Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so finally broke down and replaced my dead steering bearings, which have been dieing a very painful death for the past 8k km (19k km total on the bike). Since I had everything apart installed the R6 forks and brakes that have been sitting around for probably the past two months. Finally got my Garmin power wire and Ram mount a few days ago so figured I would install that as well. I hate messy wiring so I figured why not add an accessory fuse box at the same time.

The bearings were pretty straight forward to do, a lot of hammering on various things and it was done. Accessory fuse box not so much, had the bearings/forks done in an afternoon, the fuse box took me three days. Mostly because I had to run around trying to find the fuse box, ground box, and various other little things while still working during the daytime.

First disassembly, I sat the bike on the centre (that's right americans not center :twofinger) stand, and levered it back with tie downs around a building support

no surprise on the bearings when I took them apart

bottom:

top:

both together:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
almost back together looking very streetfighterish while finishing up the fuse box:

found a clamp to use for the R6 reservoir:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
now for the fuse box, used a small six fuse unit from Princess Auto (Canadian tool store), and a terminal box with one side shorted at each circuit with spade connectors with the ends cut off:

fused wiring at the battery:

my boxes mounted underneath the seat (never used the space anyways):

you can see the relay in the bottom left corner:

Garmin yay!:

finally finished product:

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Great job! I did almost exactly the same mods in bulk except that I placed the relay over the batter, the fuse box and the battery ground jumper strip in the left fairing. Also added a voltmeter, 12V powerlet in the left inner cowl (drilled) and added to switch to turn on/off the fuse box.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That really looks great on your bike. Gives me an idea, I might replace the steering head bearings while I do the r6 fork swap too. How much did they run you?(USD)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bearings were $20, the forks/brakes/adapter kit/Galfer lines cost me $200cdn from someone local who sold his FZ6 and didn't get around to putting them on.

and yeah, the bearings were done a long long time ago, I just kept on riding on them. The top ones probably could have been cleaned up, but the bottom ones were completely pitted and corroded, I guess that's what 19k km of riding in a lot of rain and never repacking them will do. I really liked it naked too, that's a project for another day though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts