Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have probably waited to ask this when I was closer to buying a bike, but I wanted to juggle the idea and start discussions.

I am 24; I have wanted a bike for 9 years now. I have a lot of research, book reading, and forum browsing under the belt. Also have had numerous horror stories of emergency room this, best friend this, so I want to make this decision very soberly. I will take the MSF class before I ride.

Want a bike for weekend pleasure, probably for touring the beautiful wine country of California, and eventually would like to try track, if I haven't scared myself off a bike yet. Most likely I'll be addicted.

So choices:
Suzuki SV650s
or
Kawasaki 500R.

I don't want to consider much else, but this is a forum, say what you like.
Thank you for your opinions and time. They are most appreciated.

-J

·
Registered
74 Posts
Im 16, just got my first bike as well. Ive got a 1992 kawasaki ex500. I enjoy it quite thoroughly. It has enough power for the beginning, and is pretty easy to control. I will be upgrading next year, but for the time being the ex500 is pretty damn good.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
The ex500 is one of the most-often recommended first bikes for good reason. It has reasonable power, brakes, ergos, and steering geometry. The sv650 is also not a bad choice, but some say that the low-end torque can be problematic for new riders. I started on an sv and low-speed throttle control took some time to develop. You need to learn how to slip the clutch in some low-speed situations. Fortunately, m/c clutches are in the oil bath and slipping them isn't a big deal. The sv is a bike that should keep you "satisfied" for a few years at least with tons of aftermarket parts available.

A lot also depends on your previous m/c experience. Any dirt riding? Another factor is height and weight. If you're really small or really large, some sport bikes are better than others.

Go Aggies. :lol

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've got an '03 500R and love it; it's a great bike to learn on, very forgiving but not really slow, it grows with you. Having said that, my buddy just got an SV650s, and let me ride it for a while. So, having experienced both as a begginer, i can say that although the SV looks better, and has a higher "cool factor," it's not something i would want to jump on with no experience. It feels alot different to ride, and is much less forgiving. The 500r is more comfortable, won't wheelie when you twitch your wrist, and won't scare you overall, very good first bike. Granted, i want a 600ss as much as anyone else, but i'm glad that i started where i did, less money on insurance and initial cost, and you can sell it for nearly what you bought it for.
Good luck with your decision, you'll be addicted soon enough.
Aaron

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My specs:
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 175 (all muscle, right?? :slaugh)
Motorcycle experience:
9years riding every night, in my dreams.
2 hours riding under permit with a 750 Yamaha Virago (friends cruiser style)
1 hr honda 400 cr (?? forgot model exactly, some tall dirt bike on his farm)
1 hr kawasaki 1970's cop bike (same friend, up and down his 1 mile driveway).

So I have 9 years 4 hours of experience, 4 hours of it being real. I've read Twist of the Wrist I & II, and Proficient Motorcycle Riding, so I think I am about AMA riding talent equivalent. :lol

If that helps tailor the choice. Thanks guys for the responses so far.

bump

·
Registered
218 Posts
In that case, go with a liter bike or maybe a Busa. Haha. :)
The SV might not be a terrible choice. Its deffinately doable, i rode it fine with only about 1000 miles experience. Just a little nerve racking compared to an EX500. Its really up to you, what you want to pay for, and what you want to learn with. Nothing anyone says is going to change your mind if its already made. But if you DO get the SV, just be carefull...and take pictures...because its awesome.
Aaron

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
After riding a ex500 this past weekend, and owning a SV650, I'd have to say get the 500. It has enough power to keep you entertained for a while, yet, not enough to get you in trouble (unless you're just plain dumb...lol).

The sv650 on the other hand, is just, well, too much (imo). Too much torque (a hair more than all the 600's i believe), wheelies too easy, too much brakes, etc. After having this bike for almost 2 years (my 3rd bike), I'm still not even close to being tired of it. Make it your 2nd bike if you like them.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
either way I think you would be happy. I would look into a used ex500 more so since it is going to be your first bike.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. I will probably get the 500. I don't like how it looks, but it doesn't matter how it looks when you're riding it. I'm guessing by my frame, a smaller lighter bike we'll train me to ride correctly more so than a b***** bike I can't comfortably toss. Besides, it's cheaper for when the lust for the 600 SS takes over. I love those 636s.
-J

·
Registered
5 Posts
i started riding the SV as a first bike. Now its been 7 months, and im still loving it. What someone said earlier, there is lots of torque on it, so its kinda touchy, but i caught on. and i just LOVE the vtwin, the sound and power. I would definetely recommend the SV650s, a great bike, unforgiving, and looks real nice. But the ninja 500r is also a great starter bike, even better.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ktkwong said:
i started riding the SV as a first bike. Now its been 7 months, and im still loving it. What someone said earlier, there is lots of torque on it, so its kinda touchy, but i caught on. and i just LOVE the vtwin, the sound and power. I would definetely recommend the SV650s, a great bike, unforgiving, and looks real nice. But the ninja 500r is also a great starter bike, even better.
Thanks for your response. Easy on the booze :alky

1 - 15 of 15 Posts