Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend is taking the MSF course next week. I have helped her narrow her interest to a Ninja 250 or a Shadow VLX600. I think (hope) she opts for the Ninja, but it's all about what she feels most comfortable/confident on. She really likes the looks of the SV650S. I suggested she make that one her next bike. Anyway, I am seeking advice or words of wisdom from female riders. By the way, she is 5'2", so seat height is a major issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, I had a SV650 and it is a very fun and forgiving bike. However, with your gf at 5'2" she is going to have problems reaching the ground for sure. I am a relatively tall female so I didn' thave the height issues.
Other riders who are vertically challenged have gone as far as switching out their dogbones to lower the bike as well as cutting foam from the seat. Aside from that, you're really not going to have too many more options without drastically messing up the handling of the bike.

While she is still relatively new at riding, the ninja 250 may be a better starter. Only because it is slightly lower and will be easier for her to move around. When I say move around, I mean such as in the garage or in or out of packing spaces etc.

After she has a few thousand miles on the ninja, the SV would make an awesome 2nd bike. Check out SVrider.com. If she decides to go with the SV this will by far be the best knowledge base out there.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Being able to get both feet on the ground is a real comfort to most (especially women it seems). I would spend a lot of time with her sitting on the various bikes she's considering and make sure she's comfortable moving the bike around while sitting on the saddle. There are ways to lower just about any bike (shave the seat, new seat, modify suspension, etc.), but she needs to decide if she needs to be able to "flat foot" it or are the balls of her feet OK. The first time one goes to put a foot down on a slope or in a pot hole or other unusual circumstance can be quite un-nerving. It all depends on her level of comfort on the bike.

I once rode behind a couple for a short distance. He was on a GSX-R 1000 and she on a 'Busa. :eek: She looked like an accident looking for the best place to happen. I couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Good for her, and good for you for standing behind your gf. Getting both feet on the ground is usually an issue with women, I know it is for me, and I'm 5'5".. I still have problems on new bikes.. I put racing shocks on my bikes, but that can get spendy. If I were her, I would go for what is comforatable for her, but push I'd puch for the twofiddy.. They are SO much fun to ride, and it'll get her used to being on a "sorta" sportbike...

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
+1 on the 250. it is important to be able to touch at least somewhat when initally learning. after she learns balancing, then it won't be such a big deal. make her a deal, learn on the 250 this summer and get the sv next year when she has more experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts