Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post here. I'm taking the MSF course next weekend and I'm looking to get my first bike as soon as I get back. I've read all the opinions that a 600 R anything is not good for a 1st bike, but I think I'm ready for it. I've been riding my friends Katana 600 since early spring and I'm pretty comfortable on it. I consider myself more mature than most my age, and I'm approaching the world of sportbikes with a lot of caution. I'll get all the necessary gear along with the bike, and no, I'll never ride without it on. I'm turning 21 on Aug. 1 and for a little present to myself I've found a used '04 GSXR600 for $6,995 with 3xx miles. Appearance-wise it's flawless. Do you all think I should try to get the shop to lower the price, or is this a deal I should jump on? All the brand new ones in my city are at least $7,500. Thanks for any input, and I look forward to learning a lot from this site.
-Chris
 

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
Joined
·
2,061 Posts
My friend picked up a new '04 for 8100 (ouch! he didnt deal at all). I think thats not a bad price, but as usual, its a dealer, work em down a little.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why will I get flamed? Because I want to start off with a little more of a bike then most recommend? I'm open to any suggestions. If you think I'm doing something wrong, by all means please tell me. I'm here to learn from you guys.
 

·
#1 Gear Nazi
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
RACER X said:
http://home.earthlink.net/~thebradfords/startsmall.htm

btw, call your ins. agent, they may tell you what kinda bike you can get.
How many times do you think you have done that exact post, it's very relevant, it's just funny, I can recite that entire link it my head now without looking at it.

Also, I don't know how many times I've said this, or how many more times I will say it, but: Start on a smaller bike, you will be a much better rider in the long run, take it from me, I did, and I am! If you don't wanna take it from me, take it from Valentino Rossi, Max Biaggi, Nicky Hayden, etc....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RACER X said:
http://home.earthlink.net/~thebradfords/startsmall.htm

btw, call your ins. agent, they may tell you what kinda bike you can get.
Thanks for the article. I'd like to clarify that I'm not dead-set on getting such a new and powerful bike. I would like to find something, though, that I won't be getting rid of in a year. I like the SV650S also, and the GS500 was appealing as well. I'm not a Suzuki fanatic either, so recommendations for Honda's, Yamaha's, etc.....are more than welcome. Thanks for the help.
 

·
what R you lookin' at?
Joined
·
5,313 Posts
firefighter81 said:
take it from Valentino Rossi, Max Biaggi, Nicky Hayden, etc....
colin edwards, kevin schwantz, ben spies all were racing YSR50's along w/ nicky. in TX no less..... :headbang
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
gr82av8 said:
I would like to find something, though, that I won't be getting rid of in a year.
WHY? Beginner bikes aren't meant to be kept forever, maybe 2 yrs at most.

BTW, if you do get too much bike and wipe it out in 2 months, you'll be getting another one(if you survive the crash)...so throw out your logic on wanting to keep the bike for more than a yr.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
taziscool said:
WHY? Beginner bikes aren't meant to be kept forever, maybe 2 yrs at most.

BTW, if you do get too much bike and wipe it out in 2 months, you'll be getting another one(if you survive the crash)...so throw out your logic on wanting to keep the bike for more than a yr.
You have a good point. Maybe it's because it seems like I've waited so long to finally get a motorcycle. I've been interested in them my whole life, and I've finally become financially stable enough to afford one. Like I said before though, it's not like I'm going out tonight to buy it. I'm taking all of your opinions, as well as those of my friends who ride, into consideration. It just seemed like a good deal, and I wanted some input from people with more experience than me. Honestly, after hearing what you all said, reading the articles Racer X linked, and listening to my friends.....I seriously doubt I'm going the GSXR route. I'm really not looking to kill myself....just to have fun riding safely and maybe make some new friends along the way. Thanks to everyone for the constructive criticism.
-Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
wow, I wish all new riders were as open-minded and level-headed as you. Work your way up. If you ride a lot of miles, it won't take too long. You could be on a 600ss in less than a year if you put a ton of miles on your starter bike. It is all about mileage, not time.
 

·
#1 Gear Nazi
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
gr82av8 said:
You have a good point. Maybe it's because it seems like I've waited so long to finally get a motorcycle. I've been interested in them my whole life, and I've finally become financially stable enough to afford one. Like I said before though, it's not like I'm going out tonight to buy it. I'm taking all of your opinions, as well as those of my friends who ride, into consideration. It just seemed like a good deal, and I wanted some input from people with more experience than me. Honestly, after hearing what you all said, reading the articles Racer X linked, and listening to my friends.....I seriously doubt I'm going the GSXR route. I'm really not looking to kill myself....just to have fun riding safely and maybe make some new friends along the way. Thanks to everyone for the constructive criticism.
-Chris
Just remember, with whatever bike you get, respect the hell out of it. Because the second you stop respecting the awesome amount of power (even on a Ninja 500) that's between your legs, is the same second that the bike stops respecting your inputs. It's good to hear that you are being open minded about it. Watch out with your friends, there are alot of bike riders out there who would reccomend a 1000cc bike to a noobie. Hopefully they are good friends who care about you, and want you to come home safely after every ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Watch out with your friends, there are alot of bike riders out there who would reccomend a 1000cc bike to a noobie.
And dealers, too. Just the other day, I had a used bike dealer try selling me a fzr1000, right after I told them I was a pretty new rider, and was looking for a replacement for my beginnner bike that I wrecked. The worst part was that they had an ex500 sitting two bikes over, but was a few hundred dollars less. (so I'm sure less profit to be made.)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top