Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else stumble across this relatively new feature courtesey of Google? Linkie. The image quality is so good that I can see one of my cars parked in my driveway.

Unlike other websites that provide satellite pics, like the USGS, Google Earth has 3D terrain mapping that simulates elevation. Try zooming in on the Grand Canyon for a very dramatic demonstration.

In addition to being able to zoom in and out, you can also adjust the viewing angle so that you get a panoramic bird's eye view of the terrain. In effect, it lets you "fly" over its imagery.

I was up to 2 am last night playing with it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think its kind of creepy. Just think of who else can see what you're doing in your own yard, besides the neighbors I mean. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would love to have a yard that I could do that in. Yeah, that would be very nice, indeed. :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
It's a neat program but the data is a little old.. I had a house built last June but it doens't show up on the map..

It does zoom in really well though.. but looks like the quailty isn't as good when looking up very small towns..

Still, I had a lot of fun with this! thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oh yeah, it was a little off. Showed my house as actually my neighbor's house. Close enough, I guess.

Just seemed a little too Enemy of the State - ish to me.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Haha it doesn't zoom in THAT far guys! But yeah it is an awesome tool. Now the question is, when will they come out with up to date streaming video from the satellite!?

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Spike said:
Haha it doesn't zoom in THAT far guys! But yeah it is an awesome tool. Now the question is, when will they come out with up to date streaming video from the satellite!?
Hopefully never!

·
Registered
376 Posts
gixernut said:
I think its kind of creepy. Just think of who else can see what you're doing in your own yard, besides the neighbors I mean. :)
It's not updated daily or anything, all the images are old.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I like most about it is the fact that my WHOLE state of New Jersey is displayed in high resolution. There must be a whole lot of google users in NJ I guess.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, I just found a new feature. Click on Manhattan Island in the places menu. Google represents all of the skyscrapers south of Central Park in 3D.

·
Registered
210 Posts
pwang said:
What I like most about it is the fact that my WHOLE state of New Jersey is displayed in high resolution. There must be a whole lot of google users in NJ I guess.
Where in Central NJ are you, pwang?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Cool. Just curious. I have lived all over south central to central north NJ. Lived in S. Plainfield and Union for a short time .

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Stephen072774 said:
Do a search for "candle ave hamilton, AL" and look north... I found an airplane in mid-flight. makes a weird shadow... pretty cool.

Thats cool but wont be there long :) Thing to keep in mind it isnt all "real time" most is archyived "images" run by a slick proggy.... :(

Theres or was a site where you could actually get sat images in almost real time but it was a .mil site not a good place to play :eek:

·
Owned by marriage
1,190 Posts
woot!! I got it about a month ago. I have used it to look up all kinds of stuff. I would like to see some of the maps updated tho.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts