Sport Bikes banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the owners manual it says to replace the brake fluid every 2 years. Well my bike is 5 years old now and I don't think the brake fluid has ever been changed. So today I changed (bleed them) it no problem, only took like 20 mins to do fronts and rear brake. Also, my old brake fluid was BLACK, damn it was dirty, now it's nice and clear. Later today I went for about a 25 min ride and I can really tell a difference in my brakes, there not mushy anymore and are much more responsive now.

So to anyone with a bike over 2 years old I would recommend changing (bleeding) the brakes with new fluid :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
yes brake bleeding needs 2 be done more often than that if u ride alot.its the hot temps ur engine runsunder thats making ur fluid black.i also recommend changing to stainless lines if u dont have already ull thank me l8r.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just installed galfer braided lines for my 99 750....and the fluid was never changed before that....

What a difference.....its like night and day

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Nice.....

Brake fluid is one of the most neglected fluid maintenances in terms of automobiles...it's right up there with trans fluid and coolant. Everyone seems to forget that you need to change more than just the oil. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
And for the record, The engine temperature has nothing to do with the color that your fluid changes to. It has to do with: Age, How much moisture the fluid has absorbed, and how much sunlight (specifically UV rays) that your fluid has been exposed to.

:)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hmmm, I might want to check mine then, I'm not sure if anyone(previous owner) has ever changed mine and considering its almost 10 years old.

·
Registered
106 Posts
high engine temps do discolor ur fluid faster.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
I change brake fluid on my U2 150 everytime I change the brake pads (about 6 months, they only last about 4,000 miles). And man, I can already feel the difference, and I replaced it 3 months ago!!!

Guess it is not so easy to notice on the SS bikes as they have strong brake systems, not so marginal systems as my U2.

I think the best way is to replace the fluid with every brake pad change.

How much time it takes, 20 minutes? What, a brake job, front and rear will take you like 30 minutes, bleeding both 1 hour. 1 hour and a half and you'r brakes are at 100%?

90 minutes for your safety, and if you start early in the morning, you sill have all the day to enjoy them!

I'm really amazed by how lazy people are when it comes to manteinance of such critical systems!

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
High brake system temps discolor fluid faster, not higher engine temps....the two systems aren't really connected. Heavy, consistent, and high-speed application of the brakes will turn the fluid quicker...it's mostly caused by moisture, mileage, and braking system temperatures which are heightened by erratic riding behaviors.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
FloridaMike said:
explain why please
:) Like I said....high BRAKING SYSTEM temps discolor it.....engine temps don't play a role. That's like saying, oh man I overheated my bike yesterday and my brake fluid came boiling out of the lines and squirted out of the reservoir.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts