Sport Bikes banner

Good first bike???

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  taziscool 
#1 · (Edited)
I know, this being a sportbike forum, most of you will probably go EEWWWW, when you see these pictures, but I'm looking for a good starting bike, not the best looking bike.

This bike is a 1985 Honda Shadow, 500cc. It has all sorts of silly stuff on it to make it look like a Hardley Movingson. The deal is $500 as shown. The guy is also willing to throw in any of his old helmets, and he said he has a full face he can give. He also has the repair manual to throw in.

He's selling this bike because the guy got old and crippled, so he had a volkswagen trike made for him, so he rides that instead. He's just some weird guy that works at the National Guard that I met while I was going some contract work for the National Guard. He says that it had lost some power and ran a little hot before he stopped riding it. He says that a mechanic said it was a bad carb, but since he doesn't know bike mechanics well, and was having the trike built, he left it as is and tarped it for the last two years. So, maybe a little project to get running, hopefully not more than 500 dollars extra.

So, what do you guys think?? Good starter, learner bike??

(BTW, first post since the new site started. First time caller, long time listener :))

EDIT: Some ugly pictures of a Honda Shadow made to look like a harley. Nothing more to see here. Deleted to save bandwidth.

See less See more
#2 ·
If I was you and you just looking for something to learn and don't wanna spend to much just get a dirt bike or a ninja 250 they go for cheap.

I wouldn't be seen riding that bike not even if I was payed but thats just me.

And being so beat up you never know what you might run into with mechanical problems.

#3 ·
I'd have to concur with getting a ninja 250. Their nice little bikes, cheap to insure and are great to learn how to ride on. If you just intrested in 'posing' at the gas stations and what not get a blown up busa and just tow it around and stand by it.

haha...j/k But IMO a Ninja is the way to go for a first bike.

#7 ·
Yeah... I've had the bug to ride for like 8 years. Money and parents have kept me down. I'm coming to the point of not listening to what the ole' man says and getting any bike. I mean I want two wheels, that's it. Seat, handle bars, all optional, I just want to get out there and ride. So I'm looking for a good starter bike. If I got a hold of some money, I'd love either a standard SV650 or a Monster 620 Dark. A hornet (honda 599) would also be cool, but it may be a little much for a first bike. I just want to be smart for this first bike. If things go according to plan, my first bike won't be my last bike, just want to start it off right.

#8 ·
I see nothing wrong with buying that bike if it's reliable...Motorcycling to me is about the ride, not the bike...There's a few in my group of SB'rs that ride bikes similar to that, and they're as much of our group as any one on a sportbike...One day, I'll even graduate to a cruiser...And I'll probably still be on this board :D

No matter what you get, just remember that it dosen't matter if it's a SB or a cruiser, you have to LEARN to ride...It's not a given that you will know how to react when you're faced with a car pulling out, or gravel, sand, errant rodents, or anything else...So take your time and enjoy...

#9 ·
I know $500 sounds pretty cheap, but I'm not so sure about that bike. The bike's nearly 20 years old. The guy said it had carb problems last time he rode it, and it's been tarped for 2 years since? Sounds like a lot of headaches. I'd have someone thoroughly check that bike out before I committed.

I know you want to ride, and don't care much WHAT you ride, but that bike sounds like trouble. I'd shop around, see if you can find a bike that's been ridden and maintained for around $1000-1500. You'd probably come out ahead....

#10 · (Edited)
gpTT said:
I know $500 sounds pretty cheap, but I'm not so sure about that bike. The bike's nearly 20 years old. The guy said it had carb problems last time he rode it, and it's been tarped for 2 years since? Sounds like a lot of headaches. I'd have someone thoroughly check that bike out before I committed.

I know you want to ride, and don't care much WHAT you ride, but that bike sounds like trouble. I'd shop around, see if you can find a bike that's been ridden and maintained for around $1000-1500. You'd probably come out ahead....
Good advice...Go to HERE and put in your price and see what comes up...You have to go to the search icon......You never know..

#11 ·
Look somewhere else. Bikes that are not regulerly run especially an older model like this will be troublesome. Rust in the tank, clogged carbs, hard to get parts, battery, dry cables, dried up hard tires, seals likely to leak.

Find a good used runner to learn and get experience on. Suz GS 500, Kaw EX500, Kaw ex 250, etc...

#12 ·
Here are a few recommended bikes that are probably good choices for new riders:some current, some older models
BMW F650
Buell Blast
Honda Nighthawks CB 250
Honda Rebel 250, Shadow 600 VLX, Shadow 750
Honda XR 650L
Kawasaki Super Sherpa, KLR 250 & KLR650
Kawasaki Eliminator 125, Vulcan 500LTD, W650
Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 500R
Suzuki DR 200, 400, 650
Suzuki GZ250 & Savage
Suzuki GS500
Suzuki SV650 (maybe)
Yamaha TW200, XT225, XT350
Yamaha Virago 250, 535, V-Star 650

Obviously there may be others as well.

#13 ·
I agree with the above. A cheap bike doesn't mean a good starter. You get what you pay for. The bike isn't going to do you any good parked in your garage broken. It is important to buy a bike new enough to still get parts for it. Good years to look for is mid 90's. I learned how to ride on the street with a cruiser (Gs550LX) I felt like it was a little easier to handle than the sportbikes. I knew it wansn't my forever bike, hell no bike is a forever bike, but it was nice to learn on. I know that the 250 route 66 bike is a fairly nice bike that won't cost an arm and a leg.

#14 ·
This is why we have problems with new riders killing themselves. I can completely relate to them. We have all these great "starter" bikes that with the exception of the SV650 are pretty much hideous (not trying to offend any Ninja 250/500 owners, I started on a 500 too). If we had more options like say the FZR400 or the CBR400 like we have here in Europe I think people would be more willing to buy a smaller displacement bike. It's not fair to new riders that there is a big gap between the Ninja 250 and Supersport 600's. Suzuki impressed me with the GS500 being fully faired and actually looking halfway decent. Also Kawasaki, I think it's about time to remodel the Ninja 250/500, ~15 years of the same design is not a good thing. On a side note, that FZR400 is an absolute blast to ride, light, handles good, and decent power.

Are you listening bike manufacturers? FILL THE GAP!

#16 ·
offer 300 if it runs at all.....and do some work on it, getting to know HOW they work is fun.

btw, the rest of you STOP thowing out all the :bs blanket statements about older bikes....I can still get brand new parts from the dealer for my 79 and 83 models.....if ya don't have a clue, shut it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.