Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recently picked up a 1992 ninja "600R" for his first streetbike.

Im having difficulty finding a quality ninja forum one that might encompass an older model like his.... any suggestions? (Besides the one here)

Also- on his forks it has a label "EDSC", or "ESDC" or something like that...
which stands for electronic daming control... I have no idea what it is or how it works, and im sure its outdated technology (at least for sportbikes), It has a dial of 1, 2, 3 on it and neither of us are sure what it does exactly.... anyone have an idea?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
279 Posts
zx6r.com/board

I used to be registered to that one until i realized i was not getting a zx6r as my first bike hahah :blowingup :grinbounc

·
Registered
82 Posts
Kawi Answers

Hello,

In my opinion, if your friend bought the bike from a trusted source, then he made a hell of a purchase. I bought my first rocket about 2 years ago and it is a '91 Kawi ZX6, just like your buddie's. To keep this post short, I believe that this is an awesome bike for a beginner. I still have this bike b/c I like it so much that I don't want to get rid of it..lol. The older ZX6 models are perfect b/c they are not as "torquey" as the new models, which is good b/c you friend won't have it slip out from under him if he gives it too much gas around a corner, and if he puts down his bike, at least it isn't a $7,000 bike he is ruining. As for your electronic dampening system, I'm not too familiar with this, but I'll tell you that the suspension on my bike works perfectly fine. Next time you see him, make sure he is wearing a helmet at all times. If he needs proof go to the pictures section of SBN and take a look at some of the crash footage. Peace

·
Registered
194 Posts
it's linked to the bike's brake levers. When the brakes are applied, a small valve is closed in one of the forks, which builds pressure, which in turn "prevents" the bike from diving under hard decceleration.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zippy said:
it's linked to the bike's brake levers. When the brakes are applied, a small valve is closed in one of the forks, which builds pressure, which in turn "prevents" the bike from diving under hard decceleration.

Concise and direct. perfect.

Thanks

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Here is a way to test the damping control. Without applying the front brake pump the forks up and down and feel how much spring pressure there is. Then apply the front brake and try to pump the forks up and down again. It will come up easily but when you try to press down on the forks, they should be very stiff... If the valve is working the forks will be much stiffer under braking. It's not that great of a system and could make the front end very very stiff under hard braking going over bumps. My old 900 Ninja had basically the same thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts