Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy pulls out in front of me, I t-bone him going about 10 mph. Snaps my front fairings, pops my tire etc. I don't have insurance, I wasn't speeding and where I live police rarely do accident reports where there isn't an injury to report. Now I'm reading up that it's likely I'll lose my license for up to 6 months? Possibly even jail time? I was pretty dazed after it happened, and maybe I wasn't thinking clearly enough to gather witnesses numbers and whatnot. I have his Name, license number, policy number (but i forgot his company ><). He's got my info, which excluded my insurance since I'm without.

Could used some seasoned advice, where do I go from here? Get insurance asap? Cut my losses on my bike and hope he doesn't file since he's at fault? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
No insurance is something you do when you buy a phone or a DVD player . You dont tick the no insurance box on a bike .. thats just bloody stupid . I know this cos I did it when I was 18 , they took my licence for 6 months and then left me carrying 12 points for 4 years . 4 years of living on the edge of an instaban for any minor infraction . That and my insurance then cost me 4 times the price of the bike I was riding ,cos insurance companys take a dim veiw of folks who have convictions for riding without insurance .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm, right. Was that your M1 or your Class C as well? You'd think the insurance companies would jump for joy that they converted a rebel, and the rebel chose their scam to dump money into. I suppose money isn't an issue w/ me at the moment, so should I just avoid the claim regardless of him being at fault? Or is avoiding it just going to dig me a hole w/ my state, I believe there is a 10 day grace period wherein you have to report an accident.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I'm just curious. Guy pulled out in front of you, you hit him, sounds like he's at fault regardless? So his insurance should be fixing things, and if the cops didn't show up, you didn't get a ticket for no insurance...

Who are you worried about finding out that you don't have insurance? It's stupid any way you slice it, but if anything I know in California most times it's a "fix it" ticket. You get insurance, show proof, and get the ticket dismissed. If there's no ticket, there's no reason you should be worried about it.

edit: Just read the last post. Claim that shit. His insurance isn't going to ask for your insurance, or if you have insurance, and if they do, it's none of their business. Unless you got a ticket for it, there's nothing to worry about, but go fucking get insurance.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The way they look at it here, if you're on public roads without coverage you deserve to be at fault for it. You shouldn't have been there in the first place. I think you're fucked man. Make better decisions in the future... Motorcycle insurance is cheap down there.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
how can you not have insurance? the medical coverage alone is worth having it.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
How can you even have the bike registered if it's not insured. CA now tracks that shit, and will suspend your registration if you cancel the insurance. I know this because they sent me nastygrams about a car I own with no insurance, because it also currently has no engine or wheels.

Bottom line, you fucked up. Deal with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure, recently got my M1 w/ the bike as well and they said if I didn't have insurance it would've popped up on their system when I said I don't have proof of on me in response to "just take your m1 now we have an opening"

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
If you hit him, it's more likely that you'll have to show that it wasn't your fault. It's not going to be automatically assumed that he was at fault.

Get some insurance next time. This isn't a video game.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
that's an interesting one. I want to hear about the outcome. I putting money on the other insurance co knows about a loophole that can get them out of paying you since you have none yourself. and since you guys didn't get an accident report you might of screwed yourself there too.
the have all day long to think about this kind of shit and ways to get out of paying. and I'm sure you're not the first person this has happened to.

talk about ways they try to get out of paying, my health insurance wanted my bike insurance info before they'd pay anything. they wanted my bike's insurance to pay anything first then they would cover the rest.
I'm telling ya, they're scam artist and they're good at it.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I am not a lawyer, not do I pretend to be on the internet... But if I were you, I wouldn't report the accident to the police. Is there actually a law in CA that says you have to report it if neither party feels the need to? I would, however, still call his insurance company and have him pay for the damages to your bike. Whether or not you had insurance on your bike doesn't change whose fault the accident was. If he was at fault, have his insurance pay.

This being said, get some fucking insurance. Not only is it stupid not to have insurance, it's selfish. If you're at the point in your life where you don't have insurance, you sure as hell don't have the money to pay for damages in an accident. This will fuck you and it will fuck the party that you hit if they don't have uninsured/comprehensive insurance. It's irresponsible and scummy to ride/drive without insurance. If you can't afford insurance, sell your bike, because you can't afford to ride.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was pretty dazed during the whole incident and failed to get his actual insurance company, got his policy #, name, license etc. but spaced on his insurance name! Have a friend who works for farmers, going to contact her tomorrow to see what's what.

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom and empathy.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I am not a lawyer, not do I pretend to be on the internet... But if I were you, I wouldn't report the accident to the police. Is there actually a law in CA that says you have to report it if neither party feels the need to? I would, however, still call his insurance company and have him pay for the damages to your bike. Whether or not you had insurance on your bike doesn't change whose fault the accident was. If he was at fault, have his insurance pay.
In CA you have to file a police report if there are injuries or over $x in damages (somewhere between $500-1500, don't recall).

KeS

·
Registered
495 Posts
I believe the best advice here is to engage an attorney. Immediately.

You will need the protection. Go without an attorney, and you may put yourself at serious financial risk.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Minimum liability is the only coverage required in CA for any vehicle to be registered. Get it ASAP so your bike can stay registered. Other party's insurance company will want to know your insurance company if other party files a claim with his insurance company. I don't think they will pull your license over this, but your M1 is an endorsement on your C license if you have both.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
You couldn't have had much damage at 10mph But YOUR "F" He will report it tohis insurance and his insurance Co will report it to DMV when they request your insurance info. I dropped my bike insurance because finances were very tight, bike in storage... I got a nasty letter from DMV even though my reg was still good for another 6 months had to give them another $14 for a non opp cert.
Medical insurance on a MC is a JOKE in Ca usually a 5K limit.
They won't put you in jail... They can make it very expensive...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts