Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my yzf600r. Good beginner bike, but I decided I want something a bit faster. I was looking at CBR600RR's and stumbled on a '98 Ducati 748 Biposto, and a 99 Ducati 996. Both are decently priced. I'm thinking I need more experience before I can think about riding the 996, but I may be able to handle the 748. I'm 6'1", 190lbs, and have been riding for about a year. Should I go 748, 996, or stick with 600's?

And this being my first post here, I thought I'd throw in one of these cool smilies. :headbang

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
me and a good friend of mine sometimes trade bikes at the track for a few laps. He's got a 998 Duc, it's a great bike, but be prepared for high maintenance bills if you can't do the work yourself. Ducatis are very picky bikes and are "attention whores." So just do some research before you get yourself in over your head. Also, make sure you hear it run first, and don't worry about the chattering sound, it's a dry clutch, some people hate the sound of a dry clutch so much that they won't buy the bike. It's a unique sound, and the uninformed will always ask you if something is wrong with your bike. The Ducati 748 for basic straight line and light twisty performance will run with new 600's, but it's got alot more exotic feel to it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
it is my assumption that the 750 twin is comparable to a 600 I4 in power and the liter twin comparable to a 750 I4

·
Registered
126 Posts
LifeLiberty said:
it is my assumption that the 750 twin is comparable to a 600 I4 in power and the liter twin comparable to a 750 I4
Yeah... The Duc won't pull harder than your Yamaha. Of course, it's a very different machine, but if you are looking for more power, you will be dissapointed.

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
chaos hit it on the head. Not much of a power difference. big difference in how the power is delivered though. I love v-twins tractability around corners!

·
Registered
646 Posts
chaOs said:
Yeah... The Duc won't pull harder than your Yamaha. Of course, it's a very different machine, but if you are looking for more power, you will be dissapointed.
+1

especially ducati's...bout the same amount of power if not a lil less. handling will be different though. I feel like the 748 wont be enough of a change and the 996 will be a bit much. But if can test drive for yourself, go for it.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
you won't get much of a hp gain if you go with the 748 I use to have one and love how it handled and of course the looks. On the other hand I had a series of problems with the bike w/the radiator, rear break, electrical and was kinda relieved when it was stolen.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Get the CBR. Not as exotic but a better all around street sportbike.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
scotty said:
Get the CBR. Not as exotic but a better all around street sportbike.
Don't listen to Scotty, because "Scotty Doesn't Know" :flipa

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
748's are a waste of money for a streetbike IMO. basically paying for the "ducati" name, thats it. they might handle well but they'll get beat on by any 600SS. the 916/996/998 are the only ducs id buy.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
how many miles did you put on the yzf?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts