Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's up y'all.

I wear an Arai Quantum/f. I wear contacts. (-8.5L, -7.5R)

This mix is really annoying. Since my helmet is highly ventilated (necessity in TX), I get a lot of air flow over my face drying these disposable suckers out. Seems to be a lot worse at night...

...but I'm a gym rat, and keep well hydrated at all times, so that can't be the issue. Anybody have good methods to deal with contacts going dry?

I keep some Disposable Tears (great product) in my jacket pocket so it's always with me, and am getting LASIK surgery for Christmas. More than that I don't know. Maybe my shield isn't fitting right or something.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
that's what my bf does, he just wears his glasses. Only time he wears his contacts are at the track or long distance rides. close your vents on your helmet, that might help.. keep maybe one open

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
my eye doc told me of a new eye contact lube stuff that has some type of oil that is supposed to prevent that. i wear contacts too, and i'm forever having issues w/them at night...

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
same here even have the same helmet but actually when I wear my HJC--that's when I get much more wind in my eyes. The Arai is much less. I just always take eye drops too and in riding in the day..I wear sunglassess and that helps cut down the air flow to my eyes considerably.

silent--do you happen to have the name of the that eye lube stuff? Have you tried it yet and if so what are your thoughts on it?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
the eye-lube is called "K-Y" and must be applied anally for maximum effectiveness..

·
Registered
247 Posts
KatanaMike said:
the eye-lube is called "K-Y" and must be applied anally for maximum effectiveness..
BWAHAHAHA!!

RSixxy....need any help testing? :bananafu:

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I have contacts, but I hardley leave the neighborhood so wind doesn't get inside my helmet

·
Registered
489 Posts
I wear contacts as well and I don't normally have problems with wind. I wear a Shoei RF1000 with all the vents open. It stays cool enough despite my near-afro, but as long as I have the shield closed I don't have problems with the contacts normally. It probably has to do with where the vents are aimed. I agree that glasses might be your best bet until Christmas. However, I will say that I will never wear glasses on the bike because of the loss of peripheral vision. I don't even really like driving with glasses.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What those numbers in my post meant was that I'm way past legally blind. About a foot in front of my face is all i can see.

So with my glasses, I would have to be constantly moving my head to get glimpses...just too much to think about. Not an option.

Looks like either sunglasses (under my smoked shield) or Eyeball Lube. Artificial Tears is the product of choice right now...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used to work for an optometrist and the best stuff I found for contacts is by a brand called "Refresh" and its their contact formula, great stuff. Did you realize though that even with the Lasik, you may (at your age) only have about 15-20 years without vision correction? Eventually you will have to have bifocals in your 40's or shortly after because the muscles just wear out and can't focus anymore, even if you vision was perfect, everyone will need bifocals at some point.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I wear contacts but I never have problems myself w/dry contacts for whatever reason but I do wear sunglasses in the day time so you might want to give them a shot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Shoei Z-II and find that using the chin-curtain cuts down on the airflow coming up through the chinbar which is what was drying my contacts. I leave all vents open (gets over 100 here too) and dont have any issues wth my contacts now.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Close the eyebrow vents and use your chin spoiler. I know that this isn't preferable, but it'll pretty much alleviate the problem with your contacts drying out (At least to the point where blinking will be able to keep up with the wind drying your contacts.

·
Registered
605 Posts
No problems here, i wear contacts 18 hours a day, even use the 1 month disposables for up to 4 months, even with just safety glasses on i dont have a problem, i wear Acuvue 2's, which are suppose to not dry your eyes out. PS, your BLIND....My contacts are -2.5 and without them all I see is outlines of objects, with your eyes id be scared of getting locked in a closet

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Never had a problem with the contact drying out. May be the helmet? :dunno I had a Shoei-RF900 and never once had a problem

Yea you are blind..-8.5 wow..i thought my -3.0 was bad

Here...let me make it b***** for you.

Yea you are blind..-8.5 wow..i thought my -3.0 was bad

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
P.S. to you smart alecky internet b*tches.

When I find out where I put my glasses ima smack the crap outta y'all. Since with the contacts i have 20/10 vision, I'm not complaining. As long as I'm not as drunk as I am in my avatar, it's not a problem. Maybe it's the helmet...

Of course, I shouldn't get defensive. My crappy vision, like my enormous member, is just a dice roll of genetics. As I don't brag about my prodigious meat saber, I shouldn't worry about my lack of uncorrected vision. Where the Lord taketh away, the Lord doth give.

So nibble my damn dingleberries, you eagle-eyed haters.

:flipa

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
yeah the acuview 2's have some type of oil in them to help, (it doesn't go away completely, but it helps) and the tears are Refresh (thank you who ever posted that part, it helped jog my memory) and they also have the oil type stuff in them. call your optomitrist (sp?) and ask about it, it does help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts