Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Gianticus Squidicus
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Helping a guy from work with his 'Wing. Alternator wasn't charging so I took it out and cleaned it good after inspecting the brushes. Today I went over and was putting the alternator back in and I told the dude to disconnect the battery and I get the alternator in place. As I was hooking up the main wiring harness to the alternator I got zapped. Turned out the guy didn't completely unhook the battery and when he leaned on other side the bikes posi wire made contact. Spark show at the alternator and my hand. I should have checked the battery myself I know.

Now the bike gets good power, but the solenoid clicks once and it won't crank. What the first thing that would've fried? I'm guessing the solenoid as the 55 amp fuse melted.

Just looking for opinions before I get a new solenoid. The solenoid has continuity between the blades on the fuse block (down stream of switch side), but none on the posts. I don't know shit about solenoids but there should be "some" kind of continuity unless it needs to be energized?

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I think the alternator is in the same area as the starter and starter clutch. If the solenoid is clicking but the starter isn't turning, it might not be the starter or the solenoid. Could be when you put the alternator back in and put on the cover, something got out of alignment with the starter and starter clutch gearing and the starter is bound up. I'd check that first because if it is bound up you can really have a first class cock up about to happen. I know as this just happened with a CBR F2 for me, and the gear sheared off part of the stator cover and the engine case.

If all the gears look OK and the starter is meshed with the starter clutch OK, then once the cover is back on you can bypass the solenoid by connecting the starter directly to the positive terminal of the battery. You have to use a very heavy gauge wire to do this and know that as soon as you do, the starter will fire and turn the engine over (so be in neutral). If the starter runs with this, then chances are the solenoid is bad and you just replace it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts