Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
I am using a Hero3 Black and a Hero3 White. I like pretty much everything about them. Only minor complaint would be battery life. However, batteries are cheap so that isn't really a big deal.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I've got a Hero3 Silver. Also have a spare battery, and the LCD backpack. I like that it has a real waterproof case that I can take SCUBA diving with me. Does a decent job underwater with an auxiliary light. You lose all the reds without one (see photo below)

No complaints from me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a HD, HD2, and recently picked up the HD3 black + . I like them all and use them frequently. I have the wifi bacpac and remote for the HD2 and of course the 3 comes with wifi built in and a remote with the black edition! I am still using my homemade pole mount and I recently picked up the clamp mount for those rear facing shots! Please excuse the unsightly garage; lol!

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I get about 2 hours worth of use out of a battery. That was good for 2 dives. I haven't used it on the bike yet since I haven't been to the track all year. The Hero 3 silver is basically the GoPro HD2 in a smaller package.

Also, SENA is coming out with a bluetooth system for the GoPro so that you can control it if you have a bluetooth intercom system in your helmet.

Sena Bluetooth Pack for GoPro®

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I don't use GoPro, although they have the market so cornered that most people don't even know that there is another camera company. Two, if you consider the now shut down Contour.

I use a modded for external mic Drift HD720 and a Drift HD1080. Next year I'll be picking up their new model, a Drift HD Ghost-S. The 720 will then be regulated to a 3rd rider (usually my father) or a more dangerous camera mount area ie., swingarm etc.

I like the black tubular design better than the 'mini camera', and I'm already hip deep in batteries and Drift accessories, so I'm just sticking with this brand. (It's quite comparable to a GoPro.)

Short snip of the VFR getting on. I will say that I like the audio on my videos more than 99% of others out there. No wind noise or crackling.

2005 Honda VFR 800 'Aural Ecstasy' Two Brothers Exhaust - YouTube

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Go Pro HD with Battery BacPac and 32GB sd card,x4.Lcd BacPac also.
Front and rear mount on helmet,stem mount with view through windscreen and extended off of left rear cowl mounting bolt,underneath,to the left of the Tail Tidy mounted license plate.
Four hour record time.
I've also collected a work boot sized box of mounts,joints and etc.
I'm told the next generation is the one to upgrade to.We'll see.

Tried mounting four cameras on helmet for a week.Mounts were lower than the front and rear camera,which put a lot of strain on the neck with them that far from the center line.With 170 degree field of view,they're necessary.The front and rear mounted ones are unnoticeable by either weight or wind resistance.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I took advantage if Black Friday and got the hero black from Best Buy for $249.00+$17.00 for a 32 gig memory card. Sams Club has the silver for $224.00 but I wanted the remote so I spent the extra $24.00.

So, any suggestions on where to mount on the bike/helmet (and which mount to use) will be very useful.

And is the iPhone app worth downloading? Like, will I be able to view to vids on my phone as soon as they're recorded? Or do any editing with my phone?

Feel free to offer any advice as it is all appreciated. :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Buy the suction cup mount, it will allow you to experiment without having to use the mount and sticking it to your bike. Also buy the side mount and the lanyards. I like to mount mine lower on the fairing and on the gas tank. I also mount it under the rear fender pointing backwards.

Also, here is where I put my remote. I use the velcro plus a zip tie.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the suction cup mount. I had mine fall off on the highway when I had the original HD.

I have a mount on my tank for when I go to the track.

I also used a sticky mount on the top of my windscreen when I had the SV. I really like this view.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not a huge fan of the suction cup mount. I had mine fall off on the highway when I had the original HD.

I have a mount on my tank for when I go to the track.
Do you use the Velcro with this mount placement?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I use the suction cup for damn near everything. It mounts on the tank of my bike well. Pretty much how arctic had his. I also use the headmount for POV stuff. I don't have any videos worth sharing though. The model I have is Hero3 Black. I LOVE the wifi feature that allows me to use the GoPro app. Then I don't need the LED backpack or remote. I can see and control from my phone. The battery life seems really short though.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Suction cup mount test to 140mph in the wind. (On the, er, autobahn, of course.) When I don't use the suction cup mount if for the helmet view which is the sticky velcro sort. That I don't like quite as much, due to the view of the road and a high propensity for falling off, thus I safety wired it, for if that ever happens.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've had my bike doing over 180MPH with the suction cup positioned on the side of the fairing and never had a problem! A few weeks ago a buddy of mine went down on his bike when it went off road into some thick soft dirt! He was ejected over the handle bars and the bike flipped a few times! He was using one of my GoPros and suction mount, while the suction cup arm broke (big surprise) the suction part was still holding strong on the bike! He was okay and the bike was rideable.
He was fortunate that it went down in the thick soft dirt, scratched but no broken or cracked plastics and a broken right mirror!

Oh and in case you are wondering he didn't have the camera recording, we had just left the gas station and was just resuming our ride!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Suction cup mount test to 140mph in the wind. (On there, er, the autobahn, of course.) When I don't use the suction cup mount if for the helmet view which is the sticky velcro sort. That I don't like quite as much, due to the view of the road and a high propensity for falling off, thus I safety wired it, for if that ever happens.
I tested mine a little over 140 mph (on the autobahn as well, honest). I had it on the side of the bike as pictured in one of my previous posts. It held strong.

I'm by no means saying it could never fall off but it has worked great for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts