Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a site or anything with beter instructions than these pictures that came from givi? I'm pretty lost; I guess they figure guys never read instructions :lao

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Instructions are just the manufacturer's suggestion on how to do something.

A roll of duct tape and a hammer should have you up and going in no time!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kevbelz said:
I am still waiting on delivery of my V46 in cerulean silver... Did you get the colormatched? and does it match.
I didn't get the right silver (oops) but am going to buy the matching panel, let me know how close the match is?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
04Fizzer said:
Instructions are just the manufacturer's suggestion on how to do something.

A roll of duct tape and a hammer should have you up and going in no time!
Gosh you sound like the man unit; no wonder everything breaks around here :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
109 Posts
fizzygrrl said:
I didn't get the right silver (oops) but am going to buy the matching panel, let me know how close the match is?
I'll let you know 20 minutes before the rest of the board hears. Should be within the next few days. The GIVIUSA guys are anxious to hear as well, they are not sure it matches.

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
fizzygrrl said:
Does anyone have a site or anything with beter instructions than these pictures that came from givi? I'm pretty lost; I guess they figure guys never read instructions :lao
I took a bunch of pictures of myTop case intall. Depending on what you are installing, let me know and I can post them...

·
Registered
109 Posts
dparadis said:
I took a bunch of pictures of myTop case intall. Depending on what you are installing, let me know and I can post them...
I would love to see any install pics you are willing to share. It will make my install quicker.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
fizzygrrl said:
Gosh you sound like the man unit; no wonder everything breaks around here :eek:nfloor
I actually used duct tape to hold a bolt in on my volkswagen (the old one broke off somehow, and the alternator wasn't sitting right. A new bolt, some small wire, and a little duct tape and I was good to go). I was a broke high school student and had to resort to what I had on hand.

vise grips used to be my best friend too, but I have since increased my tool collection to the point where I rarely have to use them. Besides, all vise grips are good for is stripping the heads on the bolts you're trying to get out.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The instructions are translated from Italian...and not very well. I've installed Givi racks on 4 different bikes. They are terrible instructions at best. I don't even use them anymore, I just look at the pictures. LOL

Good luck!

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
OK! Here it goes..

I am usually pretty handy but almost gave the installation back to the dealer... So maybe this can help someone else.

To me, the intimidation came from having to remove the plastic and stuff!
So this is where I start off.

Once the plastic is removed, the instructions call for the removal of the cowling on the muffler. I found I didn't have to do that.

On picture 5, remove the plastic plugs from the tubes and then insert narrow end first then tube and screw. Tighten screw until inserts do not move and remove screw.

You are then ready to intall the hardware...

Attachments

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
...continued...

Only 2 more pictures.

It took me about an hour to install the screws and bolts on the bottom of the hardware. I guess by then, I'd had it with the pictures...

The rest is pretty easy.

Good luck!

P.S. You might want to identify the screws you take out so you know where to put them back...

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
The brake light installation is very simple. Find a socket that is about the same size, slightly smaller than the hole in the underside of the mounting plate. Then carefully, smack the socket with a hammer and break out the knockout hole.

Thread the contact and wire through the hole, snap contact into hole. Now thread the wire up under the seat, through bodywork and tap into (with supplied solderless splice) into your BRAKE light, NOT your tail light. It doesn't matter + or -, there is no polarity issue here.

The brake light wire is easy to find with a $3 continuity tester, just follow the wires back to your tail/brake light circuit, turn ignition on, press or squeeze brake lever and start poking wires until you find one that lights up. You do NOT, I repeat do NOT want to wire the Givi's box into your tail light circuit. It will overheat the light and cause damage to the light & possibly box.

The light is actually the easiest part of the whole installation.

Here is what an E52 top case looks like mounted to my FJR with brake light on.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Huston we have a problem!

I have the v46 so the brake light is not pre-installed and it looks like I am missing some directions. There are two ways to mount this system, one with the wires directly wired making it so you can not take the case off, and the other using contacts. I have no instructions for the contacts and I don't even know what parts are which. Can anyone post the directions for wiring the contacts from the bike to the wrack? Pictures would be amazing, I am totally lost and don't have any special tools to figure out what wire is which. I have the directions for putting the lights in the case and the contact to the bottom of the case.

·
Registered
157 Posts
MrVvrroomm said:
You do NOT, I repeat do NOT want to wire the Givi's box into your tail light circuit. It will overheat the light and cause damage to the light & possibly box.
connecting the wire using GIVIs light wiring will work if you splice it in after the taillight plug in the side panel correct?

I'm curious because I plan on making the wiring able to quick disconnect. similar to the trunk.
Occasionally i take the rack park off and ride around.

nice FJR.

Those fender bolts suck...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, I have a couple questions. What does the contact look like? are there two brake wires, or will it mean that the top wrack will be my only brake like? were do I find a continuity tester? I could really use a picture of the wrack, sans case, from the top so I know what it should look like in the end. Thank you so much for writing this out for me, I really appreciate it.

MrVvrroomm said:
The brake light installation is very simple. Find a socket that is about the same size, slightly smaller than the hole in the underside of the mounting plate. Then carefully, smack the socket with a hammer and break out the knockout hole.

Thread the contact and wire through the hole, snap contact into hole. Now thread the wire up under the seat, through bodywork and tap into (with supplied solderless splice) into your BRAKE light, NOT your tail light. It doesn't matter + or -, there is no polarity issue here.

The brake light wire is easy to find with a $3 continuity tester, just follow the wires back to your tail/brake light circuit, turn ignition on, press or squeeze brake lever and start poking wires until you find one that lights up. You do NOT, I repeat do NOT want to wire the Givi's box into your tail light circuit. It will overheat the light and cause damage to the light & possibly box.

The light is actually the easiest part of the whole installation.

Here is what an E52 top case looks like mounted to my FJR with brake light on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow-awesome thread.

As I posted earlier, I am getting the V46 (without light, but maybe will change my mind later) colormatched in cerulean silver (supposedly). These instructs/pics should help immensely. I will take even more pics, hopefully the color will match perfectly, although I am thinking a black case would flow better considering the top of the fairing is black. If the color isn't a match, givi has agreed to exchange the colorplate with any other color without a restocking fee, since I am testing it for them.

Also- I am lucky, my bike is at my best buddies house in colorado, he is a my salesman, and he has the GIVI V46 on his SV1000. I haven't ridden my bike (or seen it in person) yet. He is taking good care of it, breaking it in properly.
Thanks again. more pics to come - on or around 6/28...

·
Registered
676 Posts
kevbelz said:
As I posted earlier, I am getting the V46 (without light, but maybe will change my mind later) colormatched in cerulean silver (supposedly). hopefully the color will match perfectly, although I am thinking a black case would flow better considering the top of the fairing is black. If the color isn't a match, givi has agreed to exchange the colorplate with any other color without a restocking fee, since I am testing it for them.
The color match for the Cerulean Silver is perfect. I've got a couple of buddies that have them on their FJR's in the same color and it's perfect.

I just went with the matte black finish because it seems more durable and forgiving. I also can put it on another bike and it won't clash.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Just ordered a flat black E360N (a friend showed me that the Shoei will fit, on its side) and mounting hardware. Should be here in 1-2 weeks. I don't take pillions (after an near drop with a guy who outweighed me by 40 lbs) so I'm just as happy to have the bag on the pillion area. I might be asking some questions about messing with the mounting scheme later.

Thanks for all the pictures, they will really help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts