Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a 2004 Ninja 500R for my first bike. I had my heart set on a larger bike, but some have pointed me towards the great reading in this newbie forum on why to start small. I was thoroughly convinced.

But I have a 35 to 40 mile drive each day to work, and then back again. I was wondering if anyone could speak from experience on whether or not this bike is a good choice for a daily commuter? I know I'd rack up some miles and time on the road, which will get me closer to buying my new ZZR600 someday, but will it beat the bike up too much? Like I said, this will be my first bike, so sorry for the newbie-ness of my questions, but any help would be greatly apprecaited.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
No problem. It'll do fine on city streets, highways, and freeways for many thousands of miles. Some feel that a bike with over 10,000 miles is done. There's no reason why a bike can't go tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of miles with proper maintenance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. I was wondering what the engine life of these things runs normally. I've been babying my civic for 6 years now, and it runs strong at 220,000 (maybe it's b/c it's a Honda. maybe it's care, *shrug*

·
Registered
39 Posts
I commute on my '01 500r about 25 miles each way everyday that I can ride and it does fine. I can't speak personally for longevity but I have heard 40,000 miles is easily attainable with proper care.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
d.kerg said:
and it runs strong at 220,000 (maybe it's b/c it's a Honda. maybe it's care, *shrug*
Well, don't hold your breath for that kinda miles on a bike, but 100k miles is not unheard of.

It IS all about how you take care of it tho. If you hit the rev limiter in every gear every time you ride it, and never change the oil, it'll be lucky to make 5k miles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't plan on putting 100k on it, although it'd be a great investment if you could.

On top of how fun riding is, and how much I'd like immerse myself into it, I was looking into a motorcycle for an economical means of transportation. I loved getting 100+ mpg on the scooter, I could go to school and back 5 days a week for two bucks. I know mileage won't be that exceptional on a bike, but I'm hoping it pans out to save me money in the long run (with the constantly raising price of fuel, but that discussion isn't for here).

So with proper care, it should last a while? My only concern at this point is re-sale...I'd like to go up to a 600 in a year or two, depending on financial situations. If I rack up 20,000+ miles on it, should I plan on keeping it for myself ahead of time? Could you get that much back out of a bike with that much wear & tear?

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
you might want to look in a used ex500 to save some cash and the resale value should not drop too much over the next couple of years

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
As a comuter it should be just fine & should give very good mileage
If you don't push it & keep the oil change It should go 50-60 K miles
before a rebuild

·
Registered
498 Posts
A 500R will easily last 100K miles with regular maintenance. It's a fine daily commuter. Get a used one in good shape. 500Rs do not hold their values well compared to other bikes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I own a 05 500R and use it to ride to work almost daily when the weather is nice. Rides fine, is plenty fast enough, and gets compliments (believe it or not!)

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
as far as the mileage thing goes, as you long as you maintain you motor youll be fine. I know a guy that has a 97 TLS that he drag races on the weekends and commutes with and he has 68k miles on it, no major problems to date.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts