Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Well I will complete MSF Monday the 8th and get my license on Tuesday.

I have been to a few dealerships including Harley Davidson in Port Huron where I am taking the course. Also I have been to Macomb powersports (macomb kawa, yama..) and K&W Cycle. K&W had little to offer nothing used and could only offer me a new Kawasaki 250 for 4000. Macomb curently had nothing but is getting new stuff and said to call everyonce and a while.

I am in Fraser, Macomb County. I was wondering if there were any good places for used bikes that I have overlooked. By good I mean not marking the used bikes up 2g's over blue book. Also Macomb wanted me to pay for the saftey inspection they do when they buy the bikes in addition to the sticker tax and title.

What I am looking for is a 250-600cc used/new bike, models probably CBR600 Kawasaki 250 or 500. I have 3500 to spend to get started BUT I also need to pay for a year of insurance and any maitnance and the 50 for title and plates. So my price range is somewhere between 3000 high and lower. I need something reliable and that will last me. I want a bike that can take a 500 mile trip without breaking down (shit happens but not do to lack of maitnance and high ware.)

If you think you could point me in a direction or the name of a place please feel free to post.

I get Cycle trader
and have tried online classifieds.

I have found a ninja 500 in cleavland for 3g's but dont really want to go so far if I can find something comprable closer.

Thanks

Does anyone actually sell at or bellow MSRP?

Last edited by xboxdynasty on 08-05-2005 at 04:35 AM

·
Registered
132 Posts
You're not going to be able to buy a bike from any dealer with that amount of money in hand. Are you forgetting tax on whatever you buy, if you buy from a dealer. You could finance and use that for a down payment but I assume you are looking to cash out. I recommend you continue to look through the cycletrader, both publication and online, as well craigslist.com, carbuyer.com (select motorcycles), wheelbytel.com, and ebay, just to name a few.

You could also check 4mag.com. They're an auto auction in Romulus. They get repo's from time to time. I seen (bidded but lost) an 01 zx6r walk out the door for 2K plus applicable fees.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Be sure to check the classifieds in the online forums. I recently saw a cbr600f2 in great shape for 1900 or 2000. The deals are there. If you were willing to take a little ride, your options would grow greatly. I bought my bike in Indianapolis in April for 2200. Made for a nice overnight trip.

·
Registered
345 Posts
WELCOME TO MOTORCYCLING !

Be patient.
Learn good skills.
Practice the one's you have difficulty with.
Keep your eyes open on the road.

BMW of Detroit at 14.5 Mile and VanDyke, and Detroit Eurocycles on 9 Mile west of I-94 both usually have some used bikes that may be of interest.
At BMW, check out the used for sale board by the coffee klutch area.
Check 'em out! Hell, visit every local dealer you can, and grab all the free literature/newsletters/flyers! Good education.

Also check out Cycletrader.com online. Be patient and try a variety of searches.

My personal recommendation would be a used 750cc Nighthawk or SV650 naked version or similar 500-750cc naked sit-upright type bike as a first steed.

NEVER get a cruiser or sport bike or full-tourer for a first bike ! ! !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
MilleArp said:
WELCOME TO MOTORCYCLING !

NEVER get a cruiser or sport bike or full-tourer for a first bike ! ! !
Why not a sport bike? THats what I plan to get as it is simmilar to the blasts we ride in the course and will be my eventual main bike. Thinking that all new riders are irresponsable and have no self-control to be safe, is ridiculous.

I cant afford nor have any interst in a Harley of a touring bike. Just because you have a sport bike doesnt mean you have to ride on the roads like your racing. A ninja 250 would be smaller and less powerful than most beginner bikes.

Naked bikes are also not very good. If you are responsable and can balance you wont drop you bike. Dont take a turn hot so you can accelerate through. It's idiots who brake on a turn when they run into trouble, or can't walk a bike or ride in stop and go.

You dont take you bike on the highway as soon as you get it your unfimilair and highway riding may be way beyond your capabilities or saftey level.

I plan to protect myself be smart, safe, and easy on the gas. I dont want to race, I want to enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
706 Posts
xboxdynasty said:
If you are responsable and can balance you wont drop you bike.
That is why they are called accidents. I am a mature rider and careful on most occassions to ride within my capabilities. This is my first full season riding and have put almost 5000 miles on since the end of April. Guess what, my bike has been down. Was taking it easy, but gravel is unforgiving. Being an aware rider, I wasn't riding fast and saw the gravel, so I went down slow, but I went down.

It's not guarunteed that you'll go down. Great if you don't. But that statement, IMO, is asinine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bad Habit said:
That is why they are called accidents. I am a mature rider and careful on most occassions to ride within my capabilities. This is my first full season riding and have put almost 5000 miles on since the end of April. Guess what, my bike has been down. Was taking it easy, but gravel is unforgiving. Being an aware rider, I wasn't riding fast and saw the gravel, so I went down slow, but I went down.

It's not guarunteed that you'll go down. Great if you don't. But that statement, IMO, is asinine.
I agree.

This is my second season riding and you (xbox) have no idea of the situations and circumstances that will present themselves that have the potential of you going down. It's great that you're are taking the MSF, as I did, but MSF is just the starting point. MSF is good for teaching you the basic operation of a motorcycle but it does nothing with regard to everyday occurrances and proper reactions to them. I went down the very first time I took my bike out last season while executing a U-turn. Fortunately, I've had no other dates with the pavement but a sh!tload of closecalls with other cagers on the road. Xbox, be careful and go into this with the proper attitude.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Yeah..... i got my 95 katana from a guy i found on craigslist.com.... wanted 2000, i got it for 1300

needed some work, but being an engineer has its benefits.

also, if you buy private, you can put the selling price as whatever you want, so tax is cheap

i also heard of a guy getting a bike similar to mine for 1400 from a dealership in ohio, so it's possible, especially in the late fall when people want to trade them in.

and DONT go to K&W, those guys are assholes, try rosenau (sp?) powersports. it's in dearborn on ford rd. just west of telegraph, they have EVERYTHING- gear and bikes. you'll love em

good luck- stay safe!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I agree I might drop it. Thats why theirs fairing guards and cheap mufflers. But saying dont get a crotch rocket b/c you'll kill yourself or drop it is bs. So you might drop it. You might drop a 1000 pound harley. Anything can happen. Dont be ignorant I dont want to hear byast views, everyone thats a new rider and rides a sportbike is a risktaker, irresponsable, and gonna race on the streets especially beyond their ability.

Come on know ... btw I found my bike its a '98 fzr600 from someone privately... for 2800 with only 7k miles and in mint condit..

ITs already got gaurds so i dont have to wory if i tip over. Besides thats why u carry insurance. OMG ignorant ppl annoy me.

Also the gravel thing... dont u scope where ur gonna be riding first.

Now that I've pissed everyone off

I'm out :upyours

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not really sure who your response is directed towards but from your post it is clear you have a problem with advice. I don't particularly suggest any bike on anyone as I feel it is your choice to ride whatever you want. However, you are definitely misinformed with regard to mufflers, frame sliders, the purpose of insurance, as well as the hazards (i.e. gravel) on the road. I don't wish any ill will but good luck because you are going to need it.

By the way, for future reference, don't post on a public forum if you can't take constructional criticism.

·
Registered
706 Posts
xboxdynasty said:
Also the gravel thing... dont u scope where ur gonna be riding first.

Now that I've pissed everyone off

I'm out :upyours
No, you see. I ride everywhere I go. Unless my wife and kids are coming along, I'm on the bike. It is impossible to "scout" every road, all the time when you actually ride. When you are out to hit some good twisties, you do try to know the roads better. Being a newb, I'm learning these things as I go, of course, and when you actually start riding, you will too.

And as far as pissing everyone off, I'm sure the guys here really don't worry for too long after they read your posts about how you feel. This is the internet, remember.

Glad you found a bike. Glad you are taking MSF. Good luck, ride safe, and most importantly, Have fun.
:cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was mainly meaning to offend MilleArp... I realize as the saying goes "SH!T happens" I just dont like the idea of not riding a sport bike for my first ride. I might drop it thats why im going used and low deduc full coverage.

I was in a wierd mood .... if i wasnt good at taking advice I would never have been able to get rid of some of my old dirt bike habbits in the MSF. Now that I'm M-class doesnt mean I'm gonna quit taking advice and learning. If ya dont sharpen ur skills theyll only get dull and so will you chances of survival.

I like my life as pitiful as it may be lol.... I'm gonna try to keep it for as long as possible. Even if it is gonna be shorter w/ a sport bike as a frist ride. :banana

·
Registered
132 Posts
Enjoy your new ride, there is nothing that compares. The point I was trying to make was dont be clueless with regard to the hazards that will present themselves. In particular, you will experience a situation where you ride over a bump (maybe a series of bumps) and your hand will autmatically roll on the throttle, more, forcing your body back potentially losing control. All I am saying is enjoy this sport but listen to the advice the more experienced can offer. Iv'e been riding two seasons and am I still learning new things everyday. I am always willing to ride with whoever so post up, we can all get out and ride together.

·
Registered
345 Posts
xboxdynasty said:
I was mainly meaning to offend MilleArp..... :banana
Yer gonna have ta try harder than that!
:rolleyes

But, my 140,000+ miles, track days, and MSF/PB/ERC background still stands behind my original statements.
>>> EDIT: recalculated... over 150,000 miles!!! <<<

As a Libertarian, I support your right to freedom and freedom of choice.
However, if you make a stupid choice after being offered sound advice;
I have the freedom to laugh my ass off at you, point my finger,
and say "told ya so!".
:eek:nfloor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MilleArp said:
Yer gonna have ta try harder than that!
:rolleyes

But, my 140,000+ miles, track days, and MSF/PB/ERC background still stands behind my original statements.

As a Libertarian, I support your right to freedom and freedom of choice.
However, if you make a stupid choice after being offered sound advice;
I have the freedom to laugh my ass off at you, point my finger,
and say "told ya so!".
:eek:nfloor

lol not worth taking the time too....

but have fun with you "sound advice" and all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts