Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arai and shoei and the like cost fortunes. I just cannot afford these. I was wondering about any helmets that are good for there price. I think HJC is any other?

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Scorpion are making some great helmets at great prices. I haven't owned one yet, but by examing my friends, it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
I went into cycle gear to buy a scorpion exo-700 and walked out with a kbc.

When I got to the car I was like what the hell?! How did that salesman just do that? Oh well $80 saved.

EDIT: TRUE STORY! urg I need to go to sleep

·
Registered
801 Posts

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
IMO nothing beats the scorpion helmets in the 150-200 dollar range. I have a EXO-400 and I love how it fits. It has some nice features found on higher end helmets. It totally blows HJC and KBC out of the water. Go check them out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Scorpion EXO700 Raider and LOVE it. It's a bit heavy though. You should go to your local Scorpion dealer and try one on. If I had the money, I would have gone with an Arai

·
Politically incorrect
508 Posts
A good, cheap helmet - isn't that a contradiction in terms.

On the other hand, how would a layman know what constitutes a good helmet. I guess I would have to rely on something like Consumers Reports, or one of the motorcycle magazines who knows how to evaluate what constitutes "good".

I sort of rely upon buying a helmet from one of the most successful manufacturers. I have a Shoei helmet.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
is that what your heads worth?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Well, my head is worth a DOT/Snell certified helmet. So I saved some cash while I was at it and got a Scorpion EXO400. I'm very happy with it, much better than my old HJC in every way literally.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
RACER X said:
is that what your heads worth?

Find a DOT and Snell approved helmet that fits properly and buy it...don't worry about the price or name on it...Motorcycles are an expensive habit...

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Scorpions seem great but we really have no track record yet. HJC makes very decent helmets with a good track record. The CL14 is well ventilated and works well.

Ignore the "how much is your head worth" crowd. If you've studied helmets, helmet safety and helmet construction you'll know there is not a correlation between high expensiveness and safety. On the other hand, the Motorcyclist recommended helmets from Walmart are probably not a good idea. You can get a very safe and servicable helmet for under 150. What you are looking for is a second-tier name brand like KBC, HJC, or (perhaps) Scorpion.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
so jim, what kinda lid do you wear?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Good Cheap Helmet = OxyMORON If you can't afford good gear to protect yourself, you shouldn't be on a bike

·
Registered
910 Posts
Regarding DOT/Snell certified motorcycle helmets, there is no known correlation with helmet expense and enhanced crash-worthiness. The "if you have a 10$ head, wear a 10$ helmet" chant is meaningless.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
says another person wearing a nice looking shoei......lol

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I have an HJC (CL-14).
VERY comfortable, not REALLY loud but certainly not quite. Good ventilation, not much fog. I do wish it had a spoiler to keep it from lifting at high (85mph+) speeds.

A friend has a KBC TK-9 (which I bought after crash testing his VR-1).
Its more snug than my HJC but it fits his head perfect. Has VERY good ventilation and is about the same as my HJC for noise factor.

Scorpion EXO-700 - haven't ridden in one but tried one on at MSF this weekend. Fits even more snug than the KBC (mostly in the cheek area).
Has the spoiler I'm looking for. Looks to have good ventilation - can't be sure until you really test that. Obviously I don't know about noise either.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
for all you cheap helmet advocates.....

don't forget wally world is carrying, DOT lids now......

$44,made by a large helmet manuf.

$78 for full face

so any of ya'll gonna get one? or keep wearing your arai/shoei???

·
Registered
966 Posts
CBR Gurlie said:
Good Cheap Helmet = OxyMORON If you can't afford good gear to protect yourself, you shouldn't be on a bike
+1, I did the cheap helmet thing once, and thats the last time. I highsided on the track with a KBC and ended up getting a level 2 concusion, and the medics took my helmet off in two halfs. Now you can make the argument that the helmet saved my head, but after this I didnt want a helmet coming off my head in two halfs so I went back to my AGV's xvent/ti-tech. And also if you thinking about "will my helmet protect me in accident" your not concetrating on the track/road. Kinda the same thing with tires.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts