Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just traded in the 250 on a 2013 GSXR 750 right out the crate. I have only put about 30 miles on it, but I am in love with this thing. However, I think I need to tighten up the tension on my clutch cable/lever adjustment though. The engagement zone is literally almost on top of the hand grip. I use 2 fingers for the clutch lever and when the lever is on my pinky and ring finger it will literally start engaging if I let the clutch out the distance of a piece of cardboard paper. Should adjusting the knob help this? Or is this just part of the break in process?

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Breaking it in will actually get a bit worse as the cables stretch a bit. There are adjustment knobs to fix it. There is a fine adjustment probably near the bars on the cable and a large adjustment down near the engine on most bikes.

Also, pics or it didn't happen.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
971 Posts
Grats on the bike and ditto to what arctic said.

Also, I'd encourage you to break the habit of using 2 fingers for the clutch. You should use all four to get the best control, and more importantly, to prevent losing your fingers in a low side.

You go down on the left side and that clutch lever is going to crush your little finger and maybe your ring finger. If you're not using the clutch, sure, there is a chance your whole hand will be caught under it. But if you are using the clutch with two fingers, you're almost certain to get trapped under it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the great advise guys, I will do that when I get off work for sure. Yea I started off using all 4 fingers but I just feel like I am smoother and in more in control with two. I just don't think I would ever have my fingers near the clutch lever during a corner, with the exception of slow turns from a stop when I am still riding riding the clutch. I still do use 4 for the brake lever though.

·
5,455 Posts

Also, I'd encourage you to break the habit of using 2 fingers for the clutch. You should use all four to get the best control, and more importantly, to prevent losing your fingers in a low side.

You go down on the left side and that clutch lever is going to crush your little finger and maybe your ring finger. If you're not using the clutch, sure, there is a chance your whole hand will be caught under it. But if you are using the clutch with two fingers, you're almost certain to get trapped under it.
that's the first time i've heard that. just about everyone i know that rides sportbikes only uses 2 fingers for braking.

i happen to use all 4 four the clutch, but i think it's just because i'm weak.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Congrats! Now where's the pics.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's the first time i've heard that. just about everyone i know that rides sportbikes only uses 2 fingers for braking.

i happen to use all 4 four the clutch, but i think it's just because i'm weak.
First I have heard of it as well. Most racers use two also. I guess it all depends on personal comfort though.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Also the first I've heard of this. I've always used 2 on the brakes and 4 on the clutch simply because its too stiff for me to use 2.

Anyways, nice choice, now let's see it!

·
Registered
848 Posts
if my index finger wasn't jacked up, i'd use 1 finger, but i have to use my FU finger as backup. plenty of braking for me. for the clutch, i still use all 4 since my fine motor skills are not great so i use all 4 to back each other up.

My clutch engagement is right out at the edge too which is irritating, but if i keep the bike, i'll be getting new levers. i just hope that one winter hits, my clutch is broken in better cause i hate the huge jerk the bike does when you let the clutch out at first start up. once the oil warms up, no probs. sometimes is jerks hard enough to stall the engine. grrrrr

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
So I just traded in the 250 on a 2013 GSXR 750 right out the crate. I have only put about 30 miles on it, but I am in love with this thing. However, I think I need to tighten up the tension on my clutch cable/lever adjustment though. The engagement zone is literally almost on top of the hand grip. I use 2 fingers for the clutch lever and when the lever is on my pinky and ring finger it will literally start engaging if I let the clutch out the distance of a piece of cardboard paper. Should adjusting the knob help this? Or is this just part of the break in process?
Grats, man.

:pic:needpics

(And I use 3 fingers, since we're all weighing in on that. Four feels 'off' and two doesn't feel like enough. :shrug)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Ask Fred about getting your small finger mashed under a clutch or brake lever in a crash and how good it feels.

Plus, you've got more leverage in your pinky at the end of the lever than in your index finger at the base. Not as much of an issue with sportbikes I suppose, given how responsive the brake and clutch tend to be.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ask Fred about getting your small finger mashed under a clutch or brake lever in a crash and how good it feels.

Plus, you've got more leverage in your pinky at the end of the lever than in your index finger at the base. Not as much of an issue with sportbikes I suppose, given how responsive the brake and clutch tend to be.
Oh I can only imagine how much that would hurt and suck. However, I still don't see a time where I would be covering the clutch while cornering as shifting in mid lean is rarely a good idea. My luck though, now that the topic has came up, I will break my damn pinky off.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts

The solution is shorty levers.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
4 fingers for the clutch , with the 8 pad brembos on the KTM one finger is plenty more than you would ever need on the brakes .But I only ever use the clutch when stopping or starting .. or now and then when I NEED to clutch up 2nd gear stinky cos I see a hot chick . And congrats on the bike, you have chosen the correct gixxer , so many get it wrong you got it very right . .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all, and yea I will get some shorty levers eventually. I fixed the issue though yesterday by simply adjusting the turning wheel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts