Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as proper technique? It seems like riders have many different ways of doing things on the bike. Is there such a thing as good technique? What makes something a good technique? Some riders seem to be able to go pretty darn fast using what might be called bad technique so is it really bad?

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you are not fighting the bike, making fast transitions of body weight without weighting the bars or pegs negatively... that I would call proper technique. Anything that fights against proper positioning reduces contact patch, and effects handling. The riders who still ride pretty good with improper technique would, in my opinion, be much faster if they lost these bad habits. :)

Kinda obvious though. :cheers

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I think you know the answer. :)

Good technique will, among other things, provide more margin for error. While it's possible to go fast using "bad" technique, good technique will improve the odds a lot.

·
Banned
46 Posts
any given sunday

..iam sure we've all seen tha movie ... good tecnique's are adapted over time , but could be tha strangest things ...

in tha movie one rider talks about how (dirt track racing) he would put he's head upside down under his left arm to look back..... tha next day all tha riders were doin tha same thing...(thinking that they where reducing drag) ... what they didnt know was.. tha first guy who started it only had 1 eye .. so that was tha only way he could look behind him goin in a left circle..........

·
Registered
200 Posts
lightrum151 said:
..iam sure we've all seen tha movie ... good tecnique's are adapted over time , but could be tha strangest things ...

in tha movie one rider talks about how (dirt track racing) he would put he's head upside down under his left arm to look back..... tha next day all tha riders were doin tha same thing...(thinking that they where reducing drag) ... what they didnt know was.. tha first guy who started it only had 1 eye .. so that was tha only way he could look behind him goin in a left circle..........

ARE YOU MENTALLY HANDICAPPED? YOU SPELL THE WITH AN E, YOU DONT KNOW HOW MUCH I'D LIKE TO STAB YOU IN YOUR EYE RIGHT NOW... FUCKER

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
:lol what about gary mccoy? he is one crazy rider.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Meh2u said:
ARE YOU MENTALLY HANDICAPPED? YOU SPELL THE WITH AN E, YOU DONT KNOW HOW MUCH I'D LIKE TO STAB YOU IN YOUR EYE RIGHT NOW... FUCKER
:popcorn

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Meh2u...do not flame a fellow SBN Member

·
Registered
346 Posts
Meh2u said:
Are you to dumb to know how to use the 'CapsLock' key?

:popcorn

:lao

:eek:nfloor

Kids these days. :neener

(aside: I think I need more smilies in my posts :pisson )

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
As far as technique goes - There are some things that have more than one way to pruduce the desired result and seem different.
Matt gave a pretty good answer, and sometimes what you percieve as a "bad" technique is because it's described wrong.

The key is to understand the physics of the bike and the ride, and work within that if you're talking about physical technique.
As far as the technique as it applies to survival type issues, that can vary greatly with the type of ride, conditions, track or street, etc. Some peoples style takes advantages of different lines than other peoples' for example..

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Ooops, I forgot to chime in on the actual topic. Too busy flaming...

I guess "good" and "proper" can be used interchangabily. Anyway, my definition would be something to the effect that recognizes correct input into the machine that makes the desired result happen, e.g. pressing on the bars, rolling on the throttle, etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess what I'm getting at is the difference between Style and Technique. I mean for something to be a technique I think everyone would have to do it pretty much the same right? It would have to "work" for everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts