Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with the popularity of ghetto gear these days? Don't know what I'm talking about, then let me explain...

Companies like Icon, Joe Rocket, and even now Alpinestars seem to be selling more and more ghetto ass sh*t that's made to look casual and perform like crap. Compare the baggy cheapo stuff Icon makes to Dainese, Spidi, Vanson, Kushitani, or Taichi and the quality difference is huge. Joe Rocket is about the same crap-wise and they seem to sell more of their McJackets than anyone. They are both taking on so well that now even the once revered Alpinestars is getting all ghetto fabulous with their entire new line of jackets.

What gives? Why is everyone buying this crap instead of shelling out maybe a tiny bit more for gear that functions? Sportbikes weren't meant for stunting, weren't meant for rappers, they were meant for sport, hence the name. Doing otherwise would be about as stupid as buying an SUV to drive on the street, which apparently the majority of Americans actually do.

The lack of good gear in stores due to people wanting to buy garbage makes me want to puke. Yeah they can afford the $11,000 bike but can't afford anything more than a $130 McHelmet or McJacket. And so all of the rest of us are stuck with the decisions of the majority so that companies that once made excellent sportbike gear have now changed their focus to poser fashion. I really hope this fad dies soon, because I don't want to see another Biker Boyz pissing on our sport like R. Kelly.

:pisson

·
Registered
426 Posts
guess I'm to blame. I got a textile joe rocket jacket.

I wanted a jacket and it was about the only one in the store. So it's going to be a while before I fork over 300 on a good leather jacket.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
The local leather shop up here is jamed full of Icon crap this year all because of the stupified America.

What cracks me up about these gangster wannabes thinking they look original when they all look alike........freaken retards.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Nice. McHelmets, McJackets.

I guess going back to the rant: people just don't care, well most of us. There's only a small fraction of people on the road that probably should be there. The governments don't care because so long as they're putting people on the road, better for the economy, and safety takes a side step. *Conspiracy Theory of the Week*

I love my leather gear because I know it will keep my skin on my person in the event of a crash. I personally would not purchase textile equipment because of its lack of protection, but everybody has their tolerance levels with risk/comfort. I made a comittment to riding SAFELY at all times and that means no alcohol, full gear, "best" gear, best helmet. You can still find top quality gear, its just probably more rare.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
wescoas1 said:
The lack of good gear in stores due to people wanting to buy garbage makes me want to puke. Yeah they can afford the $11,000 bike but can't afford anything more than a $130 McHelmet or McJacket. And so all of the rest of us are stuck with the decisions of the majority so that companies that once made excellent sportbike gear have now changed their focus to poser fashion. I really hope this fad dies soon, because I don't want to see another Biker Boyz pissing on our sport like R. Kelly.
I wear icon gear, but not exclusively...have a whole closet full of gear for different riding conditions. some of the icon stuff is form over function, but most of it is functional for the street. I talked to a dealership owner and he said he is glad to see that more people are wearing gear on the street now than ever before. Any gear is better than shorts and a t shirt, wouldnt you agree? Dont piss on it if you dont like the style, just buy something else.

I wear a leather jacket every time I ride no matter the conditions with a long sleeve adidas climalite shirt underneath to wick the sweat and a back protector, but I wont wear my a'stars leather pants in traffic when its warm...combining that with what I wear up top is way too much to handle when its hot and I'm traveling 10 mph. I wear icon kevlar jeans, superduty pants, or timax pants with armor underneath in traffic. sure I give up protection vs leather, but when its hot you have to compromise and any of these pants are better than jeans.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
seppuku said:
guess I'm to blame. I got a textile joe rocket jacket.

I wanted a jacket and it was about the only one in the store. So it's going to be a while before I fork over 300 on a good leather jacket.
The whole irony with the McGear is that a leather Joe Rocket leather jacket costs friggin $450 and doesn't even have armor whereas you can spend $250 on a much nicer AGVSport jacket or slightly more on an Alpinestars or Teknic jacket that are superior in every way. Shoot, Spidi just had a bunch of really nice leather jackets on closeout for around $250 new, and yet people still spend more to get the Rocket shite. Makes no sense.

:brick

Dont piss on it if you dont like the style, just buy something else.
The whole point is that it's not about style, it's about function. I don't care what it looks like so much as I care how it works. The other key point is that people choosing to buy McGear is limiting the options for everyone else to buy good gear simply because of the way consumer culture impacts businesses' focus (i.e., the new Alpinestars Ghetto line of gear).

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I paid 70 bucks for my kawi factory jacket used on evil-bay auction, has CE approved armor in shoulders, arms, and back with very thick but pliable leather. I just had the seamstress add a zipper so I can zip it to my alpinestars track pants.

:cheers to the miracle of the internet...

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
wescoas1 said:
What's up with the popularity of ghetto gear these days? Don't know what I'm talking about, then let me explain...

Companies like Icon, Joe Rocket, and even now Alpinestars seem to be selling more and more ghetto ass sh*t that's made to look casual and perform like crap. Compare the baggy cheapo stuff Icon makes to Dainese, Spidi, Vanson, Kushitani, or Taichi and the quality difference is huge. Joe Rocket is about the same crap-wise and they seem to sell more of their McJackets than anyone. They are both taking on so well that now even the once revered Alpinestars is getting all ghetto fabulous with their entire new line of jackets.

What gives? Why is everyone buying this crap instead of shelling out maybe a tiny bit more for gear that functions? Sportbikes weren't meant for stunting, weren't meant for rappers, they were meant for sport, hence the name. Doing otherwise would be about as stupid as buying an SUV to drive on the street, which apparently the majority of Americans actually do.

:pisson

:dblthumb Fo' shizzle, my nizzle.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'm sick of people being gear snobs. You can find anything you want on the internet, if not at your local store, so you can get whatever you want there. I don't want to look like a fool in a leather jacket that makes power rangers look stylish. All those bright colors are like 80's style "bling", so no need to bring terms like "ghetto" into the argument. I have a jacket (Icon Neo-Daytona -not the Hero model-) that is simple, has decent armor, and is made of thick enough leather. If you don't like, I guess I simply don't care, but being a little bitch about in on an internet forum won't change what the stores sell, or what people here wear. Good luck with your little quest. That is all...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
well considering i live in az and its hot. I have a mesh/leather perf jacket for the summer. and for the rest of the year i have a JR blaster jacket that i have crashed in twice and came out unscathed say for a lil abrasion.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
2_wheeled_slave said:
I'm sick of people being gear snobs. You can find anything you want on the internet, if not at your local store, so you can get whatever you want there. I don't want to look like a fool in a leather jacket that makes power rangers look stylish. All those bright colors are like 80's style "bling", so no need to bring terms like "ghetto" into the argument. I have a jacket (Icon Neo-Daytona -not the Hero model-) that is simple, has decent armor, and is made of thick enough leather. If you don't like, I guess I simply don't care, but being a little bitch about in on an internet forum won't change what the stores sell, or what people here wear. Good luck with your little quest. That is all...
Are you trying to tell me that the iced-out "Bling" model of that jacket is retro '80s Rodeo Drive style?

http://www.kuci.org/~ziba/NiggaPleaseCereal.jpg

I like the simplicity of the Neo-Daytona model as well, but I think the issues are with the concepts of style instead of function, and not based on single offerings or brands, but the influx of the same concerns changing entire lines of clothing towards "Hero", "Bling", "Ice", "Spinner", and the like, instead of focusing on protective features. The fit, seam construction, and functions like the ability to properly attach to other protective pieces is not high on the list of priorities with these decisions, which causes the market to move in that direction, which only makes the more protective options that much more expensive, that much less advanced in those areas, and that much less available. We want the market to move forward from the upper levels, not revert back to comfort or style solutions that happen to provide some protective features as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a Dainese jacket that cost almost $700 and for the summer I have the ICON perf leather "pursuit" jacket. I can agree that the quality is not the same BUT the ICON jacket only cost $300 and I think it will do fine in a crash....it is pretty cool in the heat (today it is 95 with heat index of 101) and I am one of the few even wearing leather in these temps

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I don't see how the more Urban styled gear will take away from you being able to buy the kind of gear you want. Who cares what people wear, if they give up protection for looks, who cares. Some can find looks + protection and some can't, for those who can't, it means you have to give something up. Whatever they do is not going to affect what you you wear. Speaking of jackets....

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Ca$h said:
I don't see how the more Urban styled gear will take away from you being able to buy the kind of gear you want. Who cares what people wear, if they give up protection for looks, who cares. Some can find looks + protection and some can't, for those who can't, it means you have to give something up. Whatever they do is not going to affect what you you wear. Speaking of jackets....

When all of the development and marketing efforts go into "urban-styled" gear instead of protective features and issues, then that affects what others wear, because that affects what is manufactured and what is ultimately more widely available. Econ 101.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
That I get, if the demand is for the urban styled stuff, the supply for more race inspored stuff is down. yea got that.

I was just wondering why does he care what other people wear? It will never get to a point where all riding gear is less protective and more flashy. Joe rocket is crap, ICON is making a name for itself by just offering that(urban style). They came into the industry with that in mind, not making everyone look like a wannabe racer. Protection is top priority and i am not a huge ICON fan, but bottom line is that not all companies are going to go that route.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Ca$h said:
That I get, if the demand is for the urban styled stuff, the supply for more race inspored stuff is down. yea got that.

I was just wondering why does he care what other people wear? It will never get to a point where all riding gear is less protective and more flashy. Joe rocket is crap, ICON is making a name for itself by just offering that(urban style). They came into the industry with that in mind, not making everyone look like a wannabe racer. Protection is top priority and i am not a huge ICON fan, but bottom line is that not all companies are going to go that route.
If decisions based on style were secondary considereations, then it wouldn;t change anything, but when the level of protection drops down below that which is easily attainable and appropriate based on known injury data, then the issues arise. The CE standards in Europe seek to solve those problems, as do the various helmet standards. They provide a level of safety that is appropriate for the activity, then allow us to choose the style and comfort issues after establishing the level of protection to a baseline where price and specs are no longer concerns for safety.

It's the sacrifice of what's ultimately improtant that is anyone's concern in the direction of gear decisions, and the future choices. Every option and direction available now for any goods or products is a direct reflection of what was improtant to prior generation. That's whether you are talking bikes, gear, or tea in China. It's the same reason their are so few choices in chest protection, the same reason built-in back pads are worthless, and the same reason why titanium plates are listed as "armor". Because riders have cared more about other aspects of their gear and maintain other reasons for wearing it.

If you want gear to be a protective solution, you need to put you money into protective solutions. It's bad enough tht most of the supposed protective solutions aren't proven most of the time.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
ok why are we arguing about this? if you want to support "true" gear, then buy it. buy lots of it. attend every MSF class as a guest instructor and lecture to the new riders about gear and what to buy, that would probably be the best route.

as for me, I know what works for me in different situations...and what works is always a compromise. I like my skin more than anyone, and I gear up in the best way I can every time I ride. I know quality leather apparel is superior but lets be real it can be pure misery in full leathers out in serious southwest heat if you are riding in town. the 'real' gear will always be there for purchase dont worry you will always have rs taichi, spidi, AGV, arlen ness, etc., in addition to all the custom leather makers out there.

I'm not an icon fanboy but I do applaud them for going in a different direction with gear, because it gets people who normally wouldnt wear anything protective at all to at least wear something. To me, that's a positive. And I can go to the store and blend...somewhat.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
But when your local store is full of the look at me sissy boy crap,one just can't go in and try it on to see how it feels,one is forced to order off the net and go through the process of sending it back because one size 42 in one brand is not the same as another brand.

This is my gripe about it.If they want to sell it fine,but keep the quality gear in stock as well.

As always though,people are going to sell what the uninformed ignorant masses want.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think the popularity of Icon is a good thing because most newbies wouldnt wear gear and since their shit is more fashionable and cheaper, the dude who just bought the bike and didnt plan on getting any gear can afford it. After one crash and if or when it doesnt hold up, then they'll realize they need something better. Its kinda starter gear for newbs. So I dont think you should be hating on it. Its just helping out new guys by steering them in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts