Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i did my dutiful search of the forum and turned up sporadic pics of different givi luggage. there are a lot threads about mounting them and the problems that seem to be inherent there.

so here is my situation. i want to start touring more with my girlfriend. i have a set of soft luggage, but it all mounts over the passenger seat. so i want to get some hard luggage so that we both can travel comfortably with enough space to bring what we need.

so please post up pics with your hard luggage on the bike and post what size they are, because i don't want humongous luggage. i've been looking at the givi v35 (i think that is what it is called) with some sort of topcase. i also need to know if passengers can ride comfortably with the luggage that you have.

any givi alternatives are more than welcome as well.

please discuss away.
:cheers

·
Wildcat Fanatic
1,519 Posts
I've got the V46 topcase and love it. When you first see it, you think it's going to be HUGE on the back of the bike, but once it's on there, it's perfect. You can also change the color of the lid to match your bike.

As far as sidecases go, I recently purchased the Givi sidecase racks from another member on here and am planning on getting the E21 hard sidecases. I like them because they're big enough to hold stuff for a trip, but don't make the bike so wide that it's weird looking.

A good place to look that has lots of pictures of the different cases offered actually mounted is RL Motorcycles - Home Page and then click on the "motorcycle accessories" link. Most of the pictures are of the cases mounted on a Vstrom, but it'll give you a good idea of what they might look like installed.

My bike with V46 installed:

Attachments

·
Squidly Tendencies ...
247 Posts
on the top case, go big or go home, an e52 and a e45 really aren't that dif on the size standpoint, couple of extra inches isn't going to change the look of your bike BUT it will give you that 7L more space to put stuff into...

·
Registered
622 Posts
I also recommend going big. Mine's the E52 bought from RL Motorcycles. One piece of advice is don't bother buying the backrest pad. It turns out that it pushes the passenger too far forward, so save the $50. However, I do recommend the case's brakelight kit since the Givi rack hides the FZ's brakelight a bit too much for my taste.

Attachments

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
The top case makes 2up touring much nicer...it doubles as a sissy bar. EDIT - no need for the backpad as mentioned by Jim...if your lady is wearing back protection she'll be very comfortable without it.

Mine is a Kappa case that fits with a Givi rack...I'm not sure of the size but it's big.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I tour 2-up and the 52 litre top case is real nice. It is not too big. It makes a great backrest and like Jim said, the backrest pad is not needed. Between the topcase and my large expandable tankbag, I do not have a need for my side bags.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been looking into luggage for awhile aswell. I went through the whole "Show us Your Bike" thread to get a look at some real pic's of various luggage. I went to many other sites in search of the perfect luggage for me. I want to do some solo touring, and some 2-up touring. After all the looking, I came back to my original plan. v35 Side bags, and a v46 top case.
I still have a couple questions tho.
Is there still leg/foot room for the passenger with the v35 bags on?
Does the givi topcase rack work together with the sw-motech quick lock side racks for the v35's?

Anyone know?

TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock Contour Carrier for Givi V35 PLX cases (Yamaha FZ6 S2 Fazer, '07-) - KFT.06.348.150
TwistedThrottle.com : Givi Topcase Rack (Yamaha FZ6, '04-'07) - Givi FZ351

ps. thanks for the heads-up on the backrest, you saved me $50 for sure. :cheers

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been looking into luggage for awhile aswell. I went through the whole "Show us Your Bike" thread to get a look at some real pic's of various luggage. I went to many other sites in search of the perfect luggage for me. I want to do some solo touring, and some 2-up touring. After all the looking, I came back to my original plan. v35 Side bags, and a v46 top case.
I still have a couple questions tho.
Is there still leg/foot room for the passenger with the v35 bags on?
Does the givi topcase rack work together with the sw-motech quick lock side racks for the v35's?

Anyone know?
Dunno for the sw-motech v35, but i have the Givi Topcase rack with the sw-motech quick lock side rack(Monokey) and they work great. They only share one mount point.

You can always check the mounting instruction to get a idea if they would play well together.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the posts.

how does the bike handle with all the extra wind resistance and weight?
also are there any alternatives to givi? (possibly less expensive)

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
thanks for the posts.

how does the bike handle with all the extra wind resistance and weight?
also are there any alternatives to givi? (possibly less expensive)

My Fz6 does not handle any different, since the trunk has been added. The extra weight is no different than my side bags fully loaded. It was not a problem.

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
My Fz6 does not handle any different, since the trunk has been added. The extra weight is no different than my side bags fully loaded. It was not a problem.
+1 It'll wheelie a little better if you really try but other than that it's minimal.

KAPPA makes interchangeable parts! See my first post in this thread.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Overall which ones has a better balancing effect on the geometry and C.G. - side or top case? I guess the side cases. I have been contemplating either of those but not both. Wondering which one would be the best bet?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Overall which ones has a better balancing effect on the geometry and C.G. - side or top case? I guess the side cases. I have been contemplating either of those but not both. Wondering which one would be the best bet?
To do wheelies as Defy mentions, I have to have the topcase fully loaded for it make wheelies easier. BTW, My bike has stock gearing. Overall though the bike rides as if the topcase was not even back there.

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
Overall though the bike rides as if the topcase was not even back there.
+1 I don't like the idea of being wide...it's a motorcycle! There are quite a few other side benefits to a top case as well. Some people just prefer saddlebags...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts