Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Just Kiss The Tip
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys deal with this or similar situations...girls you can answer as well for your boyfriends/husbands....or girlfriends too.

My GF lives about 2 hours away from me. We see each other every weekend or every other weekend. She doesn't ride. She doesn't like to ride, and I'm not the kind that likes riding people on my bike.

So all day today so far I've gotten 4 calls and 2 texts to go on different rides. How do you ride? It's not fun for me or for her to follow me when I'm on bike just around town, and it definitely wouldn't be fun for her if we went out riding as she drove 2 hours to see to me...

....what gives. The sky is clear, temp is nice. I guess for now I have to be satisfied with her following me in the car or something. It's going to be a LONG road to get her involved with riding....she is an overly, safety conscientious, everything has to be done by the book.....well opposites attract.

·
Registered
427 Posts
PIITB.

There, now that thats out of the way. Are you really making her follow you around while you ride? If she isn't into riding for whatever reason, why try to force it? Just because riding is your thing doesn't mean it HAS to be her's too. I say...leave the bike out of it and spend time with your girl. If you would rather be out riding then with her - well, I think that's an answer right there.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Overly safe SO's and MC riding will eventually collide. Eventually either riding or she will start to have the priority and your interest in one or the other will begin to fade. I've lost many riding buddies and many girlfriends in such fashion.

Reactions: velophile

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ummm..... Can you ride during the week? Or hit the roads early in the morning for a couple hours on the weekend, come home and spend the rest of the day w/ your girl?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Depends... Does she make you money or cost you money?

·
Are we not men?
9,023 Posts
Next thing you know she'll offer to get fake tits if you agree to sell the bike.

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
Being a chick that rides and being with a man who rides I can honestly say if one of us were really not into it it wouldn't work . Like BD said eventually things will collide and peharps there will be an ultimatum . Good luck !

Yeah and don't give up the ride for fake titteh's ..not worth ..get a broad that loves bike with teh titteh's loolol

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I'm going to assume you have decided that you wish to keep the relationship.

There's no reason for her to be following you around in a car while you ride; that's silly.

1) In the current situation you don't get much time together and it's a fair drive for her to be with you, so you should be with her when she's there and ride at other times.

2) If/when you live near each other (or together) then sometimes you will go out riding and she will do something else, other times you will spend together. In this case, it would be best if she has her own hobbies and interests to keep her occupied while you are out riding.

3) You may never get her interested in riding. A friend of mine, whom I might well have married had I been single when we met, witnessed a fatal motorcycle accident as a young child, and simply will not consider getting on one. I can understand and respect that, so had we gotten together, we would simply have pursued our own interests at times. She's into golf, and is a big sports fan, neither of which interest me much, so I'd have gone riding on Sundays when the football game is on, etc.

4) In this case it sounds like a real difference in approach to life, so you'd better get clear now what you will choose if it comes down to it. In my case, riding matters to me, and not getting blackmailed into being someone I'm not is even more important to me, so in every relationship I've been in I've been clear that I'm not going to be changing major aspects of my life to appease fears and worries. If she can't handle being in a relationship with a motorcyclist, she's chosen the wrong guy. (And the obverse is true -- if you can't stand to be in a relationship with a non-rider, you've chosen the wrong girl. You have no more right to push her into it than she has to push you out of it; mutual respect is needed.)

Maybe you will be lucky and she'll be able to tolerate your riding as long as she isn't pressured about it. But it's pretty likely that eventually (maybe when you have kids, that's a common break point) she'll need you to make a choice. You'd better have discused it before then, so you both know whether (a) you're willing to give that up, or (b) you're not, and if (b) if she will be able to make her peace with it or will have to leave.

PhilB

·
Registered
561 Posts
The bottom line is when a chick drives 2 hours to see you, ditching her to ride isn't going to happen. Looks like you will have to wait till she goes home. My gf is the same way but we live together, thus see each other all the time anyways so unless we have made specific plans I can jump on the bike whenever I want.
I don't know your relationship but you might consider finding a girlfriend that lives closer. You're young and it would be a shame to waist the best years of your life laying around in bed all day... wait what I'm I saying? PIITB:boink

·
Shut the **** up and ride
5,031 Posts
spend time with her off the bike when she comes to visit.

that means, ride any other time your NOT with her.

if your really that busy that you somehow can only ride when she visits you, then PIITB and tell her to get the fuck out! THEN enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
bro, here's what I'd do. If we had that mutual attraction, so far so good. Next step, does she come from an intact family? Zero divorce, zero step parent kookiness. If all well, most excellent. Next, and this is most important, try to study her MOTHER at every opportunity, without her knowing. If you suspect that she is sexually active (with your girl's father, of course), no matter what the age, then you have a keeper. The girls grow up EXACTLY like their mothers, and this is why the girls hate their mothers, some more, some less.

I would have one more step, but that would've been step one. She'd have to be a God fearing Christian, not a hypocrite, before I'd even talk to her. But, that's me.

Keeper=marriage, and that's for life, then you figure out the riding schedule. To me, only real smart women keep AWAY from bikes, because the damn things are dangerous.

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
Fuck her. If you rode before you met her she needs to get over it. Not to mention the likely hood of ya'll working out isn't that great.

I'll never drop hanging with people I can count on or a good ride over some chick.

Chicks are dumb, and think they can change guys and should be punched in the box for such thoughts:D

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Another fine demonstration of why you have to be careful about following advice from people on the internet:

bro, here's what I'd do. If we had that mutual attraction, so far so good. Next step, does she come from an intact family? Zero divorce, zero step parent kookiness. If all well, most excellent. Next, and this is most important, try to study her MOTHER at every opportunity, without her knowing. If you suspect that she is sexually active (with your girl's father, of course), no matter what the age, then you have a keeper. The girls grow up EXACTLY like their mothers, and this is why the girls hate their mothers, some more, some less.

I would have one more step, but that would've been step one. She'd have to be a God fearing Christian, not a hypocrite, before I'd even talk to her. But, that's me.

Keeper=marriage, and that's for life, then you figure out the riding schedule. To me, only real smart women keep AWAY from bikes, because the damn things are dangerous.
You have a shitload of learning to do. You've got a pile of hard rules that do not always apply in real life, and you're going to get the shit surprised out of you someday.

1) Girls do NOT always grow up to be exactly like their mothers; a girl's mother is some indication, but she may follow her mother or react against her, or choose her own path. Girls don't always hate their mothers either. People do have free will.

2) An intact family is a good sign, but not foolproof. Some families are abusive and stay together anyway. Many families do not stay together, but some individuals from those families may be fine anyway.

3) Smart women, like smart men, may or may not stay away from bikes; you're just being silly here.

4) Another self-righteous "God fearing Christian". Yay. Explains a lot (too much, actually).

As in the "I just got the look of death" thread, I pity the woman who gets involved with you. :(

PhilB

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Fuck her. If you rode before you met her she needs to get over it. Not to mention the likely hood of ya'll working out isn't that great.

I'll never drop hanging with people I can count on or a good ride over some chick.

Chicks are dumb, and think they can change guys and should be punched in the box for such thoughts:D
ha, bro, that's because you've not met one that has that power over ya.

·
Destiny Calls
502 Posts
Some excellent advice in this thread. I approve. :dblthumb

·
Duc Hunter
951 Posts
find someone who is more into your interests, or is more conveniently located. if you're ok with only seeing her seldomly, and she's ok with it, then who cares? ride your bike the other 13 days of the 2 weeks you aren't seeing her.

if it becomes a problem, dump her. partners have no business telling you to stop doing what you love...

1 - 20 of 83 Posts