Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three months ago I posted about the loss of my beloved dog Guy. Now I must do the same for my buddy Adam.

Those of you on here for a long time may remember Adam and his sister Evie's story: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6-fz6r/428301-wtf-o-t.html

They were dumped at around a month old along with their brother (who we later gave away) back in early 2010 to freeze to death in a snowbank about a quarter-mile from my house. The two pics show them the day I found them and brought them home. Adam is the brindle.

He grew into a small in stature - knee high - 65 lb pittie mix with a huge heart that only wanted to make friends and be loved and return that love a thousand fold in return.

He loved to play tug-o'-war with his rope and run and fetch. He especially loved to cuddle in anyone's lap or sleep alongside or on top of me in bed.

When I took all the dogs out Saturday AM I heard him yelp. Not sure why but he started having more and more pain as the day went by and losing the usage of his rear legs. Two frantic trips to the vet over the weekend resulted in him being kept for observation Sunday night.

Monday morning we got the call we had been dreading. He was completely paralyzed in the hips and rear legs. Somehow he had slipped a disc in his spine. If he had any chance a walking again he had to be rushed to Little Rock. CAT scan and surgery would be $5500.00 with no guarantee he would ever walk. If I had a 100% assurance he would've walked I would have done it.

We made the decision to have him put down yesterday afternoon at 3:30 PM. We hugged him and told him bye. He wagged his tail and rolled over as best he could for a belly rub.

RIP baby. You will be missed.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Sorry to hear that, man. We had a yellow lab many years back that was only 2 years old when she started getting hip displaysia. It got to the point where one hip would pop out and then the other as well. Surgery wasn't guaranteed to fix anything, and my parents house is set up such that you can't get in/out without going up/down steps.

The lab that they got after she was put down, just had to be put down a few weeks ago as well due to liver failure, being diabetic, starting to go deaf, and joint pain. All on top of my mom going through Chemo right now. Needless to say, these things never happen at a "good" time.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Sorry for your loss Kirk. I have lost dogs and it sucks.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Fuck you, Rhetorik.
fuck you. . .

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Damn, that blows. Sorry for your loss, it's never easy. They become almost like kids.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone. I know there are many dog lovers on here and you know how it feels.

More good news:

When I was burying Adam Monday night we noticed our Mastiff, Lovey, running around trying to pee. She couldn't pass anything. This went on for around three hours. Everytime she'd come in the house, she'd be frantic to get back out and try to pee. So we called the vet and I made a trip for meds for her. As of yesterday morning she still hadn't passed anything so my wife took her over around noon to the vet.

Ultrasound was done and showed no stones. She did have a bladder/urinary infection which is what the meds I went and got were for. They put her under and catheterized her to drain the copious amount of fluid she had in her bladder. Vet just talked to my wife and she is not to optimistic. She has a lot of pain back there today and is not eating/drinking/passing anything. They are going to do x-rays to see if there is anything else going on. She has had cancer in the past and is going on 10 so prognosis isn't good. Tey think there is a combination infection/neurological problem going on.

(sigh)

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Damn, hope you can catch a break soon!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
When it rains it pours.. Keep your chin up man. We can't appreciate the good times without the bad times.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've heard that said many times... I don't think I need to see the Cardinals suck like they are now to enjoy them when they win. lol

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well Lovey is gone. Bone spurs in spine, vertebrae towards end of spine were separating, losing ability use rear legs from that, virus from tick bite, bad infection from not being able to pass fluids. We had her for seven wonderful years, she was close to 10 overall.

Took this picture not too long ago. I jokingly said she'd had too much Tequila the night before.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts