Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Yep, I got a 2006 Sprint ST and traded the 05 FZ6 last week. I have never been happier with a bike. Handles great, great power, looks, everything.

Attachments

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Nice bike :dblthumb

·
Registered
732 Posts
Congratulations. How about a write-up comparing the Sprint with the FZ6? I've been scoping out the Sprint lately as a possible second bike.

My gf doesn't like the pillion position on the FZ6, which bums me out, so I've been thinking about picking up a more touring-oriented bike. How do the pillion accommodations compare?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tilejerky said:
Congratulations. How about a write-up comparing the Sprint with the FZ6? I've been scoping out the Sprint lately as a possible second bike.

My gf doesn't like the pillion position on the FZ6, which bums me out, so I've been thinking about picking up a more touring-oriented bike. How do the pillion accommodations compare?
Well, I'm not real wordy but I'll give it a shot.
I liked the FZ6 for the most part, here are some things that I like better (or not) about the Sprint ST:
- more comfortable seat-
- power below 8,000 rpms (and lots of it)
-just a bit sportier position but not real extreme (I test rode a 675 and felt like I was doing a hand stand)
- I was worried about handling on the heavier bike but have not had any trouble. Actually I feel even more confident on it through technical stuff (I think much of this is due to the smooth feeling of the engine through every turn and not winding it out as much)
- There is more engine heat on the right side with the Sprint so if you ever wear casual slacks to commute you might feel it. This has been the only negative thing I found but I'm sure I should be wearing something safer than khakis!
- I like the extra gauges for mpg, miles to fill up.

For passengers:
- my wife says it's more comfortable for her and a softer seat, with the exception of sliding forward more because of the position, it's pretty minimal though.
- she said that there was not near as much vibration as the FZ6
- also said she misses the tie down bars (whatever they're called) that run alone the FZ6 pillion, so she could hold on to those at times.

I would have to say I moved to a nice bike and that I am much happier. I liked my FZ6 very much. I like this bike more and think it is suited toward me and my style more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice write-up. I also have a FZ6 and my wife does not like the rear footpeg position (too high and uncomfortable on her hips. I measured the distance from passenger seat to rear footpegs and the FZ6 was ~15" and the Sprint ST was ~20". The Sprint ST rides well, comes with bags for commuting and is reported to be very reliable. I do not like the speedo - harder to read than the FZ's digital. I am still deciding if trading up to the Sprint ST is worth the $$. Keep us posted on how you like it.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
rpacker and otter1, any long term reports on the Sprint ST compared to the FZ6?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I too have a 2006 Sprint Sunset Red ST. I left my 06 SV1000s for her.

It's not the comparison you were looking for (FZ1 vs Sprint) but here is my comparison between it and the SV:

2006 Gray 996cc to 2006 Sunset Red 1050cc

I recently sold my SV and purchased my new (to me) 2006 Sprint. I haven't logged a whole bunch of miles yet but here is my comparison for those interested.

SV seemed to have more pure raw "umph" down low but the Sprint seems to have more umph at mid-range and higher speeds.

SV has massive engine breaking, the Sprint has a good amount but not as much as the SV

The SV provided me better wind protection (because I put on a extended windshield) than my Sprint (currently rectifying this) which suprised me seeing how the Sprint is a "sport tourer". I catch a lot of wind in the upper chest level at speeds.

The saddle on the SV and the Sprint is basically the same in terms of material used and softness BUT the Sprint kinda "cups" your arse and provides a bit of support higher up your butt so when you punch it you don't slide you just fit.

I've ridden two up with my wife on both bikes - of course there is no comparison here. She definately prefers the Sprint to the SV - but that was what the Sprint was partially designed for so that is no big suprise. The passenger also seems to sit higher on the sprint so it's easier for them to look over your shoulder and see the sights as opposed to seeing the back of the rider's helmet.

GAS! My SV would give me about 120 miles before the fuel light would come on. I usually would ride another 20 miles after that point before I fueled up. (I used one of my trip meters as my psuedo gas-indicator). When I rode to work (45miles one way) I knew that I would have to fill up again soon after a round trip to and from.... The Sprint? Well I can make the round trip twice before needing to fill up. With the SV I think I averaged somewhere around 35mpg, and on the Sprint I am getting 45mpg (basically 200 miles to a tank).

Exhaust note. Well I still had stock pipes on my SV. I have aftermarket pipes on the Sprint. The Sprint definately sounds better, as it should. It's a cross between the twin-sound and the I4 sound.

Overall impression. The SV is raw power. The Sprint is refined performance. Though it may be "heavier" than the SV the Sprint is not lack-luster in the performance category, by no-means! The Sprint suprisingly carries it's extra weight very well. So much so that it feels lighter to me performance wise when I am "getting it in". You can tell that Suzuki cut corners in the parts they used to make the SV (which I just don't understand why they did that) because the overall ride, handling, performance, function and styling of the Sprint is really just on a higher level than that of the SV. IMHO!

But I will always have a special place in my heart for Sally (my SV). For what she cost me she definately proved her worth. She and I both suprised a lot of other riders and their stable-mates when we popped up on the scene. They didn't know who or what we were but when we were done with them...

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Thanks for the great impression! What is the price ballpark for different years used STs?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Thanks for the great impression! What is the price ballpark for different years used STs?
Dude there are soooo many respectable deals on STs on e-bay.

In the Northeast (Marland) expect 06's to go for about $7800 (abs $8400), and then just add a grand from there for 07s and another for 08s. Retail is 11k+ for the new year models. Don't go by kelley blue book so much because KBB really doesn't value them much and you are not going to get their private re-sale prices they list.

I got my 06 from a private seller for $7300 and that is a great deal from the forums that I have discusssed prices with (www.triumphrat.net).

Just note that there are two different models (by years) - the 2002 - 2004 955i models and the 2005+ 1050 models. Performance is pretty similar but the body styles are totally different.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Yeah, I am looking for later style and my budget is max $6500. I saw a 05 with 650 miles sell for $5200 on ebay. I won't mind a tricked out (all common flaws addressed) 05-06 for $6500.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yeah, I am looking for later style and my budget is max $6500. I saw a 05 with 650 miles sell for $5200 on ebay. I won't mind a tricked out (all common flaws addressed) 05-06 for $6500.
I say go for it. Are you gonna have it shipped or are you going pick it up yourself? You can run the VIN number through on Triumph's website and see if there are any recall issues left to fix on it and I strongly recommend you talk with the fellas at triumphrat.net (on that board I am dmac).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Coming from a FZ6 Fazer too, I have to say that the next development step is the Sprint.

The FZ6 was my favourite for about 5 years and I enjoyed it.

Coming to the Sprint driving is very relaxed due to the fact that you have power in all rpms.
The touring on the motorway is similar but you do 140lm/h with 4.500 rpms and not with 7.500 rpms.
On the smaller countryroads you can use one gear and have enough power for all situations.

To my understanding the move from the FZ6 to the Sprint is a logical step.

Try it and enjoy it.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Couldn't justify the overpriced Sprints so had to get my 1st dream bike - a black FZ1

·
Registered
839 Posts
Couldn't justify the overpriced Sprints so had to get my 1st dream bike - a black FZ1
That's too bad but you still got what you wanted and that's what most important. Enjoy the ride and be safe. Plus the FZ1 may be your 1st bike but it doesn't have to be your last, right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts