Sport Bikes banner

Going Sky diving next week..... Any advice?

563 views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  Gasm 
#1 ·
What's up fellow thrill seekers? Well I am going skydiving next tuesday, and I am planning on getting the video. I am going to do the Advanced Free Fall, not in to having a dood strapped my back. Anyone done it? Advice? Comments? things to try? (other than land safely on my feet... )

#4 ·
don't trust anyone who says the 'chute is okay with a small stain on it.

#5 ·
Remember to pull the cord... sometimes people freeze-up and get mesmerized by the effect of falling.

#7 ·
I did it but i had the guy on my back. I get to the airport expecting a short classroom training thing or at least the guy telling me which cord to pull incase he gets knocked unconsious but they tell me nothing. Once we suit up I ask the guy what to do, to which he responds "just go with the flow, man" haha GREEEAAAAT...then we boarded the plane.

#8 ·
Pull red first then yellow... Or is is yellow first, then red...

Seriously, it's a blast. Have fun.

#9 ·
Remember everything they teach you, cause once your out that door
it's all on you!!

really listen to radio instructions if they have any..

TRy to get a Good look at arial photos & memorize them!
I jumped some DZ (a trailer in the hills ) in northern Ca.
I was like got a pic of the Dz? uhmm, foot in gravel "pic"

needless to say i landed not in the Dz missing a fence with barb
by just a few feet close to some fast moving creek.
with giant berry turd loggs all about -yeah they have grizzlies there!
then some crackling twigs moving bushes,
thoughts of how quick will I drown in that creek opted to yell at bushes
& walk in an opposite direction.

ended up walking through some guys vinyard upto his house asking for a ride!
judging from his expression I quickly gathered others had properly interpreted the foot in the gravel arial pic!
:bitchslap

next place in Ca had arial photos "See this read box DO NOT UNDER ANY SITUATION LAND HERE!"
as we hear the rounds going off from the gun range
RIGHT next to the DZ :lao

Canada they are strict on Procedure! like you can jump naked & set it down in the pond, but floatation gear MUST BE WORN!!!!
been a few years now though.. :eek:

#12 ·
its a blast dude.. the first few thousand feet of free fall doesnt even feel like youre falling, except for the wind.. The ground doesnt seem to be getting any b*****, so you just stare at it and enjoy it. But once you get below 1500 feet or so, the ground literally JUMPS at you.. keep an eye on your altimiter.. Free fall is awesome, but only lasts for a few seconds.. The best part (I think) is once the chute opens (be ready, its a JOLT when that baby pops) its so quiet, and calm.. do some turns.. the longer you pull a cord, the faster you will spin, and its a blast..

#13 ·
Punkwood2k said:
its a blast dude.. the first few thousand feet of free fall doesnt even feel like youre falling, except for the wind.. The ground doesnt seem to be getting any b*****, so you just stare at it and enjoy it...
Really? I'm surprised by that. Never done it myself... afraid of heights and even less fond of falling. I figured it would be like those freefall rides at amusement parks, only longer. You KNOW you're falling on those, and I don't really enjoy that feeling.

#14 ·
Yea, I am really looking forward to it. Punkwood, That's what I hear, quiet, and peaceful. I also heard that while you are falling, you typically don't remember much of it, because of sensory overload. Like a car wreck... did you experance this?

I am doing Accelerated Free Fall. I don't care about having the guy strapped to my back, but honestly, if I am going to do something... I want to do it... I mean come on..

When I get back.. I will post video, and pictures. Thanks for the advice..

#17 ·
you will be jumping with 2 guys "holding" onto you. make sure u remember what their signals are etc. once you pull your cord, don't be in such a hurry to grab your toggles. If u feel abit bungied up around your "boys" fix yourself first then when ready reach for your toggles. once you grab them u don't want to let them go cause they are a bitch to reach again. not sure if u will be wearing a one-way radio, but listen to the ground guy and have fun. Make sure u see the wind sock and understand which direction to land into.
if your goggles fog up reach up and remove them or let them air out, don't try to land with fogged goggles. after u are under chute they are no big deal.
if u pass over any concrete at lower altitudes be prepared for upward turbulance from the heat rising. make sure u have plenty of landing room and land straight, no turns. don't be afraid to bannanna roll or not land on your feet. It's tough to get the landing just right and be able to run it out, takes practice, chances are u will flare too soon and u will be "reaching" for the ground and land hard. have fun.
I took about a dozen jumps then had to quit for awhile. wanting to get back into it in the fall again.

#18 ·
dude you're so gonna be hooked....

#20 ·
Krazy Hawaiian said:
^^^ only if ya dont "bounce" :eek:nfloor
:urowned :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor

#23 ·
ASharpMind said:
I assume you will be doing a Tandem? LOL
I am going to do the Advanced Free Fall, not in to having a dood strapped my back.

ASSUME = makes an ASS outa U and ME

just poking at ya man:)

later

#26 ·
hope you liked it.. I went tandem my first time.. from 14000 ft. had almost 65sec. of freefall... it was awesome! My wife and I both went. We also forked out the extra dough to get still photos and videos taken. We are now hooked and will be going to classes soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.