Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just passed MSF and will be getting my license soon.

A guy is selling his sister's cbr 600f2 with 20,000 miles for $2750.

He has a pic and it looks to be in perfect condition at least looks-wise...he says it's been garage kept and it in tip top shape.

I'm going to his house tonight to look at it. Does anyone have advice on what to look for? When riding it?

Also..at 20,000 miles will I need to get the valves adjusted? How much?

Thanks! :D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,658 Posts
If it's a 92 and the plastic isn't scraped up, it's prolly in good running shape too. Check around the forks to see if their is any fluid/oil leaking. If so bad fork seal (not really a big deal but it could be an indicator of a wheelie bike). Check the chain. If it's rusty, don't believe a single word the guy has to say about how well-maintained the bike is. I don't know what the valve adjustment on a F2 interval is. Good luck with the bike and talk that sucker down to $2,250 unless it's in exceptional shape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
busarider54 said:
If it's a 92 and the plastic isn't scraped up, it's prolly in good running shape too. Check around the forks to see if their is any fluid/oil leaking. If so bad fork seal (not really a big deal but it could be an indicator of a wheelie bike). Check the chain. If it's rusty, don't believe a single word the guy has to say about how well-maintained the bike is. I don't know what the valve adjustment on a F2 interval is. Good luck with the bike and talk that sucker down to $2,250 unless it's in exceptional shape.
very good advice, I didn't think about the chain.

thanks a lot

anyone else? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Also while looking at the chain and see if the sprockets look like hooks, and while riding listen for any rattling, dunno if f2s do it but its something to look out for. Use commin sense, ask the guy not to have it warmed up when you get there so you can see if it fires up cold from the first try, that or surprise him by showing up about 30 minutes early. good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
I had a 93 F2 for a little while. Nice bike, but known to blow the regulator/rectifier. I thought I had a bad battery after I got mine, replaced it, only to find it would not start a week later. You can get one pretty cheap on eBay (~$75) but the dealers want $150 for them! :pisson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
busarider54 said:
Good luck with the bike and talk that sucker down to $2,250 unless it's in exceptional shape.

+1

I got my '02 F4i for $3500.
Now that its full on riding season (though do you have an off season in Hawaii?) you're gonna pay more anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
hozhead said:
+1

I got my '02 F4i for $3500.
Now that its full on riding season (though do you have an off season in Hawaii?) you're gonna pay more anyway.
You got a great deal. I paid $4,800 last year for mine in april (peak bike buying around here), but it looks like I could still unload it on ebay for $5,000. . .you gotta let me know where you get your bikes :) Honda's are great, that f2 should be rock solid. If it was his sister's, it prolly not a wheelie bike. and the fork seals wont always let you know. I wheelie the hell out of mine and the seals are perfect :) Get that Honda, you're gonna have a blast :slaugh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks a lot!

did I mention that I rode the exact same bike in the same color back in '92?

It was my college friend's bike and we swapped rides for a while...he rode my ex500

after riding the f2 I did not want to get off it....worst feeling in the world.

now I may be able to own one! :D
 

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
Joined
·
20,262 Posts
MT, make sure when you open the throttle up that it "snaps" back to the original position as well.

If you get it you'll have to bring over so I can take a look at it...throw Liz on the back :lao
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rascus said:
MT, make sure when you open the throttle up that it "snaps" back to the original position as well.

If you get it you'll have to bring over so I can take a look at it...throw Liz on the back :lao
you got it Rascus!

:D though she'd much rather ride with you I'm sure

and I will check the throttle and everything I can
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I saw it tonight, it has a few nicks and scratches here and there but what can you expect for a bike that's 13 yrs old?

The sprocket doesn't looked hooked and the chain looks well-lubed and not rusted.

Saw no fork leaks. He is the 2nd owner.

Engine is strong! And smooth....it also shifts nicely. All lights work and it's loud with vance hines exhaust.

The only issue is he doesn't know when the bike was last serviced...he was judging strictly by the way it ran that it was good. So I may need to do an oil change, valve adjustment.

The seller is a really nice guy who dropped it to $2500. I'm gonna take it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
MT Wallet said:
Ok I saw it tonight, it has a few nicks and scratches here and there but what can you expect for a bike that's 13 yrs old?

The sprocket doesn't looked hooked and the chain looks well-lubed and not rusted.

Saw no fork leaks. He is the 2nd owner.

Engine is strong! And smooth....it also shifts nicely. All lights work and it's loud with vance hines exhaust.

The only issue is he doesn't know when the bike was last serviced...he was judging strictly by the way it ran that it was good. So I may need to do an oil change, valve adjustment.

The seller is a really nice guy who dropped it to $2500. I'm gonna take it.

I would get the 8k service done on the bike when you get it, and then you know exactly where it stands as far as maintenance. No sense in taking a chance and waiting a few more miles to do the service if it needs to be done. Besides, it's a Honda, as long as it starts, you are in good shape. Hope that it works out for you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oober said:
I would get the 8k service done on the bike when you get it, and then you know exactly where it stands as far as maintenance. No sense in taking a chance and waiting a few more miles to do the service if it needs to be done. Besides, it's a Honda, as long as it starts, you are in good shape. Hope that it works out for you!
thanks!

do you know how much that 8k service costs?

I would like to get that done and then buy a disc lock and cover and I should be good to go.

I wish the exhaust wasn't so darn loud, since I live in a condo...but we do have security.
Also need boots and a jacket.
 

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
Joined
·
20,262 Posts
MT Wallet said:
<---- chinese :(
Yea brah, but you go da hook up. Us ha'loe boys get ono'd :lol
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top