, he told me they had ridden it and couldn't find anything wrong. i had originally told them i thought it might be the ignition coils, and there was a service bulletin about them, but he said he couldn't find such information. he talked me into changing the plugs, which cost me about $100.

it runs perfectly now. the mechanic said he didn't think the plugs where the problem. i saw them also, not really fouled, but definately a little dark.

i'm curious as to what was really wrong, and what they actually did to it for that matter. i wouldn't be surprised if they put new coils in it, but didn't want to get Yamaha involved and decided just to fix it and charge me for a spark plug change. i'm sure they did put new plugs in it because i was there when they were taking the old ones out.

·
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i know. he asked if i wanted to do it myself but the bike was already there and he originally told me about $60 or 70. he WAY underestimated the amount of labor. can you believe they've never changed plugs on a sportbike before? that's what they told me. i've never done it before either and have no idea how hard it is. definately, if i have similar trouble again, i'll try it myself.

i'm just glad everything runs OK again.

a failed plug--does that imply it wouldn't work at all? maybe a failing plug then?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can almost see $100...the job could take a good hour or so depending on how familiar the mechanic is with the process of lifting the tank, disconnecting the airbox and related claptrap, removing the heat shield (which if done right should involve removing the choke cable too so excessive force isn't required to remove/install the heat shield)...then finally pulling the spark plugs.

So figure $60 or so for labor, $25-$30 for the plugs, and tax. Definately an expensive job because of the labor...

A couple years ago I had the behavior you described but it ended up being one of my ignition coils...$50 a pop for those sombitches.

·
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ i dunno, i suppose i could, but i really don't want to go to all the trouble for $100, or just to satisfy my curiosity.

i just find it odd that he said that he couldn't find a service bulletin for the ignition coils (pretty sure there is one, but i haven't seen it myself), and the mechanic said that the plugs that were in it were probably not the root of the problem, but it runs fine now. makes me think they may have replaced the coils and the plugs and charged me for a plug change without getting yamaha involved at all. i did read on a forum somewhere that Yamaha was replacing coils regardless of Warrenty. i can see this dealership trying to avoid that situation.

sure it's a 'conspiracy theory', and it could just be PaRanOiA, but it sure is fishy.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
What sort of m/c dealer is this you bumped into if they have never changed plugs before in a Yamaha R6? Like any Yamaha dealer must have a trained m/c mechanic which means he would have gone through the Yamaha training school.

Still if it is a "down the road", "back yard mechanic" or someone that claims they can work on any bike & at lest cost sort of a mechanic.

Like how long has the R6 being out & I think it was in '99, in fact I KNOW this to be a fact so if a Yamaha shop has never changed plugs on an R6 then what in the heck have they been doing this past 5 yrs?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts