Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went for about a hour and a half ride today and about half way through my route in the country my hand went completly numb. I couldnt even wrap my hand around the throttle. Needless to say I had to stop in someones drive way and let the blood flow back into my hand in order to make it home. I am thinking that the gloves I have do not have enuff padding in them. I was wondering if someone could recomend a brand of riding glove that is good quality and might give me a little bit longer till my hand goes numb?

Your input will help me out a lot. Thanx

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I had the same problem and I am going to get flamed for this but the Icon holigan gloves are very padded. Some people have had them fall apart. I personaly have not had a problem with them. But they did work for me in that sence. There might be outher with comparable padding but I dont know what one.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I went throught the same scenario when I started riding. Got gloves with more padding and it helped some. What really helped was NOT having a death grip on the bars. Also, use your body to support your weight so that you aren't putting any pressure on the bars either. Focus on a light touch and not only will your hands not get numb, but steering inputs will be much more precise and smoother. Every so often "flap" your elbows a few times. That will loosen your grip and remind you to be light on the bars. HTH

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I had the same problem but mine was due to putting to much weight and force on my hands, I changed how I grip the bars and it seems to have helped.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the advise not to have a death grip on the bars. I try not to have a death grip on them but after a while of riding I will do it with out realizing it. I will try losen my grip and try the elbow flap and see if it makes a difference. If I am still numb I will look into possibly getting some new gloves.

But if you have any advise on gloves it will be appreciated. I am also not to happy with my gloves now. The thumbs are getting worn out pretty good on them and probally will replace them anyways in winter.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You ride a Buell...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Silver350 said:
Yes I do........

Stupid ten character rule set on this forum *mutters*
Nothing wrong with that, not trying to bash the bike. But it's a v-twin powered sport bike. My old RC51 put my hands to sleep before an entire tank and it has a pretty smooth engine comparatively. Heck, my XX will put my right hand to sleep after a while and it has one of the smoothest motorcycle engines ever produced.

Heavier bar ends and thicker gel or foam grips will help, but I don't think they'll eliminate the numbness.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put on about another 50 some miles 25mi of straight riding. I losen my grip and my hand didnt go numb. Once I hit the city with all the crappy roads I got a slight tingling feeling in my hand but it wasn't as bad as what it was before. So it looks like I will probally make my glove last for another riding season.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
alpinestars makes good padded gloves...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts