• Not so good. Don't do it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have it, and is it any good?

Any and all opinions are appreciated. :)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Roku is actually pretty lame compared to some of the other boxes out there in the same price range.

I'm rocking a jailbroken Apple TV2 which I love because it gives you all the capabilities to watch pretty much anything you want. Problem is, you can't get the ATV2 cheaply anymore, and the ATV3 isn't jail breakable yet. That said, if you're looking for functionality and you have other Apple products, a non-jailbroken ATV is pretty awesome too. (Note: I am not an Apple fanboy, in fact I run everything PC/Android and this is the only Apple device I own)

I've read some good things about the Google thing and it all honesty, looks decent for the price.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Television is for scrubs.

Reactions: PCHbreeze

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Roku is actually pretty lame compared to some of the other boxes out there in the same price range.

I'm rocking a jailbroken Apple TV2 which I love because it gives you all the capabilities to watch pretty much anything you want. Problem is, you can't get the ATV2 cheaply anymore, and the ATV3 isn't jail breakable yet. That said, if you're looking for functionality and you have other Apple products, a non-jailbroken ATV is pretty awesome too. (Note: I am not an Apple fanboy, in fact I run everything PC/Android and this is the only Apple device I own)

I've read some good things about the Google thing and it all honesty, looks decent for the price.
Please explain how Roku is lame?

You plug it in, I can watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and more importantly it has HBO Go. The picture is in as HD as you will get streaming over the internet.

The problem with Apple, obviously, is that they aren't worth a damn unless you release the corporate chains.

When I first looked at streaming all my TV, I looked at the apple TV. Apple making you use iTunes is a fucking joke, and the same reason I don't have an iPod anymore.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
All of them suffer from the same thing: the Balkanism of the content providers. None have the full range of programming you'd like to see, and if they did, they'd all be equivalent except that Apple would have a better interface at a higher price.

Chromecast has one appealing feature, though I don't know how well it works: the ability to do screen replication from a computer using a Chrome browser and plugin. That is more accessible that the Apple TV AirPlay if you are a PC user.

At this point, though, I would wait until next week when Apple is expected to release a new Apple TV. No reason not to, and they may have something you find compelling. May as well see what's out there.

KeS

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Here none of the streaming services work, and considering I'm on 6mbit DSL it's not like if I could use them either.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Never heard of it. What kind of TV shows and other capabilities does it have?

Yes, I know I can google it, but I trust SBN members opinions much more.
Just remember you get what you pay for...:hide

I use hulu, netflix, amazon, and hbogo for 99% of my programming. It supports all of those, and it does it well. The interface is smooth, fast, and rarely crashes (Roku has improved a lot with the most recent software release). There are tons of other "channels" Roku Channel List

My daughter watches PBS kids and netflix, which has all of the kids shows that come on PBS (makes sense right).

I use hulu for broadcast networks (NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS) and primetime programming. Hulu is usually only delayed about a day or so for most networks.

I use Netflix for kids shows and series that don't come on hulu like Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, etc.

I Amazon for Prime series not on Netflix, or if I want to pay per episode for things that netflix does not have, or does not have yet. I also rent movies from Amazon.

Then I use HBOGO for HBO content. You have to subscribe to HBO to use it on the Roku and you can only subscribe to HBO if you have cable, so I use my parents subscription. I'm a criminal, I know.

I really wish that the premium channels would get with the program and offer their programming a la carte, but they don't yet. I would gladly pay for HBO and Showtime, but I don't have that choice right now.

All in all, I pay 7.99 for hulu, 7.99 for netflix, and then I already have amazon prime because I buy a metric ton of shit from Amazon already. I buy probably $10 per month of episodes from Amazon. So on average I spend around $26 per month for TV, versus $100+ from the cable company. I get to buy what I want, and don't get a bunch of shit I don't. It is the future of TV, and the selection has only gotten better since I first started streaming TV 4 years ago.

My only complaint is that Netflix on the Roku does not support the Profile function that they have on the website. I would really appreciate my history and recommendations not being available to my 6yo, as I have been known to watch some sketchy shit.

YMMV

:catcorn

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I have a Western Digital live media player and I do not recommend it. Untitled Page the best part is the phone remote control. which happens to work better than the actual remote.

it's slow, freezes up and has probably the least amount of programming available.

but, you can access your computer via wifi or hook up a keyboard, thumb drive or hard drive via the 2 usb ports. it also has a output for older tvs via rca. of course HDMI also.

so it's probably one of the most versatile media players out for the price $100. but like i said, it's very buggy and slow sometimes. I often find myself wanting to throw it out and go buy something else.

I usually only watch hulu +, netflix and youtube. also keep in mind you have to pay for most of the services these devices offer. hulu plus and netflix are each $8 a month. but now you can watch them both on your phone no extra charge. most of the other stuff these players play is either pay or just clips of random things from the internet etc. it's not real tv at all. just be aware of that.
and the stuff like vudu HD or Cinema now (movie rentals) are like $7 for a movie. total ripoff. you can actually buy the movie but again some of them are like $40 for the download.

oh and unlike ROKU WD does not make you enter in your CREDIT CARD INFO to make it work. I instantly took the roku player back for that reason.

·
B O R I C U A
1,216 Posts
Just remember you get what you pay for...:hide

I use hulu, netflix, amazon, and hbogo for 99% of my programming. It supports all of those, and it does it well. The interface is smooth, fast, and rarely crashes (Roku has improved a lot with the most recent software release). There are tons of other "channels" Roku Channel List

My daughter watches PBS kids and netflix, which has all of the kids shows that come on PBS (makes sense right).

I use hulu for broadcast networks (NBC, ABC, Fox, CBS) and primetime programming. Hulu is usually only delayed about a day or so for most networks.

I use Netflix for kids shows and series that don't come on hulu like Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, etc.

I Amazon for Prime series not on Netflix, or if I want to pay per episode for things that netflix does not have, or does not have yet. I also rent movies from Amazon.

Then I use HBOGO for HBO content. You have to subscribe to HBO to use it on the Roku and you can only subscribe to HBO if you have cable, so I use my parents subscription. I'm a criminal, I know.

I really wish that the premium channels would get with the program and offer their programming a la carte, but they don't yet. I would gladly pay for HBO and Showtime, but I don't have that choice right now.

All in all, I pay 7.99 for hulu, 7.99 for netflix, and then I already have amazon prime because I buy a metric ton of shit from Amazon already. I buy probably $10 per month of episodes from Amazon. So on average I spend around $26 per month for TV, versus $100+ from the cable company. I get to buy what I want, and don't get a bunch of shit I don't. It is the future of TV, and the selection has only gotten better since I first started streaming TV 4 years ago.

My only complaint is that Netflix on the Roku does not support the Profile function that they have on the website. I would really appreciate my history and recommendations not being available to my 6yo, as I have been known to watch some sketchy shit.

YMMV

:catcorn
I was browsing the ruckus site after reading your post, and I wasnt aware that they have so many channnels (for this type of service). What are the prices per channel?

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I was browsing the ruckus site after reading your post, and I wasnt aware that they have so many channnels (for this type of service). What are the prices per channel?
Channels are free to download as far as I know. You might have to pay for the content, but a lot of it is free. Then again, a lot of it is free because it is garbage, or only clips, etc.

Usually each channel requires you to register with the content provider.

If you like old movies and shows then most of that is free.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Please explain how Roku is lame?
think you hit on most of it in your own posts. You have to pay to make it work. With the AppleTV, you only pay for what you want (netflix, hulu plus, etc) It still crashes regularly. They aren't exactly compatible with all TVs, although you won't see too many complaints about it. My mom's TV, which is one of those smart tvs with all the apps and wifi and junk (don't ask me, she got it on sale) was crashing 10-15 minutes into anything when using the roku to stream. Once I disconnected it and figure out how to get the netflix app on the TV working, she hasn't had a single issue.

You don't have to use itunes to stream. It has netflix, hulu plus, youtube, streaming radio, pod casts, etc. The only reason you'd need to use itunes is if you want to view your own content such as tv shows, movies, music. Apple's biggest limitation is that you can only watch downloaded mp4 unless you jailbreak it and install xbmc although I guess there are ways to use plex with a mac and you can do it without jailbreaking. Honestly, even if you hate Apple, which I do, this is still an awesome little box because it actually doesn't revolve around itunes like the ipods, ipads, iphones, etc.

And, if you don't feel like going to the redbox, you have the option to rent movies/tv albeit they are a bit more expensive and only good for 24 hours from the time you start to play it.

Overall, since it's the same price as a roku, I'd take the ATV any day of the week. It gets regular software updates, runs pretty goddamned smoothly, and gets the job done better.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
You don't have to pay to make a Roku work. That's just incorrect. It works exactly as does an ATV or a ChromeCast; a lot of crappy media streams are free, and the premium ones you pay for. I pay for Netflix, I can get it on my Roku, my ATV, my tablet, my computer.

I prefer ATV, but it's not for the reasons you state - mainly because they are wrong.

KeS

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Yeah they don't charge u to use the roku but they feel they have the right to store your credit card info and u have no say in the matter. Or you can just return the pos

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
You don't have to pay to make a Roku work. That's just incorrect. It works exactly as does an ATV or a ChromeCast; a lot of crappy media streams are free, and the premium ones you pay for. I pay for Netflix, I can get it on my Roku, my ATV, my tablet, my computer.

I prefer ATV, but it's not for the reasons you state - mainly because they are wrong.

KeS
I'm pretty sure I'm right about most of it, but since you didn't elaborate what I'm wrong on, I can't argue any of it. I honestly don't use any of it except for netflix and the streaming radio or home sharing for my music collection. Both of mine are cracked and I use XBMC to watch movies and TV. Even the netflix is only used for my son to watch cartoons. Think I've had them for 5 years now, it's been awhile for sure.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts