Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from Iowa, and have had no riding experience. I dont have a full time job, as I am only 17 right now. I will be 18 in August. I was basically wondering on insurance and that sort of thing if I could even afford a bike right now. I have about 700 saved up for a bike, and I'm really thinking about getting a 250 Ninja. Do you guys think I could really do this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
None of us can accurately assess your personal financial situation. You'll have to figure out for yourself if you can really afford it. Getting into this 'sport', you'll quickly discover it's a money pit. In addition to bike cost and yearly insurance premium, you're gonna spend $$$$$ on full protective gear (helmet, armored jacket/pants/gloves/boots), tires, maintenance, the modifications you'll inevitably want, or more likely the 'better bike' you'll be saving up for and the mods for it (btw, $700 ain't gonna get you much bike -- and it'll probably require some TLC $$$). Don't forget about life and health insurance. It helps to learn to do your own maintenance - saves money in the long run, but you do have to invest some cash in quality tools. Oh yeah, take the MSF Basic Rider Course, no matter what it costs (some states are free, some charge $200+). You said you have no riding experience, so PLEASE take the MSF class, for your safety and the safety of those who share the road with you.

·
Registered
584 Posts
$700 would buy you a somewhat decent gear set (if even that). Good choice of a first bike though. Just keep saving. Buy the gear before you buy the bike so you're ready to hop on it once you pick it up

·
Registered
584 Posts
oh, and about insurance: make sure you get the health and liability (at minimum). I was lucky that I get free health/medical so I only paid $101/yr for Liability

·
Registered
96 Posts
go wtih progressive. I've had 5 (speeding) tickets, and only pay 150 a year for my ex500. But I am almost 30 years old too....

·
old member
13,079 Posts
nathan_m_2005 said:
I have no idea what insurance runs on bikes in Iowa though. And I have no idea what kind of insurance to look for.
Do you/your family have car insurance? If so, for starters call your agent and ask him/her for the same coverage you have on your cars. You'll likely at least need liability. You may not need theft and comprehensive if you don't care about replacing the bike if it gets stolen or you wreck it. There's no amount of guessing we can do to tell you how much it will cost in your situation. Be prepared for a shock BTW especially if your record isn't perfect.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
nathan_m_2005 said:
I'm from Iowa, and have had no riding experience. I dont have a full time job, as I am only 17 right now. I will be 18 in August. I was basically wondering on insurance and that sort of thing if I could even afford a bike right now. I have about 700 saved up for a bike, and I'm really thinking about getting a 250 Ninja. Do you guys think I could really do this?
Go to the Iowa forum, there are insurance monkeys among us.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Im 17 also. Go for insurance on your parents plan if you can. It will be a whole lot cheaper. As for the bike, stay with a 250 or 500 and save up money till you got maybe 1500 assuming you can find a good priced bike then ya need $$$ for gear and repairs if ya dump it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts