Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
was at the dealer today getting a new gasket for my R6 and they had a
2012 R1 0 miles and a 07 ducati 1098 with a full termignoni exhaust and power pure tires that are about at the end of their tread life. well the rear was anyway. I'm sort of getting the itch to buy a new bike.
I didn't ask if these prices were to be tax included. the place was a mad house and I needed to get out of there before I spent money lol.
what do you guys feel about these prices?

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
12,599 is probably a good deal OTD on the R1. Sticker is 13,990 and they probably make somewhere around 10% - 15% on new models. For a '12 I'd be aiming for dealer cost, especially if you're paying cash and Yamaha isn't running any promotions. Looks like the price went up for 2013, but I don't know if anything changed on the bike.

Seems high on the Ducati, but I'm used to seeing private party numbers. I'd keep in mind they probably gave the previous owner no more than 7k on trade.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I'd never pay that for that duc.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i've been searching online for that duc and I'm seeing mostly more for about the same miles. a few just under at like 9-95 but with 20K+ miles.

it is pretty clean and I would say close to mint condition.

the R1 I seen at another dealer was a 2010 and they were still asking 14k.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Man, when did bike prices take off like they have? I still remember paying $9500 otd for my ZX10 brand new back in 04. I don't think you can get a brand new 600 for that anymore. :(

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
It seems like most of the 1098's that I see are selling for $11-13,000. With Ducati's, I think a full exhaust does add something to the value of the bike, just because they are crazy expensive. But your opinion may vary. Therefore, the market's opinion does vary as well. Just my $.02, miles hurt desirability with Ducati's, the full exhaust helps it out. If it was my bike, I'd Craigslist it at around $11,750 and try to hold out for $11,000. So, I think they're being pretty fair. I highly doubt that they have $7,000 into it. Would you have traded in your 1098 for $7,000??? It's probably an ACV of about $9,000-9,500. Hell, it could have even been a bad deal and has an ACV of $12,00 and the GM or Sales Manager wants to move it now, so the loss gets buried in the spring sales.

My local dealer has two low mileage 1098's, both black, both with power commanders and exhausts, for $13,995. So, $10,300 is much better.

As far as the R1 goes, was $14k really the MSRP? If so, it's probably a good deal. You might find one a bit cheaper, because some dealers will cut into holdback to move leftovers out the door. If the MSRP is really 14, they are right around cost, excluding incentives/rebates.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It seems like most of the 1098's that I see are selling for $11-13,000. With Ducati's, I think a full exhaust does add something to the value of the bike, just because they are crazy expensive. But your opinion may vary. Therefore, the market's opinion does vary as well. Just my $.02, miles hurt desirability with Ducati's, the full exhaust helps it out. If it was my bike, I'd Craigslist it at around $11,750 and try to hold out for $11,000. So, I think they're being pretty fair. I highly doubt that they have $7,000 into it. Would you have traded in your 1098 for $7,000??? It's probably an ACV of about $9,000-9,500. Hell, it could have even been a bad deal and has an ACV of $12,00 and the GM or Sales Manager wants to move it now, so the loss gets buried in the spring sales.

My local dealer has two low mileage 1098's, both black, both with power commanders and exhausts, for $13,995. So, $10,300 is much better.

As far as the R1 goes, was $14k really the MSRP? If so, it's probably a good deal. You might find one a bit cheaper, because some dealers will cut into holdback to move leftovers out the door. If the MSRP is really 14, they are right around cost, excluding incentives/rebates.

that is the msrp for the black one. the 2013 blue is more expensive for whatever reason. it's $14490.:shrug

2012 Yamaha YZF-R1 Specifications, specs

I'm not seeing any differences between the 2012 and 2013 on their website.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'm with Jake, bikes got expensive!!!
I know what you mean. The OTD cost of the 2012 GSXR 750 I just bought was as much (maybe a few hundred more) as the OTD cost of my 2008 Hayabusa. And it was 3K more than the OTD cost of my 2002 F4i (seems like just yesterday, but that was 11 years ago... ).

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
It seems like most of the 1098's that I see are selling for $11-13,000. With Ducati's, I think a full exhaust does add something to the value of the bike, just because they are crazy expensive.
It's the "Termignoni Tax", basically needed to get the bike to run right as they come from the factory setup to meet emissions, not to run right.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would go with the R1, lower maintenance and you've been working on your R6 for so long that maybe some of that knowledge can trickle towards the R1 maintenance. Just a thought...

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
yamaha's are one of the best bikes to work on. they have a built in diagnostic system you use via the instrument cluster. it allows you to test all of the electronic circuits on the bike. hell you don't even need a multimeter to test the battery voltage.

I love the sound of the R1 but that duc sounds just like it pretty much. and it's super bad ass looking compared to the R1

going by pictures on the net that one may have an aftermarket clutch system. it has an open cover all the ones I see are closed.

it looks like this one but with black rims.
Ducati 1098S

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
going by pictures on the net that one may have an aftermarket clutch system. it has an open cover all the ones I see are closed.

it looks like this one but with black rims.
Ducati 1098S
The dry clutches were cool as hell. This was my old one:

I don't know why, but I like dry clutches and I like open primaries on Harleys. I think I like noise and things that spin in general. I always put the bike in neutral at stop signs, just to watch it spin. (Yes, I'm a dork)...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts