Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Wildcat Fanatic
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals. I just received my Givi FZ351 topcase mount for my FZ6 and was looking through the installation instructions (if you want to call them that) and I was wondering if anyone that's done this install could help me out. I didn't realize it incurred removing most of the rear body work (though that's not a problem). I'm just wondering if there are any pitfalls that I should look out for before, during, or after the installation? Help me out, if you can. Thanks!

·
jess wanna ryd
315 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
The main advice is that you do NOT have to remove the muffler covers. You can fit the bracketry into the ends of the subframe with the muffler covers still in place. (Eventually, I purchased an impact wrench and finally loosened that big bolt, just as a matter of principle, but it wasn't necessary.)

It may seem like a lot of parts, but the process is relatively straight-forward and doesn't take that long.

·
Registered
127 Posts
CCHOUSEKY,

I recently completed installing an FZ351 mount on my '07 F6. With my '07, at least, I found it easier to remove the muffler heat shields. They were slightly in the way when driving the parts into the ends of the bike's frame with a mallet. If you decide to remove yours, definitely have an impact driver on hand.

You can do most of the install yourself, but I found it very helpful to have an extra set of hands when dealing with the mount's connection points under the exhaust. Those bolts are hard to get to without someone pulling up on the heat shields.

Also, on the right arm on mine, the mounting hole at its front end (which attaches to the underside of the bike) did not match up with that of the bike's. It was off by just enough where it was just not going to work. Rather than dealing with a return and the chance of getting a 2nd bar with the same problem, I just used a Dremel tool and turned the hole on the bar into a slot instead, and used a good-sized washer on that bolt to distribute the load a little better and hold the bar in place. It's doing fine and is under the bike, so you don't notice it. I didn't like the shiny socket head Givi bolts on the part of the mount that wraps around the heat shields. All that nice black, and shiny bolts there really stood out. I replaced those with regular steel and will keep an eye on them for rust.

After the FZ351 install, disassembling a V46 to get the lid painted and to insert retro-reflective tape behind the "reflectors", installing a brake light kit and an interior light kit, I'm getting good with Givi's instructions!

Good luck with your install! It is a really sturdy and good-looking mount.

Laura

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am waiting on my Givi FZ351 and V46, do you think I am going to have a problem with fitting when aftermarket Scorpion pipes & FE have been installed?

·
Wildcat Fanatic
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the Givi toprack is FINALLY installed! Thank you guys and gals so much for all the help and pictures. Laura, I ran into the same problem with the holes not matching up but with a little elbow grease was able to make it work without bending or tearing anything up! :banana This forum never ceases to amaze me with the helpfulness of it's members. Again, thank you for everything!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts