Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was fit testing it in this picture. Had to send it back for alterations for a better fit.

Anyway, to anybody who has no idea... it's an Aerostich 1pc. Roadcrafter. So far it's probably the very best investment I've made in riding gear. This thing rocks.

www.aerostich.com

·
Registered
251 Posts
Been using mine for the last 60,000+ miles and one 40 MPH slide on rain soaked pavement. Works great, collects dirt like nothing I have ever seen though. Mine is utterly grungy. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, were I in need.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T-595 Greg said:
nice! looks like a pretty good fit. congrats
Fit is almost perfect... when sitting on the bike all the armor is right where it's supposed to be with enough room beneath the suit for my normal clothing. Only problem is that there's a bit of tugging across the front of my shoulders and at my back. So I have to send the suit back... they're making another one for me with an extra 2 inches at my lower back and with the sleeves rotated forward a bit more.

stoinkythepig said:
Been using mine for the last 60,000+ miles and one 40 MPH slide on rain soaked pavement. Works great, collects dirt like nothing I have ever seen though. Mine is utterly grungy. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, were I in need.
Nice... but from what I've been told that grungy thing is actually kind of a badge of honor among Aerostich owners. :D

I've heard nothing but great things about this suit, figured I'd skip over the cheap gear buying process and get the best I could to begin with.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mykl said:
I've heard nothing but great things about this suit, figured I'd skip over the cheap gear buying process and get the best I could to begin with.
I did the same. It's my first "real" piece of riding gear. for years prior to buying it, I used jeans, a bomber style jacket and rain gear when needed.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Very nice suit. Looks good with the blackbird too!

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
hmm....not to keen on the color, but as long as your cool w/ it. i want one as well........

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RACER X said:
hmm....not to keen on the color, but as long as your cool w/ it. i want one as well........
You can choose a different color combination.

I chose the high-viz yellow because I work on a military base. It fulfills my "contrasting color" requirement to ride on base. I was kinda worried at first, but when I got it I was actually impressed with it.

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
nice suite.. the color will help a lot to "be seen"

·
who......me????
293 Posts
any idea how the it would work for cold weather riding?? I often ride when it is in the 40's so i am looking for something warm..

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fred said:
nice suite.. the color will help a lot to "be seen"
Yeah, having been the victim of the "I didn't see you" excuse I think the bright ass yellow will definitely help on that front.

UP VFR said:
any idea how the it would work for cold weather riding?? I often ride when it is in the 40's so i am looking for something warm..
This suit is far better for cold weather riding than it is for hot weather. From talking to owners and to Aerostich it can be used for 90+ degrees, but you'll probably want a bag of ice in the net where the back vent opening is. Also, evaporative vests are supposed to help. Still, I imagine it's got better ventillation than a leather suit.

For cold weather this suit is supposed to be great. Supposedly it's very weather proof with all the vents closed and velcro fastened. Since it fits a little on the loose side when compared to race leather suits you can easily get some warm clothing on before you climb into it. Some folks say that with the help of heated gear they can ride in their 'Stiches down to below freezing.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I received the finished product today... it only took them a week and a half from the time that I called and ordered the alterations for them to build the suit and ship it to me, absolutely amazing service. I was expecting it to take at least another week and a half.

The suit fits 99% perfect now with the built in ellipse and the forward rotated sleeves. There's still a very minor amount of tugging at the front of my shoulders, but it's almost completely eliminated. But, the shoulder armor isn't digging into my shoulders like it was. There's no tugging at my back like there had been.

All in all I'd say that the service I received has been the best I have experienced from any business. Rivaled only by www.newenough.com

I took it for the first test ride right after I got it... I couldn't wait to try it out. :D It was just after 1700, still upper 80's if not low 90's.

Honestly, it wasn't too bad. I really expected it to be worse. Of course if you're at a stop light it roasts you, but even mesh gear will roast you at a stop light. One thing I noticed about this compared to the mesh stuff is what happens when you get moving again. With the mesh gear all of your sweat evaporates quickly, giving you a nice quick blast of *cool* and then back to hot again. With the vents open on the Roadcrafter and with my gloves tucked into the sleeves there's just enough airflow to keep you cool for longer. So instead of a quick "chill" effect, it's more like a nice cool breeze.

I was still sweaty and warm, but it was far from uncomfortable. Still a little too warm to wear my work suit beneath it during the Summer, but as soon as it cools off a bit it won't be a big deal at all.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
i want a STITCH!!! black w/ grey patches.......what did it cost you? if ya don't mind.

·
Banned
730 Posts
Very nice suit! I figured that's what you'd end up w/ after reading your posts on STN (I'm just a registered lurker over there). I think I'll end up w/ one eventually. Not ready quite yet.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RACER X said:
i want a STITCH!!! black w/ grey patches.......what did it cost you? if ya don't mind.
Not sure if you really want to know that, but... all said and done it cost me at around $1100 including the alterations, shipping, and the additional back and hip protectors.

vuu16v said:
Very nice suit! I figured that's what you'd end up w/ after reading your posts on STN (I'm just a registered lurker over there). I think I'll end up w/ one eventually. Not ready quite yet.
ha, yeah I spent a bit of time over there bugging people about the suit when I was trying to decide if it's what I wanted or not. The main appeal for me was the ease of which you can put it on and take it off. It's as easy to put on and take off as a jacket is... except it also provides leg protection.

·
Banned
730 Posts
Mykl said:
The main appeal for me was the ease of which you can put it on and take it off. It's as easy to put on and take off as a jacket is... except it also provides leg protection.
Exactly why I want one. Also, many groups let you wear them for track days. To me, that speaks volumes. I can't justify the price right now though since I live 1.5 miles from work and 4 days per week pick the kids up right after. Both of which make commuting silly or not possible.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Congratulations on the new 'stitch! I've had mine for about 2 years now. No regrets.

You're right about hot weather. It ventilates well enough to keep you cool while you're on the move, but you do roast at stoplights and around town. You get some odd looks from people - even other motorcyclists - when wearing the suit in hot weather. Best part is, once you get where you're going, you can take off the suit to hang out in short pants and a t-shirt. If you know you're in for a long hot day, try wetting your t-shirt before putting on the suit.

The Roadcrafter works pretty well in cold weather. I'd say it's good down to the 50's with a layer of fleece underneath. I about froze to death on a 2 hour ride in 40 degree weather at night with a polartec 200 top under my 'stitch. I just bought a Gerbing heated jacket liner a couple weeks ago, but seeing as how the temp hasn't fallen much below 70 I haven't had a chance to properly try it out. Fits nicely under the 'stitch. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice suit. Mine is a different color, but I like mine very much. Add an electric jacket liner and some heated grips and your good to 22degrees F. DAMHIK.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Mine is the EXACT same color. I was originally going to go with hi-viz with black patches but heard the hi-viz picks up dirt quickly. So, I got the black with hi-viz.

So far, I've ridden in 95 degree weather with no problems. Hot at lights, but I'm usually out in the country and carry water with me.

I also bought the hip and back pads. Does anyone know if the back pad counts as a back protector for track days?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts