Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a good cost effective, reputible 3/4 vented sport jacket? I've been looking at several sport jackets, but they just are not long enough. I need something that is long enough to cover up my concealed carry firearm that I carry in a Small of the back holster.

I've been looking at the JR Ballistic 4.0...anybody have one? Or something similar?

Thanks

Kev

·
Registered
56 Posts
No offense, but why bother with a motorcycle specific jacket while carrying a firearm on the small of your back? I would think that landing/sliding on your back with a pistol there would do some pretty serious damage. Don't get me wrong....I have nothing against carrying a firearm, but I think you may do better to try an ankle holster :ar

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Casper...I understand what you saying, but unfortunately I have a really skinny posture, so it is difficult for me to use an ankle holster...i've tried but my g26 (one of the smallest firearms that I could find) is just a little to big to fit under my pants. So that leaves me with a shoulder holster, small of the back,or hip..so I figured that small of the back would offer me a little bit more protection. Make sense?

Kev

·
Registered
691 Posts
str86diesel said:
Casper...I understand what you saying, but unfortunately I have a really skinny posture, so it is difficult for me to use an ankle holster...i've tried but my g26 (one of the smallest firearms that I could find) is just a little to big to fit under my pants. So that leaves me with a shoulder holster, small of the back,or hip..so I figured that small of the back would offer me a little bit more protection. Make sense?

Kev
You should never carry small of back if there is any chance of you landing on it. You are falling with something hard between the ground and your spine. Bad Idea. I carry most of the time and I use an IWB holster at around 3:30-4:00. I use a teknic perforated leather jacket and it covers my weapon nicely. I don't like shoulder holsters because they don't feel comfortable while I am riding and how fast can you draw from a shoulder holster with a zipped up jacket? Probably not fast enough. Good Luck.
edit- I see you carry a g26. I carry my 23 daily in the way I described.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Big15 said:
I don't like shoulder holsters because they don't feel comfortable while I am riding and how fast can you draw from a shoulder holster with a zipped up jacket? Probably not fast enough.
Where are you riding where you need to do a "quick draw" while on your bike?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's not a matter of having to quick draw, it is just that the way that I am built (skinny as heck), the only ways that I can really carry comfortably is either small of the back or hip holster. I too feel that shoulder holsters are uncomfortable and due to how boney my waist is...I am not comfortable carrying IWB. So again, that leaves me with either small of the back or hip. Personally.

Sooo ahh back to the jackets...any other ideas on longer ones?

·
Registered
691 Posts
sjlee said:
Where are you riding where you need to do a "quick draw" while on your bike?
Hopefully I am never in that position but what if you are at a stoplight and someone comes up to you while you can't make an escape. I can have my gun out in one second from my IWB. Shoulder Holster would have me saying "excuse me bad guy, could you give me some time to pull out my gun."

If you can tell me when and where I will need my gun I will be sure to avoid that place.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Big15 said:
Hopefully I am never in that position but what if you are at a stoplight and someone comes up to you while you can't make an escape. I can have my gun out in one second from my IWB. Shoulder Holster would have me saying "excuse me bad guy, could you give me some time to pull out my gun."

If you can tell me when and where I will need my gun I will be sure to avoid that place.
I know this is gonna sound like I'm busting your balls, cuz I am...
First, you talking about a "bike jacking?" You'd never see them coming. It's not like sticking a gun up to a window, one of em is gonna rip your ass off the bike from behind, while the other rides away... that's if there is only two. Plus, their guns will already be drawn.
You may be a fast draw, but are you gonna draw while looking down the barrel(s) of another gun?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Fire&Thunder said:
I know this is gonna sound like I'm busting your balls, cuz I am...
First, you talking about a "bike jacking?" You'd never see them coming. It's not like sticking a gun up to a window, one of em is gonna rip your ass off the bike from behind, while the other rides away... that's if there is only two. Plus, their guns will already be drawn.
You may be a fast draw, but are you gonna draw while looking down the barrel(s) of another gun?
One more scenario where you might have to draw quickly and actually "see" it coming. You somehow piss off the guy in front of you and at a stoplight he gets out with a tire iron. I could have my gun out before I even would have gotten my jacket unzipped to get to the shoulder holster.

I just give myself every advantage I can have and those few seconds I would save from drawing from an IWB instead of a shoulder holster could make all the difference.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Big15 said:
One more scenario where you might have to draw quickly and actually "see" it coming. You somehow piss off the guy in front of you and at a stoplight he gets out with a tire iron. I could have my gun out before I even would have gotten my jacket unzipped to get to the shoulder holster.

I just give myself every advantage I can have and those few seconds I would save from drawing from an IWB instead of a shoulder holster could make all the difference.
That's probably the most unsafe place to carry a handgun (in the waist-band). Not only can the gun fall out while you're riding, but while you're fumbling to pull it out when Mr. Tire Iron comes after you, you could accidentally fire it before you get it out.

·
Registered
691 Posts
sjlee said:
That's probably the most unsafe place to carry a handgun (in the waist-band). Not only can the gun fall out while you're riding, but while you're fumbling to pull it out when Mr. Tire Iron comes after you, you could accidentally fire it before you get it out.
I am sorry but that is one of the most assinine things I have ever read. An IWB is not unsafe at all. I have an IWB that I carry in every day and there is no way that gun is coming out unless I pull it out. I can run, jump, ride and do whatever else and it won't come out. A good IWB or any holster for that matter will have the tr***** guarded as well so there is no chance to put your finger on the tr***** until it is out of the holster. I should say this is a good IWB, not a cheapo from some knockoff store. You can buy them with a thumb break if you don't feel comfortable that it will stay in place. I am not going to fumble my gun when I have to pull it out because I actually practice and have taken self defense classes to ensure proper technique. What would be the difference between fumbling from an IWB or a shoulder holster anyway????? I don't push guns on anyone and it is just my personal preference to carry one. If you don't like guns that is fine but don't start talking about something you obviously know nothing about.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Big15 said:
I am sorry but that is one of the most assinine things I have ever read. An IWB is not unsafe at all. I have an IWB that I carry in every day and there is no way that gun is coming out unless I pull it out. I can run, jump, ride and do whatever else and it won't come out. A good IWB or any holster for that matter will have the tr***** guarded as well so there is no chance to put your finger on the tr***** until it is out of the holster. I should say this is a good IWB, not a cheapo from some knockoff store. You can buy them with a thumb break if you don't feel comfortable that it will stay in place. I am not going to fumble my gun when I have to pull it out because I actually practice and have taken self defense classes to ensure proper technique. What would be the difference between fumbling from an IWB or a shoulder holster anyway????? I don't push guns on anyone and it is just my personal preference to carry one. If you don't like guns that is fine but don't start talking about something you obviously know nothing about.
I took IWB as meaning that you just jam the gun under your belt, not that you actually had it in a holster of some sort. In any case, no amount of practice is going to prepare you for when you actually need to pull it out. It's alot different when you're doing it under a controlled environment vs. when some big ass crack head is coming at you with a weapon of his own.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with you or guns, just people who don't know how to handle one (not saying that you are one of these people).

·
Registered
691 Posts
sjlee said:
Anyway, I don't have a problem with you or guns, just people who don't know how to handle one (not saying that you are one of these people).
I agree that people who do not know how to properly and safely handle a weapon should NOT be handling them at all. What I have learned from my training is that you will fall back on what you learn and practice, just like anything else. It is all muscle memory. If you practice poorly you will react that way too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts