Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to know how much do you think it should cost for the first service on my 07 ninja 500? getting real close to the mileage and just wanted to know how much you think it should cost. and was wanting to know also what is good to wash your bike with and get the pips back looking like they are new

·
Assume the position
559 Posts
In the past, my first services were about $175 give or take,(definetly not a $19.99 oil change). As far as keeping the bike clean, warm water, a LITTLE soap and a lint free towel/shop rags. Do not use a towel or rag that has been washed as it will/can create small scratches on the body work. You can get em at Menards, hardware stores etc. I have not used anything other on my pipes as well. I usually wet the cloth and let it sit on the area I am going to clean, letting it soak a bit. :cheers

·
Registered
197 Posts
3 quarts of oil & filter = $25 for the kawachem
1 Chilton manual = $20 lifetime investment
1 hot coffee / cold beer $2

Doing it yourself, learning about your bike, knowing it's done correctly...priceless

For cleaning, there's a million products out there. If there's a motorcycle / boat on the front, expect to pay 2-3 times as much!!!

Enjoy your new ride
BF05

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so you guys think i should do it myself i change the oil and all that on my truck is it as easy as doing it on a truck? and that is all i would need to do is change the oil and filter nothing else?

·
Assume the position
559 Posts
They'll also chk the chain tension/l...other vital fluids, pretty basic stuff . It's the labor that costs not so much the materials. I guess the only reason I have the initial services performed at the dealer are for warranty reasons, and the warranties are only a year anyway.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
The first service is really the least worth paying to have done. Everything covered is an inspection with the possible exception of the chain, cables and oil.

If you have decent mechanical ability and have worked with aluminium-seated fasteners before, I doubt you could mess this up. Just keep a record of what you did.

·
Hard rockin' all the way!
523 Posts
Bandit08 said:
I and was wanting to know also what is good to wash your bike with and get the pips back looking like they are new

Would that be "pips" as in "Gladys Knight and the..." :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
rstephenson13 said:
qod! i have an extended warranty for my K6 600 for five years. if i do the tune myself will it void the warranty. probably right?
No. It's actually against the law for a manufacturer to deny a warranty soley on the basis of routine work being done by someone else. But that's why you keep a record.

In case you want to know more about the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act: http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/default.asp?id=8034

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
Where in SC are you?

·
Registered
178 Posts
The only difference between my sv650 and a car oil change is that the oil filter goes on the bike really tight. Something like 1 1/4 turns past the gasket contacting.

·
Your Huckleberry
134 Posts
Have an 07 Busa that is ready for its first service. Was gonna do it myself. Have always done my own maintenance and repairs if able. Called the shop that I bought it from, and they told me if I didn't have them to service it that it would void my warranty. It's not as expensive as some of you have quoted for mine though. Mine would be $80.00 + tax. Trying to weigh out my options. I only have a 12 month warranty also. Haven't seen to many issues with the busa's though. Any input?

·
Knuckle Dragger
187 Posts
Leeiswho2b said:
Have an 07 Busa that is ready for its first service. Was gonna do it myself. Have always done my own maintenance and repairs if able. Called the shop that I bought it from, and they told me if I didn't have them to service it that it would void my warranty. It's not as expensive as some of you have quoted for mine though. Mine would be $80.00 + tax. Trying to weigh out my options. I only have a 12 month warranty also. Haven't seen to many issues with the busa's though. Any input?
I wouldn't take my bike to them simply because they are lying to you.
Now, if instead of threatening to void your warranty (illegally), they should have explained to you the value of having a trained/experienced mechanic giving your bike a professional inspection to factory standards. But no. They chose to lie to you and threaten your factory warranty. Piss off!:bitchslap

Ahhhh....that was theraputic.

·
sikk cylinders
1,014 Posts
Leeiswho2b said:
Well, that's a lie! And don't bother asking my opinion of dealers!

Are you going to be doing your own repairs/maintenance in the future? Might as well start now. The Busa is easy to work on. Don't worry about the damn warranty, the Busa's are bulletproof, they never break!

BTW, Once I buy my bike and leave the dealership, they rarely see me again!

Dealerships:pisson

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
would you guys say it is a good idea to do this or should i take it to them for atleast the first time? really don't want to put out that kind of money if all they going to do is change the oil

·
sikk cylinders
1,014 Posts
Bandit08 said:
would you guys say it is a good idea to do this or should i take it to them for atleast the first time? really don't want to put out that kind of money if all they going to do is change the oil
If it makes you feel better, go down to the dealer and buy the oil and filter from them. That way, you've got a record of your purchase. Make your own little checklist too. Keep records. Simple.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts