Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm very new to this sport, but getting a motorcycle has basically been my obsession of thought for a few years now...so I finally buckled down and am going for a 3 day course in a week or two. I know my near by Honda dealership sells gloves for about 30 bucks, but I was wondering if anyone had a link to a place that sells sort of inexpensive full fingered leather motorcycle gloves. I don't have a bike or anything yet (still saving haha) so I am just looking for something decent to get me started through the course and hopefully use as a I start off.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.
Mark

·
Registered
304 Posts
NewEnough is my first choice, followed by kneedraggers.com.

NE has more personal service, but kneedraggers has much more to choice from. Kneedraggers has good service as well, but don't expect to be able to call the hotline and get the owner, as can be down easily with NE.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
So are you looking for gloves that are even more inexpensive than the ones from your Honda dealer?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah honestly I don't know much about quality and stuff at this point, besides the obvious how gloves protect your hands, etc. but for the most part I just want a comfortable glove. I'm in college and I'm thinking since I am getting my license half way into this season (at least) that I'd probably be better off to just keep on saving and buy a bike sometime before next summer (I've been looking at a lot of 97-00 600's which seems to be more of my range). But since I don't know which type or color of bike I'm going to get, I'm looking for something a little more generic. For example, I'd love to have a red R6...but if I got red and black gloves and then ended up with a ZX6R that's green or something, I wouldn't want to not match.

As far as New Enough goes...how are those Joe Rocket gloves...some are only 17-19 dollars?

I don't like cheap things, but am just looking for something to get me started until I can build up some more funds for this. Honestly I'm so excited about getting a license and a bike, but I signed up for this course in January just cause I want to learn everything the right way. But I'm so tempted to just sell my car and buy a bike...I want to learn and ride so bad...I can't explain it. It's not just the thrilling speed (although sometimes I want to just drive something that scares me - cause my Camaro doesn't anymore haha. But I just want to cruise and enjoy every nice day on two wheels...

Any set of gloves that you would recommend? Spending 30 dollars or even more doesn't bother me as long as it's worth it. I just figured that in comparison to the dealership, I would be able to find a better deal for my money online.

Thanks again,

Mark

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Joe Rocket has a sketchy reputation in terms of quality. So far as matching, consider just buying black gear, it matches everything. You will probably go through different bikes more often than you think. And maybe a light colored helmet for visibility. Mine is solid yellow. You should also go visit the New Riders' forum and learn why 600's aren't good first bikes. $30 is *really* cheap for riding gloves. There are models that cost over $200. A decent helmet is going to cost you a couple of hundred bucks too. You're going to want to budget a good bit of money for riding gear. You might also want to look into getting an insurance quote, it's likely going to give you the same sticker shock as gear. There's nothing wrong with getting cheap gloves for your riding course or just learning to ride at slower speeds around the 'hood but I wouldn't feel too safe going fast in those. When I went to MSF most people were wearing baseball gloves from WalMart for the riding portion; it's what the instructor recommended as a cheap solution.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Technic Violator II's were highly recommended last year... very good prices were found on them at newenough.com as well...

Get gauntlet gloves... keeps wind and bugs from going up your sleeves...

As far as your gear matching your biks, don't worry about it. Match your gear to your gear... or go basic colors...

Black matches almost everything...
Black and yellow is quite common
Black and silver is quite common
Black and white is quite common
Black and green...
Black and red
Black and blue
My gear's black, yellow, silver, and also has a bit of white... it sort of matches my bike (burgundy/red '02 bandit 600s)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By gauntlet gloves do you mean the ones that go up a little bit past your wrist and that are a little longer, in opposition to those that just go to your wrist?

If it comes down to it, I'd definitely pick up a cheap pair at walmart, but I figured I probably could take that money and put them towards something I can use later...

the hunt continues haha

Mark

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
MadMarkAXP said:
By gauntlet gloves do you mean the ones that go up a little bit past your wrist and that are a little longer, in opposition to those that just go to your wrist?
Yep that's what it means.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I purchased a pair of the Teknic Violator gloves from NewEnough a few months ago. Very good quality gloves... double-stitched, carbon fiber knuckles, full grain leather, gauntlet-style. I got them for $39 plus shipping.

Some of the Joe Rocket gloves are good, but things to check for are double-stitching... you don't want the gloves to start coming apart during a crash.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought the Teknic Violator gloves also. Just wish I had bought the XXL.They really seem to run small!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Joe Rocket is the dominant brand in the country. You'll be fine with them.
Not knocking Joe Rocket, but being the dominant brand isn't always the best thing when it comes to protection. Maybe its because its price based there dominant.

Slava

ps. Alpinestars / Teknic / Held

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't skimp on gloves, people have a natural reaction to put their hands out to break a fall. Think about how valuable your hands are to your everyday life. You can find decent gloves pretty reasonably priced compared to other gear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts