Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no seriously, livestock prices have gone absolutely apeshit.

STEER CALVES
FUNK LIVESTOCK HINSDALE 8 MXD-STCLF 306 $440.00 /Cwt
JOSH HEDRICK BILLINGS 1 BK-STCLF 306 $420.00 /Cwt
JENNIFER CERRONI LOVELL 4 BK-STCLF 383 $420.00 /Cwt
POCOS RANCH LLC POMPEYS PILLAR 4 BKBWF-STCLF 268 $420.00 /Cwt
BRIDGER T CATTLE CO MELSTONE 6 BK-STCLF 321 $417.50 /Cwt
GEORGE OR SHERI DORN JR BILLINGS 2 BK-STCLF 351 $415.00 /Cwt
FUNK LIVESTOCK HINSDALE 26 MXD-STCLF 386 $413.00 /Cwt
TONY LEE STARK BIG HORN 2 BK-STCLF 383 $412.50 /Cwt
Welcome to BLS - CURRENT MARKET REPORT

these are not some specially hand fed by virgin mothers, only the purest organic marketing bullshit calves. these are just calves sold at the Billings general auction.

but they are being sold for over 400$ per hundred weight.

That is over 4 dollars a pound, or ~9 dollars a kilo. and these are on the hoof prices.

not dressed carcases, not hanging weight (generally you loose 40-50% of the animals hoof weight in processing before you get to hanging weight). nothing special and they are going for over 4 dollars a pound.
(steer calves are not generally butchered right away, they are sold to feedlots for finishing)

steer prices were slightly more sane.

STEERS
STEVE CHARTER SHEPHERD 23 MXD-STR 725 $252.00 /Cwt
LEROY BALLARD CARDWELL 6 BK-STR 751 $249.00 /Cwt
STEVE CHARTER SHEPHERD 12 MXD-STR 871 $240.00 /Cwt
DRAPER RANCH CO. RED LODGE 11 BK-STR 946 $233.00 /Cwt
but still before these become pretty little wrapped packages in a store they loose half their weight. So these steers will be at least 5 dollars a pound hanging weight (more ones you pay for processing). Then they need to be transported, cut, and wrapped.

I expect beef prices to go full stupid for you general consumers unless this is just a quick panic bubble that is about to burst.

(full discosure: I haven't bought beef at a store... ever that I can remember. But this is a dramatic increase from what I am used to seeing calves go for at auction.)

any way I recommend getting some deer tags and a chopping block if you want to eat meat without it costing an arm and a leg. Or start raising your own/ buying sides meet direct from farmer, whatever. but these prices are just silly.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I wouldn't mind learning to hunt, but I'm not sure I'd be particularly good with gutting/skinning. I do OKAY with gore, but my gag reflex sucks. I'd have to pay someone to process it which would probably offset the cost of store bought (after ammo, gas, tags, etc) even if the meat would actually be better.

I've been eyeing grass fed beef straight from the ranch. Looks like you can get a quarter of a cow for about 8-11 bucks/lb. ~$1000 for 100 lbs of really good eating. Prices in the stores are about 8/lb for the good cuts, 6/lb for lower cuts and that's the mass processed beef. Problem is I don't currently have space for 100 lbs of beef, but once I move my fridge might be going in the garage for beer/meat/whatever.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Gutting a deer isn't so bad unless you pop the stomach. That shit sucks. Buying a quarter or half a cow is a great deal if you have the freezer space. We still have steaks from a half cow we bought almost a year ago

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
Stalking animals is a blast. Killing and gutting them isn't as much fun, so it's been many years since I did it. The price of beef won't have much effect on what we eat or what it costs, since we rarely eat beef.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
I do love some venison but don't really enjoy hunting them. Duck is much more fun.

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
Of course, my absolutist opinion is that if you haven't killed an animal and cleaned and dressed the carcass, you probably shouldn't eat meat. But that's just my absolutist opinion. Others are fine thinking meat comes in a white Styrofoam tray, all nicely wrapped in saran wrap. They are wrong, but it's a free country. You are allowed to be wrong.

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
Careful on the grass fed beef. It tastes way different than grain fed! I bought a couple pounds at my local locker once. None of us enjoyed it and it was around $9.00 per lb for ground.

Hunting deer is a grand tradition I enjoy and intend on passing down to my son, but in reality, it is far more expensive than purchasing prepared beef. Consider the price of the licensing, any fuel to get to and from the hunt, firearms, ammo, hunting gear, processing equipment, etc...it is easily more expensive than buying from your local grocer. I don't remember where the tipping point is but I know that none of us tell our old ladies how much hunting a deer really adds up to. I suspect they know and are just happy to have us out in the timber and out of their hair.

The best beef I have found is fresh from a farmers slaughter...errrr gentle culling (grain fed).

·
AKA Mark S.
5,987 Posts
Of course, my absolutist opinion is that if you haven't killed an animal and cleaned and dressed the carcass, you probably shouldn't eat meat. But that's just my absolutist opinion. Others are fine thinking meat comes in a white Styrofoam tray, all nicely wrapped in saran wrap. They are wrong, but it's a free country. You are allowed to be wrong.
Well then the same should go for veggies, plant grow and harvest, I sure hope your not browsing, bagging paying and bringing them home.

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
Well then the same should go for veggies, plant grow and harvest, I sure hope your not browsing, bagging paying and bringing them home.
Vegetables aren't as messy to grow and harvest, but yes, I have grown all kinds of things and we grow a garden in the back yard.

My point is there's a big difference between picking an ear of corn and killing and dressing an animal. Most of the nation doesn't comprehend it very well. Silly comments aside, I think it is unfortunate that most Americans don't seem to understand that meat comes from somewhere other than a meat tray. You don't go up to a cow and pick a hamburger like you can go up to a tomato vine and pick a tomato.

Growing vegetables is something everyone should do at least once, and likewise, killing and dressing and animal is something everyone should do at least once, so there's an understanding of what it's all about. You don't have to hunt every animal you eat, nor do you have to grow every plant.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Vegetables aren't as messy to grow and harvest, but yes, I have grown all kinds of things and we grow a garden in the back yard.

My point is there's a big difference between picking an ear of corn and killing and dressing an animal. Most of the nation doesn't comprehend it very well. Silly comments aside, I think it is unfortunate that most Americans don't seem to understand that meat comes from somewhere other than a meat tray. You don't go up to a cow and pick a hamburger like you can go up to a tomato vine and pick a tomato.

Growing vegetables is something everyone should do at least once, and likewise, killing and dressing and animal is something everyone should do at least once, so there's an understanding of what it's all about. You don't have to hunt every animal you eat, nor do you have to grow every plant.
Most of the nation doesn't live in the sticks, have access to hunting grounds, or have space to grow a garden.

I'll buy the grass fed organic beef from Trader Joe's once in awhile, and I love the taste of it. It's just much more expensive from the store than from the farm so I don't get it as often as I'd like to.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
I used to raise cattle. Not many but a nice little herd. Started it with six heifers in 1980 that I bought for $1200.00. Total for all six. Wish I still had cattle today.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

while i do have a lot of sympathy for this position, my years in college have changed my position some what.

most people these days grew up playing video games and watching t.v. so they have become hypersensitized.

they become physically ill if you exspoce them to food production. It isn't their fault, they spend their time watching "The Walking Dead" and playing "Gears of War". so they have just never been exspoced to where food comes from.

I once had some cousins of mine help with preparing compost for the garden, one threw up (which probably is a fine addition to a compost pile, but still).

The one time i had a cousin help me with butchering a deer, he damb neer fainted. and this was after i had gutted, skinned, and quartered it.

So while i think people should acknolege where their food comes from, asking them to actually turn compost/butcher meat/ ect. is asking to much.

however if you are willing to, doing your own butchering/baking/ ect. does save you a shit ton of money.

ohh, and dvelt if that is how much you pay for beef, i think i have mave my answer for why beef prices here have gone up so much.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
It was expected that beef was going to go up this year due to the drought the midwest had the year before. I wanna say it's like 7.99-8.99/lb for a ribeye or new york, 4.99-5.99 lb for ground, think i saw tritips going for 6.99/lb the other day surprisingly. That's for the regular mass produced beef. Plus I'm in California, everything is expensive.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
My hunting varies from stalking deer in the bush for 3 days, to driving through the field and shooting out of a moving truck with 3 other people doing the same.

No, I'm not kidding. we're pretty hick.

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
while i do have a lot of sympathy for this position, my years in college have changed my position some what.

most people these days grew up playing video games and watching t.v. so they have become hypersensitized.

they become physically ill if you exspoce them to food production. It isn't their fault, they spend their time watching "The Walking Dead" and playing "Gears of War". so they have just never been exspoced to where food comes from.

I once had some cousins of mine help with preparing compost for the garden, one threw up (which probably is a fine addition to a compost pile, but still).

The one time i had a cousin help me with butchering a deer, he damb neer fainted. and this was after i had gutted, skinned, and quartered it.

So while i think people should acknolege where their food comes from, asking them to actually turn compost/butcher meat/ ect. is asking to much.

however if you are willing to, doing your own butchering/baking/ ect. does save you a shit ton of money.

ohh, and dvelt if that is how much you pay for beef, i think i have mave my answer for why beef prices here have gone up so much.
You seem to be generated from inferior genetics.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Almost certainly. When Europe was running its great eugenics experiment of breading the best and most successful humans from each of its peoples together, commonly know as European history until WWI, my ancestors were entirely in the rejects pile.

most of my ancestry were starving to death in peasant villages, low life thugs in border villages, traitorous bastards running to escape the noose, or minorities fleeing the gas chamber.

hence why i am the well balanced, intelligent, and successful kid i am, unlike the winners of the eugenics competition who all turned out as batshit insane, hemophiliac, retarded, brats, who killed 20 million people in a temper tantrum.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Getting ready. Hoarding, whatever you want to call it.
There are lot of people that feel as I do about Ebola. You prepare now, or you don't prepare at all.
The MSM meme is "Panic". That is bogus, of course. Do you have insurance on your vehicle? Is that panic or preparation? Do you wear a seat belt? Panic or preparation?
This is a motorcycle forum even in the political, religious weeds here in the back of the lot. Do you wear a helmet? Panic or prevention? Boots, gloves, jacket? Is ATGATT panic?

No, the politicians are in a panic. That is because their buds, the Billionaires that 'fund' them are in a panic. Just because they are crooks doesn't mean they are stupid. They understand what Ebola will do to the economy. The Billionaires are panicked by the thought of becoming millionaires. If a few million Americans die of Ebola, they don't care.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
No American city has more then 3 days of food in the grocery stores. Urban types only eat because the trucks keep coming. Stop the trucks and 50% of America stops eating.
This will create social change. Not the sort the left wants.

Reactions: bumblebee

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
We don't hunt for sport. That is what clay birds are for. We eat what we hunt. Last year, daughter #2, my 13 yo, killed and processed 2 deer. She gutted them in the field. I helped her hang them and she skinned and quartered them herself. She learned quickly how to cut the backstrap first. We have steaks, roasts, sausage and burger from hers and the others we killed during the season in the freezer. We are also blessed with a large population of feral hogs in our area. Both of my daughters know how to take, clean and process fur and fowl for food. Daughter # 1 can put an edge on a knife as good or better than factory. She also knows how to use them too.

In barely 1 generation, Americans have lost almost all their survival skills. How many of you can process meat, milk a cow or goat, separate cream, make cheese or yogurt or process grain to bake bread?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts